The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 7, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1
shootniron

Keltec...

Was at my LGS Saturday drooling around and talking guns with the owner and one of the sales guys. During our discussion, Keltecs came up and I had noticed that he only had 3 in the case where over the last several years he always had about 10. I thought to asked him about this and he told me that Keltec was his best selling gun for years but it had gotten to where he could not hardly give them away. As a matter of fact, he said when the 3 in the case sold, he would not be ordering anymore to replace them.

I was surprised at this, as I would have thought that the price would have kept them near the top in sales numbers.
Old November 7, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Furminator

People either love kel-tec or hate them, a lot of the time depending on the experiences they've had with them. I have noticed more kel-tec PF9s available for sale, for a while there you could not find them anywhere.

As a side note, there is now an aluminum trigger available for the PF9 that reputedly improves the feel and function of the gun. I have bought one and am looking forward to installing it in the near future.
Old November 7, 2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Stressfire

In my experience with my 1 Keltec (P3AT), they are good for the price.

Trigger had a bad habit of not resetting on mine - often took 5-6 trigger pulls to get a round to fire. That did stop for the most part after 150 rounds. Then it would usually double feed or stovepipe, although that was more than likely due to limp-wristing - big hands, tiny grip, not a great combo.

I liked it well enough, but it just felt cheap. Traded it in for a compact 1911.
Old November 7, 2011, 06:44 PM   #4
vyse.04

In the past, the LGSs in my area had a hard time actually getting new firearms from Kel-Tec. I don't know what the issue was, but it seemed like the demand exceeded the supply (I think that was due to limited quantities being made or sent out). I think they offer a good value at the price, although originally I was very skeptical. At the very least though, I like that they constantly try to add something else to the market.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Stressfire

Quote:
At the very least though, I like that they constantly try to add something else to the market.
Indeed, I really want to check out the KSG when it comes out.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:37 PM   #6
xMINORxTHREATx

The owner of my LGS told me that recently they had trouble ordering because they slowed production of 99% of their line up to focus on the KSG and the RFB.

I love my PF9, carry it everyday, and put up nice groups @ 7 yards, and this aluminum trigger I just heard about (THANKS Furminator!!!) is next on my shopping list.

I agree though, you either love them or hate them. I've never had an issue, and carry one everyday (therefore trusting the gun with my life) but YMMV.
Old November 7, 2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Toney

I think KT has some good ideas or ruger would'nt copied them. But i think KT is really into making guns for dealers to sale at action for about three times what there worth. Ive still not laid hands on a pmr.
Old November 7, 2011, 10:34 PM   #8
SamNavy

Their standard handguns, the P32 P3AT PF9 P11 in stock everywhere and have been on just about every table at our local gunshows. For the prices of these guns, it's tough to complain. I've seen the P3AT advertised for $199.

On the other hand, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE to get Sub 2000's back on the shelves?
Old November 7, 2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Carry_24/7

Ruger may have copied their idea, but the quality of a Keltec vs a Ruger is "other worldly."

I agree, when I look at the LCP, I can see the Keltec influence....but not the quality.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Bill DeShivs

"Quality" is a very subjective term.
The keltecs were designed to be: small, lightweight, reliable carry guns. They meet these objectives admirably.
The Ruger is marketing genius: take a proven design, make it look better, make it heavier (heavier is better, right?), price it higher. Sell the sizzle-not the steak.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:44 AM   #11
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
The keltecs were designed to be: small, lightweight, reliable carry guns. They meet these objectives admirably.
The Ruger is marketing genius: take a proven design, make it look better, make it heavier (heavier is better, right?), price it higher. Sell the sizzle-not the steak.
You couldn't be more right. I've owned 2 P3ATs, 2 PF-9s, one Sub2000 and one PLR-16. Not a single jam in any one of them and I'm talking at least 1,500 rounds is the lowest count out of the bunch.

When my dad was looking for a pocket gun he was thinking of the LCP. I told him about the P3AT but after looking at it, he still wanted the LCP because he knows Ruger and it also looks nicer.

I don't know, I really dig the looks of my P3AT and find the checkering a much better grip over the LCP.

Old November 8, 2011, 01:49 PM   #12
sgms

Never had a bit of trouble with any I have owned other than P-11 needing a trigger shoe and mag extender to get 3 fingers on the grip.(how many other 12 round pocket sized 9 m/m's are out there?) They are not a go to the range and shot a lot gun but as a BUG they are very good.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:37 PM   #13
Idahoser

snobs. They would buy the KT when it was the only one, but when Ruger or Walther makes a close copy, they want that instead. Not better, they just want the name. I'll stick with the original.
Old November 8, 2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

At a gun show over the weekend one dealer with a large number of tables had an excellent display. In addition to having the guns grouped by manufacturer, he had a few for easy comparison. Particularly a Ruger LC9 right next to a Kel-Tec Pf9. The Ruger just plain felt better in my hand. Not only a little better in the fit and finish, but just better in-hand feel. I asked if with displaying them like that they sold more Rugers or Kel-Tecs. I was told way more Rugers.
I have the CCW needs covered, but still plan on a LC9 in the future. Kind of an in-between with my Elsie, and S/A XD40 Subcompact.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 8, 2011, 07:47 PM   #15
batmann

I have a KT P3AT and it has been 100% reliable. The Ruger vs KT quality thing is, IMHO, overblown. They are both poly framed pocket pistols, both have a good track record of reliability, but the KT wins on price alone.
As for avalibility, the KT's are getting harder to find, I know I have been looking for a SU-16 C for months.
Old November 10, 2011, 03:16 AM   #16
imthegrumpyone

Kel-Tec's were made for one thing only, they are not range guns. They were made to protect your a55 for a economical price. I have two P-40s I carry(one at a time) and a third one for a parts gun sense they quit making them tears ago, you can't find parts. I have complete faith in mine as a 19/7 carry gun, they have never failed to go bang when needed too.
Old November 11, 2011, 01:14 AM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
snobs. They would buy the KT when it was the only one, but when Ruger or Walther makes a close copy, they want that instead.
Walther doesn't make any firearms that are anything close to Kel-Tec copies.
Old November 11, 2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Terry A

Quote:
November 8, 2011, 01:43 AM #10
Bill DeShivs

One thing I'd like to add is that Ruger spends waaaay more on advertising than KelTec does. Seems like every other episode of Guns & Ammo TV has Dick Metcalf fawning all either a Ruger LCP or a Ruger LCR. "Reviews" for the two aforementioned handguns are also in seemingly every other edition of any gun magazines. I'm sure these are two fine handguns, but it's kind of over-kill on the reviews already.

Like you said, Ruger is a marketing genius!

Still, I'm quite content with my KelTec PF9.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 11, 2011, 05:34 PM   #19
TennJed

I too have noticed that there seem to more Kel Tec's available at the LGS and shows.

My opinion is that it is probably because of so much more competition out there now. Every company makes a "pocket" 9 and most have a pocket 380.

Don't know what it will mean long term for Kel Tec, but they seem pretty good at innovation so I would bet they will be fine long term.

I am a bit of a fan boy. I currenty have a p3at (100%) and a p11 (100%) ...I paid $189 and $245 new in box for them.....great gun for the value and I would absolutely trust my life to them
Old November 11, 2011, 05:44 PM   #20
engineer88

I personally love my PF9's and P32's. They are flat out reliable over thousands of rounds through them. The P3AT and P11 I used to have never had issues either. The P3AT had hiccups in the first few hundred rounds but after that it was good. All the rest have been flawless out of the box.
Old November 12, 2011, 09:16 AM   #21
Frizzman

I have had a P32 for about 6 years. The finish has worn from constant pocket carry in a horsehide pocket holster. It has been 100% reliable with never a failure to function. I finally wore a spring down to the point that it needed replacing. I contacted the company and they sent me the new part at no cost.

Not long ago, I got a well worn P3AT in a trade that wouldn't function. I sent it to Kel-Tec for estimate and repair. They told me it would be 6 weeks. Six weeks later I recieved a call and was told it would be $40 to repair it. I paid that and the pistol was back in two days. When I opened the box, I thought it was a new pistol. Looking at the work order, it turned out that they put a new slide and barrel on it and new internal parts. I was shocked that they did all that for so little. That is outstanding customer service! I have never been treated like that by any gun company and I have delt with many in the last 40 years.
Old November 12, 2011, 08:47 PM   #22
Dr_2_B

I believe the only Kel-Tec I had an issue with was my PF-9. I sent it in and they took care of it. Admittedly, I haven't tested my P11, PF-9, or P3AT as much as I could've/should've, but I have very positive feelings about them.
Old November 12, 2011, 09:53 PM   #23
orionengnr

Quote:
There are a number of us who have owned multiple K-Ts (in my case, four), and would take serious issue with this assessment.
I will never again give K-T the benefit of the doubt (four times bitten, forever shy), and if given one free of charge I would tie it to a sandbag or cinder block and throw it into the nearest deep body of water.
Old November 13, 2011, 07:51 AM   #24
Dr_2_B

Heh heh.
Old November 13, 2011, 12:07 PM   #25
PT-92

I've had great performance from both of my Kel-TEc products (P11 and Sub2K). They are what they are, cheap reliable wepons made for defensive purposes and not K's rounds downrange (I have other guns for that). Just my two cents. Like everything else, there will be lemons in every lot of everything produced everwhere in the world (that's obviously why it's important to fire a weapon many times to ensure reliability--gun-nuts like us do but 'regular' people looking for a nightstand gun or CCW piece do not).

-Cheers