The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2011, 03:14 AM   #1
yo0123yo

Recommendations for a small yet powerful pistol?

I will definitely be ordering it from BudsGunShop online they have awesome price but anyways...In the past, I have owned a Ruger P95, did not jam once and had no problems at all but I sold it one year ago because I live in Illinois and Illinois is the only state that doesn't ccw but I have a business in Indiana i drive to daily so I'm getting a non-resident ccw from there but in the meantime I am looking for something small, reliable and definitely powerful, this is for personal protection. I have heard many suggestions, it doesn't matter if its a .380, 9mm, .40, or .45 as long as it is small, reliable and powerful.One of my buddies suggested the Ruger LCP and said it's a great gun and is small and reliable which is what I am looking for. Here's what pistols have interested me so far, I would appreciate it if you guys would give any tips/advice and your personal input on which one I should possibly lean towards more than the other.. i love how small the kel-tecs and rugers looked in store as well as the glock 36 but if i can get anything i have listed instead of a glock I will definitely do that because I'm working with a not-too high budget I really liked the feel and how small that ruger LCP was but I will appreciate input on any other pistol i have listed here thanks..i appreciate it guys

these are the ones that caught my eye at the local gun store: Max I'm looking to spend is no more than 400, 450$ max
kel-tec P3AT
kel-tec PF9
kel-tec P11
kel-tec P-32
ruger LCP
ruger LC9
ruger SR9C

These are last resort so if you guys can please let me know what you think of the ones on top of the glock handguns that caught my eye because these are way more expensive than the ruger and kel-tec's i'd like to buy something that isnt going to break the bank
glock 33 for 475$
glock 26 for 500$
glock 27 for 500$
glock 28 and 36 caught my eye but I cant find prices online for them
glock 30 for 550$
Old November 23, 2011, 07:10 AM   #2
billib

small, yet powerful

Been more than happy with my two keltec pf9's. you should be able to get one for less than 270 or so and have budget left over for practice ammo. you should visit ktog.org for more info on this very affordable and reliable pistol.
good luck!!!
Old November 23, 2011, 07:35 AM   #3
seeker_two

All good choices.....

I'd also add the Springfield XD subcompact to your list. I have one in 9mm, and I'm still impressed with how well it shoots. First subcompact I've ever shot that feels better than its full-sized counterpart. And you can find them priced b/t the Glocks & the Rugers.

IMHO, you should stick with the 9mm in the small-gun platform....easier to find affordable ammo, easier to shoot well, and still has enough power to get the job done.

Happy hunting....let us know what you get....
Old November 23, 2011, 08:27 AM   #4
OleSarge

From your first list you should go with the SR9c. Having experience with your Ruger in the past, you'll appreciate the accuracy and great trigger of the SR9c. Even more power available if you choose the SR40c.
Old November 23, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
CWKahrFan

Your list is fine... all have a generally good rep for reliability. Only one I'd take off is the P-32 because it's a weak round.

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old November 23, 2011, 10:10 AM   #6
jackh

I have a Ruger SR9c and a Kel Tec Pf9, really like both of them. I prefer to carry the Pf9 though. The SR9c is also very easy to carry concealed
Old November 23, 2011, 10:45 AM   #7
erikivy

I was in a similar position myself not long ago and ultimately decided on an SR40C. I too was prepared to use Bud's as they had a shipped price of $398 at the time. I called my local gun shop and asked if they could come close to that price. They sold it to me me for $400 plus tax, which was about $3 less than Bud's+FFL transfer fee would have been. The prices might not always be the best, but having a local guy to go to is worth something. In this case, he actually did have a better out-the-door price.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:06 AM   #8
C0untZer0

You should have said "Recommendations for a small, powerful yet CHEAP pistol?

The Khar MK9 and PM9 are small and "powerful" but not cheap. The CM9 is a little less expensive, I'm not sure if you can get them for $550

The Rohrbaugh R9 is small and "powerful" - it fires standard 9mm loads (not +P) But they run $1,200.00
Old November 23, 2011, 11:12 AM   #9
C0untZer0

I guess you can get the CM9 cheap

they run between $365 to $390
Old November 23, 2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Squibb

In my opinion, "powerful" starts at 9mm. There is nothing wrong with smaller if you are a good shot and practice on placement.

So, if you want more concealable, check out the Rugers, the Kahr CW9, CW45 and the CM9. Also, the Beretta Nano 9mm. If concealability is not a high prioroty, look at the Rock Island Compact 9mm and the .45. The Bersa Thunder in 9mm is a lot of pistol for the money; a huge bang for the buck.

Kel-Tec line is good, but are not the most comfortable to shoot. When you get a pistol you will need to put a few hundred rounds thru it to make sure it works, and you are comfortable shooting it. That can be be painful with some Kel-Tecs. Good luck.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Brian48

Does it have to be an auto? A j-frame in either .38 +P or .357mag would serve the role very well and can be carried concealed with almost any form of attire.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:37 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
as long as it is small, reliable and powerful.
Quote:
In the past, I have owned a Ruger P95, did not jam once and had no problems at all
With your previous good experience with Ruger, and your desire for something small and "powerful" I'd say the LC9 would fit the bill.
Second would be the SR9c, but it is a bit larger.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 23, 2011, 01:04 PM   #13
woad_yurt

How about a .38 SPL Charter Arms Undercover for $169?

I just shipped a gun to this place and saw it. It looks like it's a first generation like mine. They work just fine. If it has a Bridgeport or Stratford address on it, it's a good one. Avoid ones that say "Charco" and you'll be fine. I don't know anything about the new ones, though. They only weigh 16 oz, btw. It's a great gun for $169.00.

http://www.planopawnshop.net/charter...revolver-used/
Old November 23, 2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Sparks1957

I have to put a word in for the Kahr CW9, mine has been great so far. It's a got a bit more grip than the CM9, if you're one of those people who doesn't want your pinky dangling.

Mine was a bit stiff for the first 200-300 rounds, but runs smooth now. Kahr triggers are really quite exceptional; a long pull but very crisp.
Old November 23, 2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Webleymkv

A small revolver will be able to give you the greatest possible power-to-size ratio available in commonly encountered handguns. Bud's currently has the Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum for $427 delivered. If you don't feel that you really need full Magnum power or if the price are recoil is a bit salty to your taste, Bud's also has S&W airweight J-Frames in .38 Special for $361 delivered. Finally, if you want a bigbore in a relatively compact package, you can get a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 Special from Buds for $335 delivered.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:05 PM   #16
sgms

I've been pocket carrying the Kel-Tec P11 for a good while and have had no trouble with it. I did put a trigger shoe on it and put finger grip add on to all the magazines. It still is a snappy handful when fired but controllable, concealable, and with the 12 round magazine (with one or 2 spares). At most S.D. ranges it is a nice reliable and not pricey selection.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:08 PM   #17
Edhem

Tokarev with 7,62X25 ammo, with any points you like is around 150$ bucks on your hands.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Carry_24/7

Walther PPS 9 is my suggestion.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:49 PM   #19
postmaster

glock 26 definitely

the 26 is reliable and fairly inexpensive and has plenty of power. It is very easy to conceal as well. that's my take. Good luck
Old November 23, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20
Onward Allusion

Quote:
yo0123yo
Recommendations for a small yet powerful pistol?
<SNIP>
kel-tec P3AT
kel-tec PF9
kel-tec P11
kel-tec P-32
ruger LCP
ruger LC9
ruger SR9C
I'd recommend the Kel Tec P11. It's light, thin, & can hold 12+1 rounds of 9mm. Leave a few 20 round Mec Gar mags for S&W 59 series in your car for a rainy day.

For smaller, I'd go with the P32. I personally would rather have 7+1 rounds of 32ACP than 6+1 rounds of 380 ACP.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old November 23, 2011, 08:54 PM   #21
larryh1108

Quote:
I personally would rather have 7+1 rounds of 32ACP than 6+1 rounds of 380 ACP.
??

Why? The extra round?
Or?
Old November 23, 2011, 09:06 PM   #22
RSBH44

Personally I don't consider the 32 or 380 to be in the "powerful" catagory at all.
As someone has already stated above 9mm would be the minimum in my book and thats with nothing less than 124grns. I would also ask why not consider a small frame revolver in 357? If you want power, there ya go.
If the recoil is a problem you have the option of shooting 38 +P loads that will get the job done as well.
Old November 23, 2011, 09:37 PM   #23
zxcvbob

Quote:
Quote:
??
Why? The extra round? Or...
I have a Keltec .380 and it's amazingly hard to shoot well, and it's no fun at all to practice with. The .380 is punishing to shoot in an 8 ounce gun. The .32 will be a lot easier to get multiple hits on target, and you might actually practice with it. The extra round is gravy.
Old November 23, 2011, 10:01 PM   #24
orionengnr

Different terms mean different things to different people.
Quote:
Personally I don't consider the 32 or 380 to be in the "powerful" catagory (sic) at all.
I don't consider a 9mm "powerful". I consider it the "minimum acceptable", and at that, I almost never carry anything smaller than a .45acp.

If I were to make a recommendation for "small yet powerful" by my definition, I would say Kahr PM45. I owned one for a while and really liked it, but I can comfortably carry and conceal a larger .45acp with a larger capacity that I shoot better. I don't have room in my safe or my budget for guns that I do not carry/shoot regularly, so it is now owned by a friend who (wait for it) carries and shoots it regularly. Gotta love a happy ending.

YMMV, and probably will.
Old November 23, 2011, 10:18 PM   #25
Onward Allusion

Quote:
larryh1108
Quote:
Quote:
??

Why? The extra round?
Or?
Here's my logic on why I prefer a KT P32 to a 380 ACP LCP or KT P3AT:
- ballistic difference not dramatic
- 380 out of these tiny guns is snappy; follow-up easier with 32
- that 1 extra round makes a difference

I load mine with buffalo bore in the pipe and 73gr Fiocchi FMJ in the mag.

I don't like the PF9 because I perfer higher capacity and the P11 offers that at pretty much the same dimensions. Also, I like DAO.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke