The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2011, 03:10 AM   #1
engineermike

Hodgdons HS-6?

Thinking about buy some HS-6 powder for my 9 mm and my 40 S&W. Can anyone who used this powder tell me if it burns clean and if you use it in the calibers listed above how does it work?
Old November 28, 2011, 03:38 AM   #2
caz223

I used it in 9 and 40 for a few years.
It's not very clean burning, I loaded it to +p levels and it's very good shooting at high power levels-but loaded quite hot it still burns a little dirty.
It leaves brown crud in your fired cases.
I switched from HS-6 to WSF.
WSF burns cleaner, you use less powder, and the pressure curve is very close.
The downside to WSF is not a lot of load data is available.
I'm still trying to decide between WSF, unique, and power pistol-leaning toward power pistol.
Years ago there was some data on loading 9mm for major power factor at Brian Enos's forums-that's where I went with HS-6. There are better powders now.
I don't shoot steel plates anymore, I don't need to load it so hot, and regular powders work fine.
People over there -http://www.brianenos.com/forums - still use HS-6 for 9mm major loads but there are new red flags concerning the unburned powder being very abrasive and wearing out barrels. I figured all powders were basically graphite and would be fine, but partially burned powders may be more like sandpaper.
I still have a soft spot for HS-6, and I would use it if I needed 9mm major power factor -but I don't, so I think I'll go with power pistol and SAAMI load data.

Short version-it's dirty, don't bother unless you're gonna load it hot, and it's still dirty.

Last edited by caz223; November 28, 2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old November 28, 2011, 04:42 AM   #3
engineermike

Thanks Caz, I'll look into the WSF. I like the Power Pistol except for the fire ball that came out the end of my barrel. (Fire Ball may not be completely accurate) Been using a lot of HP-38 it works well but looking for something that give me more consistent groups.
Old November 28, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
frank_1947

I used hs-6 for long time until we all went to Ramshot Silouette HS-6 left alot of unburnt powder and dirty
Old November 28, 2011, 11:12 PM   #5
Huskerguy

just great

I picked up some HS-6 to work up loads in for my 40 and 9. I got pretty accurate loads with the 40 but went back to my tried and true Titegroup. It just works for me. Now I am working up some loads with 115 grain bullets and HS-6. No results yet as they are setting on my bench ready to take to the range. I did work up some 124 grain 9's using 4.1 grains of Titegroup and they are nice accurate rounds and low recoil. It must be me but I really like Titegroup. I try other powders and always come back to it.
Old November 29, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
overkill0084

I haven't used a bunch of it. But what I've seen so far, I like.
Worth noting, I don't worry too much about clean burning since 99% of my ammo is cast bullets. How clean can they get?

I've used it in warm to hot 9mm and .45 with good results. It meters well and I've not had any odd issues with it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old November 29, 2011, 02:16 PM   #7
briandg

I had been loading accurate #2 for years, and bought hs6 to power up my 9mm loads. the first round of hs6 that went through that thing had snap like I had never shot before. At that time, I'd never even run a factory load through it.
Old November 30, 2011, 01:47 PM   #8
abercasten

HS6, for me leaves a lot of unburned powder granules in the action of my SR9. I've been rather disappointed with it. It does give a hair more oomph than Titegroup when loaded hot, but I'll agree with Huskerguy. I've settled on Titegroup as my primary pistol powder because it's clean(er), cheap, and effective.
Old November 30, 2011, 07:47 PM   #9
engineermike

Well, I went with the WSF and liked it but after shooting HP-38 and some other cleaner burning powders I find the WSF to leave a little carbon but not big chunks. Still working up a load with the WSF but not going to be a favorite as yet. Still liking the Accurate #5, Hodgdon Universal, and going to do some more work with the Tightgroup powder I have. I guess I will stay with the cleaner burning powder for now.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Tbojo

HS6 is best when loaded near max. - being a little slower than some of the other powders mentioned it needs higher pressures to burn completely. Not a very good choice for light target loads.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:50 PM   #11
caz223

HS-6 and WSF are both very forgiving and based on similar chemistry.
Slow burning powders like these 2 do better near max, absolutely.
They also usually like longer barrels and heavier bullets.
Light bullet+short barrel+slow powder= big flash-usually, unless an additive is used. It depends. Some slow burning powders are better than others.
Faster burning powders usually burn cleaner, have less recoil and flash (And power.), but they generally are less forgiving of mistakes like overcharging and bullet setback issues. They are usually not loaded hot because of this.
Most people have definite preferences about which is 'better'.
It all comes down to which is better for you, your gun, your shooting style, and your ammo preferences.

Of course you can always just get lucky and stumble onto a great shooting ammo combination that doesn't make sense-most of them do require a little trial and error.

Last edited by caz223; November 30, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old December 1, 2011, 11:24 AM   #12
engineermike

I believe you guys might be right. I only worked up four loads, two different C.O.L's and two different powder loads. The bullets with the shorter C.O.L. (1.120) and the larger powder load was the more accurate of the loads, when shooting S&W 40 with WSF powder. I was going to quit at what I had but now I may go and load a few more and go a little higher on the powder charge. (I have a little more room to go before I blow myself up )