The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 19, 2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Clark

Quote:
Gunplummer
Clark
Check the barrels on those t-99's, they may be original. I have seen t-99's at yard sales and auctions that had the barrel turned in about 1/2 inch and re-cut to .300 Savage. I still have one and at 100 yards it is really accurate with .308 diameter bullets. Has a feed problem with more than two bullets but I never cared enough to work it out. Had one in .308 WIN and also had the feed problem. If you did not take one to the range you should. The results might surprise you.
The rifle on top is two grooves and has a sporter taper and is go with a .3000" pin gauge.
The rifle on the bottom has 4 grooves and a stepped taper and is a go with a .3020" pin gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two sporterized Arisakas 1-19-2012.jpg (117.9 KB, 14 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 25, 2012, 10:29 AM   #27
zbones6

Arisaka value?

My uncle gave me a pre-WWII Type 38 Arisaka over the summer. The Mum is ground off, but all the serial numbers match and there are no import markings. 99% of the blueing is intact (besides the mum) and there is only 1 gauge in the stock on the left side. Bore is dark, but zero pitting and 99% intact rifling. According to him, it spent 50 years in his attic. Not that i plan on selling it, but what is the value (give or take) of this rifle?
Old February 25, 2012, 10:33 AM   #28
zbones6

Arisaka value?

Also, the front sight is missing. the base is still there, but the post was drifted off the dovetail.
Old February 25, 2012, 11:46 AM   #29
JT-AR-MG42

Zbones,

You might want to move your question on your rifle to either the C&R or the HL Research category.

It will get more reads/responses that way. I would be happy to answer questions on your 38, but would need to see pics taken with a real camera to be of much help. Your description needs more explanation to place value.

Now I'm bowing out of this thread so as not to be hijacking it.

JT