The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 17, 2011, 10:58 AM   #1
ssurg1

H&R:The American Double Action (.32S&W)

Would some of you learned wheel gun buffs have some info about this H&R "The American" .32 s&w caliber gun? I have no idea. Let me pass off something to you all. It is coming from Jay's Guns in Crestview, Fla. Ron has given me this gun as a make up for a deposit I placed on a shotgun and because of tough times on my end, he did not want to take my $175 deposit but rather gave me a choice of two handguns and still keep a few bucks for the inconvenience. This is fairness at it's best. To our moderators, if I have posted this recommendation in an improper forum or manner I apologize.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:37 PM   #2
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

ssurg1,
Sorry to hear about your problems - seems to be many many folks in the same fix.

As to your H&R AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION - there are at least two model series and a bunch of variations within those models. I'm going to need quite a bit more info to give you some relevant info/history of your piece, so if you're willing to divulge, here's what is needed:
1. Barrel shape - round or octagonal? Length?
2. Any stampings on the left barrel flats - what are they (there may be an address block or an address block with cartridge stamp under it, or nothing)?
3. What is the finish - nickel plate or blued - if nickel plated is the trigger guard nickel or blued?
4. How many holes in the cylinder?
5. Hammer with spur or spurless?
6. Grip panels - black hard rubber, MOP or other?
7. Condition of finish in % and does everything work as intended?
8. Last but not least, serial number? - if none visible, remove the left grip panel CAREFULLY, it will be stamped on the bottom cross strut.
With that info I can tell you which model and variation and give you a rough idea of date/year of manufacture.
Jim

IMG_0767_3.jpg

Last edited by 32 Magnum; November 17, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old November 17, 2011, 06:41 PM   #3
ssurg1

Jim,
Thanks for the check list. Jay's has sent the H&R today and when I have the pistol in hand, I will be able to answer your list of pertinent questions. Are these guns and specifically the octagonal barrel model capable of firing both the .32 Smith short and the .32 Smith long?
H&R guns were in my family for generations. As a matter of fact, I was taught how to shoot with a H&R side by side 20ga. Great guns whether they be shotguns, rifles or pistols. It is a shame they are not more well known in the gun collecting/shooting community.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:05 PM   #4
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

The type of ammo/cartridges you gun will be capable of handling, will be determined when we ID it. It may be black powder only. We just gotta wait for it.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5
ssurg1

Jim,
As I wait on delivery of the H&R .32 revolver, do you or anyone else have suggestions for a sensible, simple carry holster? In the past I purchased custom molder plastic, leather, Uncle Mikes etc for my previous guns. Have you read or used any new stuff that is reasonably priced for this .32 H&R?
Thanks,
Scott