The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
triker

Factory Crimp or Taper Crimp on 45 ACP?

I am going to buy a set of Lee Dies for 45 ACP. I already have a Taper Crimp die for the 45 ACP. Should I buy the 4 die set that has the Factory Crimp die or just buy the 3 die set and use the Taper Crimp die I already have? Is there a benefit of the Factory over the Taper Crimp? I always used the Taper Crimp years ago when reloading ( no factory crimp available then) and it worked fine. thanks Triker
Old November 30, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
mumbo719

I've shot ammo with and without the LEE FCD. To me it's a wash, both were accurate and fed reliably.

There are people that swear by them, I am just not one of them.
Old November 30, 2011, 02:55 PM   #3
bossman

For the price I'd go ahead with the 4 die set. It helps with making sure the round is the correct size and you would have an extra taper die if ever need.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old November 30, 2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Adamantium

For the price you might as well get the 4 die set. The only time I have ever consistently used the FCD is for one barrel which had a very tight chamber, nothing would chamber consistantly without running it through the FCD. Other than that it just gathers dust but for the cost it is nice to have.
Old November 30, 2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Don P

I use the FCD and to date no problems with feeding issues
Old November 30, 2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Lemmon

The Lee FCD corrected my goofs.....

I started reloading back in the early 70's and never threw anything away. Had loaded some 45ACP 200 grain wad cutters back then but they would not feed in my pistol. I put them aside to work on later. Recently I purchased the Lee Factory Crimp Die and ran those reloads through the die and they worked great. It was worth the investment to have on hand for those rounds that just don't fit right. The Lee FCD corrects your flubs...

Lemmon
Old November 30, 2011, 04:09 PM   #7
k4swb

FCD

In the .45 ACP the Lee FCD is a taper crimp. The only thing about the die is that IF there is a case that is not small enough the bottom of the die has a carbide ring that resizes the case when it is first inserted and THEN when it reaches full upward position it puts on the taper crimp with a different part in the die.

The lower carbide ring ONLY TOUCHES THE ROUND IF NEEDED. Most times the ring does nothing at all.

Also on the taper crimp part it has an adjustable stem, kinda like the seater so you just use the stem instead of screwing the die in and out to adjust.

I loaded a thousand plated bullets once and while I did check a few by dropping them into my chambers I later found that about half wouldn't chamber so instead of pulling them all or dropping every one in I just bought a FCD and ran them back throuugh. Worked like a charm.

If I already had a standard taper crimp die I would by the set with the FCD as it performs the same thing plus has an added step if needed.
Old November 30, 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
chris in va

My Glock didn't care what got fed into it, but my CZ absolutely requires the FCD with it's tighter chamber.
Old November 30, 2011, 07:59 PM   #9
savagelover

I THINK THE FACTORY IS THE SAME AS THE ROLL CRIMP..IT IS SO YOUR ROUNDS WILL CHAMBER BETTER IN A SEMI AUTO
Old November 30, 2011, 08:10 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagelover

I THINK THE FACTORY IS THE SAME AS THE ROLL CRIMP..IT IS SO YOUR ROUNDS WILL CHAMBER BETTER IN A SEMI AUT
Roll crimp and taper crimp are significantly different. The 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth and if you have a roll crimp, you are very likely to have issues with reliable firing and possibly case head separation if it does fire.

No crimping die that I know of (designed for the 45 ACP, not to be confused with the 45 AutoRim) applies a roll crimp. All apply a taper crimp.

A taper crimp is essentially just enough squeezing down to remove any residual case mouth bell left over from the belling done to allow bullet entry into the case. Much more than that compromises reliability and safety.

To answer the original question: The Lee FCD applies a taper crimp to 45 ACP cartridges. Lee FCDs for cartridges that headspace on a rim (most revolver rounds) apply a roll crimp, but can be adjusted to effectively apply a pseudo-taper crimp if desired.

Lost Sheep
Old November 30, 2011, 08:10 PM   #11
CrustyFN

This is the most civil FCD discussion I have seen, let's hope it stays that way. I like the FCD's because they are supposed to be less sensitive to case length. I don't like that they are advertised as a tool for fixing bad ammo. I like to use the post sizing ring as a case gauge. When one does get sized I set it to the side for inspection. In five years and thousands of rounds I have only had two rounds get post sized. They were FMJ in 9mm. I load lead in 45 auto and have never had a problem.

Last edited by CrustyFN; November 30, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:17 PM   #12
mikld

In my opinion, there is no need for a sizing/crimping die (FCD). If reloaded properly, a 45.ACP case will chamber without squishing down the finished case. One way to look at it is there must have been millions of .45 ACP rounds reloaded (and my few thousand) before the advent of the Lee FCD. As I said, my opinion...

For the OP, just get the 3 die set, learn to adjust your dies properly, and use the taper crimp die.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:49 PM   #13
savagelover

Lost Sheep------------You are correct about the roll crimp..I am not into pistols much but I do know the head space is on the cast mouth..My mistake and thanks for correcting me..I am a revolver man..lol
Old December 1, 2011, 12:09 AM   #14
Charlie_98

Taper crimp on all my semi-auto handgun loads, 90% of my revolver loads (roll crimp being reserved for Magnum loads of 2400 or W296.)

I use Lee FCD on some of my rifle rounds, but not on handgun rounds.
Old December 1, 2011, 03:43 PM   #15
triker

Thanks for the replys everyone. I think I will go ahead and just buy the 4 die set. Not that much more money and if I ever get some brass that won't chamber because of to fat, I will have the die to fix them. I will probably just use my Taper Crimp for regular loading. I have the FCD as well as the Taper Crimp dies for my 9mm also, so will have both for both loadings. thanks guys, Triker
Old December 1, 2011, 06:04 PM   #16
hk33ka1

I buy the Lee four die sets and an extra taper crimp die.

I can then choose to not crimp, crimp with seater die, Factory crimp and post size (usually taper crimp) with FCD, or just taper crimp for my fatter cast boolits with TCD
Old December 2, 2011, 07:33 AM   #17
Don P

Quote:
Not that much more money and if I ever get some brass that won't chamber because of to fat, I will have the die to fix them. I will probably just use my Taper Crimp for regular loading. I have the FCD as well as the Taper Crimp dies for my 9mm also, so will have both for both loadings. thanks guys, Triker
Just to clarify for you triker, your bullet seating/crimp die is the roll crimp.
Your Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) is the TAPER CRIMP die.
By using the FCD you will NEVER bulge the case from crimping as is possible using the roll crimp.
Old December 2, 2011, 11:09 AM   #18
triker

To Don P. Are you saying that the Crimp die that comes with the 45ACP set is a roll crimp die? Why would they put a roll crimp die in a set for semi-auto gun? I have a true taper crimp die for the 45ACP. I think I want the FCP in addition. Triker
Old December 2, 2011, 11:25 AM   #19
Don P

The bullet seating die which also crimps the round is a roll crimp. The FCD is the one that is the taper crimp.
Lee's web sight has video's that explain how set the dies up and how they work. www.leeprecision.com

Quote:
To Don P. Are you saying that the Crimp die that comes with the 45ACP set is a roll crimp die? Why would they put a roll crimp die in a set for semi-auto gun? I have a true taper crimp die for the 45ACP. I think I want the FCP in addition. Triker
Re-read my original post. The bullet seat die ALSO CRIMPS THE ROUND.
I suggest you go to the Lee web sight and watch the video's. They are very informative.

Quote:
the Crimp die that comes with the 45ACP set is a roll crimp die
No the 4 th die is the taper crimp die. The bullet seating die is the one that also crimps BUT it is the ROLL crimp

Last edited by Don P; December 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM.