The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Dino.

Colt/Umarex vs. Sig/GSG 1911-22

I’ve had my eye on a couple 1911’s chambered in 22lr. … the Colt/Umarex and the Sig/GSG 1911-22.
At first glance, I like the Sig better. They offer a variation of finishes (FDE being my favorite) and nicer grips. They also look to be more similar internally and in take down to the “real” 1911. However, I have read about recent recalls and don’t want to purchase one just to turn around and send it back for a recall. So I guess I need to know what to look for, whether it’s serial numbers, upgraded parts, or both.
Based on some reviews I’ve read, Colt/Umarex 1911-22 owners are claiming their gun is made from “aircraft aluminum” while the Sig/GSG is made of some sort of “pot metal”. On the other hand, many say that, side by side, the Colt/Umarex looks and feels “cheap” in comparison. I’d like to be able to make this comparison for myself, but unfortunately none of my LGS’s have these models in stock at this time.

Does anyone here own either of these models?
Old November 21, 2011, 11:01 AM   #2
jimjc

You know I don`t own either but the thing that I didn`t like about the Sig is you need a allen wrench and a screw driver to take it down, the Colt breaks down with no tools.

I handled a Colt at the store and I thought it was the best out of the bunch. A Friend has a GSG, he likes it a lot, but side by side with the Colt he wishes he purchased the Colt.

Actually I`ve been looking around for the Colt rail gun but haven`t had one in my hands yet. There doesn't seem to be much info on them yet and I just hate to buy before I know whats going on.
Old November 21, 2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Dino.

Quote:
You know I don`t own either but the thing that I didn`t like about the Sig is you need a allen wrench and a screw driver to take it down, the Colt breaks down with no tools.

I handled a Colt at the store and I thought it was the best out of the bunch. A Friend has a GSG, he likes it a lot, but side by side with the Colt he wishes he purchased the Colt.

Actually I`ve been looking around for the Colt rail gun but haven`t had one in my hands yet. There doesn't seem to be much info on them yet and I just hate to buy before I know whats going on.
Thanks for the info.
I understand the Sig requires an allen wrench for take down, but other than that, the internals appear to be identical to the 1911. The Colt, on the other hand, has a fixed barrel which sorta turns me off.

I guess I'll just wait until LGS's have them in stock and compare them for myself.

Thanks again!
Old November 21, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Lurch37

I've had 2 GSG's, one a SIG branded one and I really liked both. My oldest son can't seem to remember to bring the GSG one back so I shoot the SIG model. Both are great shooters once you find what ammo it likes, which for me is Bulk Federal Automatch in the 325 round box. They like other stuff too, but for our rimfire league I shoot the Federal.

I came across one of the Colt 1911-22's at a recent gun show and it looked like a nice little gun. I tried to buy it but the gun wouldn't budge off the $475 he had on it so I passed.
Old November 22, 2011, 12:30 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

22LR 1911?

Look at the Kimber.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca

The Kimber Rimfire is a nice enough pistol, but it costs nearly twice as much as the Colt/Umarex or the GSG 1911-22. And the Kimber is an aluminum slide on an aluminum receiver. Shooting it fells LESS like shooting a real 1911 than some upscale airsofts I've played with.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:45 AM   #7
jimjc

Dino

You know your`re right I failed to remember the fixed barrel. I dont know what to think about it. I had a few Walters many years back that had fixed barrels, they shot very good but who knows, there is so little known about the new Colt and I hate to be the guinea pig. I really wished the new Browning 1911 22 wasn`t so much smaller, that would have been perfect. Good Luck
Old November 22, 2011, 08:58 AM   #8
Dino.

Quote:
You know your`re right I failed to remember the fixed barrel. I dont know what to think about it. I had a few Walters many years back that had fixed barrels, they shot very good but who knows, there is so little known about the new Colt and I hate to be the guinea pig. I really wished the new Browning 1911 22 wasn`t so much smaller, that would have been perfect. Good Luck
Thanks jimjc.
I agree about the Browning.
The smaller size was a real disappointment for me.
As for fixed barrels, I'm really on the fence.
In theory, they're supposed to be more accurate but I currently own a .22 with a fixed barrel that says otherwise.

The allen screw on the GSG/Sig may be a turn-off but from what I've seen, the internals on the GSG/Sig are so close to that of the 1911 .45, that I'm wondering if it was intentionally designed that way to keep it propriortory and deter any sort of conversion attempts. I don't know.

Of all the 1911 .22lr offerings, I've narrowed it down to the Colt and the Sig.
Both have their pros and cons, but I think I'm leaning more towards the Sig at this point.
Old November 22, 2011, 06:10 PM   #9
MarkDozier

Read this review from 1911.org on the ''Colt 1911"

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.ph...ight=1911+22lr

I am in the market for one and having handled both the Sig and Colt i like the Colt. It has the feel of a full sized 1911 and should fit your current leather just fine. I will be testing that on my next trip to the LGS. The weight and curved MSH is why I didn't buy thr GSG 1911 in 22LR.
Old November 22, 2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Therealkoop

I have the gsg and its been flawless for literally countless rounds. It doesnt like winchester bulk, but with everything else its been reliable as hell (including cheap thunderbolts and other bulk).

Ive handled the colt and i thought it was just a rebranded gsg when i looked at it.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:19 PM   #11
Dino.

Quote:
Read this review from 1911.org on the ''Colt 1911"

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.ph...ight=1911+22lr

I am in the market for one and having handled both the Sig and Colt i like the Colt. It has the feel of a full sized 1911 and should fit your current leather just fine. I will be testing that on my next trip to the LGS. The weight and curved MSH is why I didn't buy thr GSG 1911 in 22LR.
I've actually read that review ... very nicely done.
I'm not sure what you mean by the Colt having the "feel of a full sized 1911".
Both the Sig and the Colt are the same size and weight.
Are you maybe thinking of the Browning?

I agree about the MSH, but they're easy enough to change out.
I just have a hard time getting over the "fixed barrel" on the Colt.
The internals on the Sig are more true to the 1911, IMO.

Quote:
Ive handled the colt and i thought it was just a rebranded gsg when i looked at it.
The Sig's are re-branded GSG's, but with more finish options and nicer grips (IMO).
Old November 22, 2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Therealkoop

Something about the MSH, I believe I tried to replace mine (GSG) with a plastic Colt one, and it wouldnt work. The MSH is proprietary i think, but i cant remember how at the moment. I know the magazine disconnect is in the MSH (easy to remove), but there was something else that made me not put the colt one in. Im at work or i would look.
Old November 22, 2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Casimer

What's the issue w/ the GSG pistols? I've read about problems with shock buffers and others with recoil spring rods - what's the recall for?
Old November 23, 2011, 02:02 AM   #14
TennJed

I picked up the Colt the other day. I have not had a chance to shoot it but it seems very well made. The 2 main reasons I choose the Colt ove GSG/Sig was:

1) No allen wrench (as mentioned)
2) 12 round mag instead of 10

These pistols were so close in comparison to me, but these issues put the Colt over the top
Old November 23, 2011, 07:41 AM   #15
jimjc

Dino

I`ve been doing some thinking on the Allen screw issue and I have this idea that they designed this as a method of guaranteeing that at some point in the future the take down shaft [ forgot its name at the moment] that goes through the slide will not lose its integrity, the slide is not made out of ordinance steel and that shaft takes a beating in lock up and removal through time so in as much as I still don`t care for the Allen screw I think it adds to the soundness of the design. Anyway I`m no longer totally against it. haha as if that matters.

I think the Sig or Colt are nice guns I haven`t got the chance to see the Sig, have you? I`m wondering about the finish, Sig has very good finishes for its guns and even though the gun isn`t made by them I`m sure they had some say as to what the finish would be, the Colt looks nice, I`m going to make a attempt to find a Sig so I can see first hand before I make the final decision.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:45 AM   #16
jimjc

TennJed........I picked up the Colt the other day. I have not had a chance to shoot it but it seems very well made. The 2 main reasons I choose the Colt ove GSG/Sig was:

1) No allen wrench (as mentioned)
2) 12 round mag instead of 10

These pistols were so close in comparison to me, but these issues put the Colt over the top

I`m interested how you compared the GSG finish to the Colt?

I`m not trying to ask something you don`t wish to desclose but how was the price on the Colt?
Old November 23, 2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Dino.

Quote:
Dino

I`ve been doing some thinking on the Allen screw issue and I have this idea that they designed this as a method of guaranteeing that at some point in the future the take down shaft [ forgot its name at the moment] that goes through the slide will not lose its integrity, the slide is not made out of ordinance steel and that shaft takes a beating in lock up and removal through time so in as much as I still don`t care for the Allen screw I think it adds to the soundness of the design. Anyway I`m no longer totally against it. haha as if that matters.

I think the Sig or Colt are nice guns I haven`t got the chance to see the Sig, have you? I`m wondering about the finish, Sig has very good finishes for its guns and even though the gun isn`t made by them I`m sure they had some say as to what the finish would be, the Colt looks nice, I`m going to make a attempt to find a Sig so I can see first hand before I make the final decision.
While reading up on the Sig/GSG, I learned of some issues with barrel bushings and guide rods breaking. From what I understand, Sig/GSG has sent out replacement guide rods made of steel to replace of the original plastic ones, and steel barrel bushings to replace the original "alloy" bushing.
So I called Sig "customer service" this morning to inquire about these issues and spoke to a representative named "John". John basically denied there were any issues with the 1911-22 and sorta danced around questions regarding the upgraded steel parts. Maybe that is how they are trained to handle questions. I don't know. But I will say that my first and only expereince with Sig "customer service" didn't exactly leave me feeling "warm and fuzzy".

As a result, I'll be looking a little harder at the Colt.
And if I do decide to go with the Sig, I will definately make sure it has been upgraded with the new parts prior to purchasing it, in hopes that I'll never have to deal with their "customer service".
Old November 23, 2011, 12:28 PM   #18
TennJed

jimtc. . The price of the colt was $389 otd door. It was the govt model. The lgs i got it from also has a gsg for $369 & a sig for $379. this is before tax but they waive tax if you pay cash
As the finish goes i liked the colt much better. All 3 seem equal in quaility but the gsg and sig were not as dark of a black and the frame and slide were of a slightly different shade. I liked the uniformity of the colts finish.
Another word of note. After i picked this up i saw my local big box store, sportsman’s wharehouse had the rail model for $369 & the gold cup model for $389
Old November 23, 2011, 12:39 PM   #19
Pilot

Aren't these all made by Umarex anyway?
Old November 23, 2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Dino.

Quote:
Aren't these all made by Umarex anyway?
The Colt is made by Walther and imported by Umarex.
The Sig is a re-branded GSG.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:06 PM   #21
Dino.

While looking at the GSG/ATI website, I noticed a "shroud recall".
Does anyone know exactly what this is?

http://www.americantactical.us/
Old November 24, 2011, 08:36 AM   #22
jimjc

Dino....I can attest to the fact that the original GSG`s had the barrel bushing, guide rod problems because my good friend had to have them replaced but I must say GSG was prompt fixing the problem and immediately sent new parts. Originally the barrel bushing was made out of, I can`t remember, some cheap pop metal but they easily broke and were replaced with a spec 1911 bushing

Now after waffling I`ve committed to the Colt. I have to decide on which model I tend to like the looks of the government. to keep it simple but then I like the rail because I have intentions of actually shooting this gun cheap thrills and a green laser would would be nice.

It`s kind of funny, I`ve done move debating over this gun than any of my others, some that cost many times more, well that`s guns for you. The saga goes on. I got a idea what you will buy but I`m not saying, so I see what you end up with. Have a good one. Jim
Old November 24, 2011, 08:56 AM   #23
jimjc

TennJed..........

I agree I thought the finish on the Colt was better than my friends GSG, I haven`t seen the Sig in person. I`ve been going back and forth on which model to buy. I like the original look of the government but I`d like to put a green laser on it and the rail gun would make it simple.

The only issue I don`t like about all of them is the slide roll marks seem to be to big, they could have more conservative with it but that will not stop me from getting one.

Have you shot yours and if so what did you think of it`s accuracy. My friends GSG shoots very well and is pretty accurate, for the limited time I shot it but the initial reports out are good.
Old November 24, 2011, 09:17 AM   #24
Pilot

I'm confused. Is the GSG made by GSG, Umarex or another contract manufacturer?
Old November 24, 2011, 09:25 AM   #25
jimjc

Dino....

I hope I`m wrong but a shroud is something that covers the barrel so the person doesn`t burn their hands on the hot barrel. In the case of the 1911 the shroud is the slide. It`s odd that GSG uses the word shroud in place of slide but they did. I`m pretty sure I`m right because nothing else on a 1911 that I know of could be considered a shroud. Sounds like they had a bad run of slides. I guess if I had reservations on which guns to buy that pretty much resolved it, the Colt`s the one..Jim