Old November 17, 2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Hey, Hogdogs!

Just for you lil Bubba, just for you:

http://www.aetv.com/lady-hoggers/about/

Old November 17, 2011, 11:31 AM   #2
rickyrick

They castrated a boar and released it back on society??? What the hey?
Old November 17, 2011, 12:14 PM   #3
tahunua001

sounds like it's right on up there with swamp people
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old November 17, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Major Dave (retired)

His breeding days may be over, but...

he still can attack Miz Virginia with his cutters, and he can still tear up a field rooting around!

That's DUMB!!!
Old November 17, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
shortwave

That does it!

Time to import some feral hogs and call the 'Hog Ladies' in for removal.

Don't know if I can get the Mrs. to go along with the program.
Old November 17, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Drive-by.

CLOS....Oh, waitaminute...

Brent, you're gonna like this one...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 17, 2011, 08:43 PM   #7
twins

Women in tight clothing with plenty of cleavage chasing after hogs with dogs.....only in America.

At least the women in "American Hoggers" carry guns.

I don't see how chasing down wild animal with dogs is called "hunting".
Old November 17, 2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I guess you're not educated on the art of hunting?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 17, 2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Okay, got a chance to watch it. What a disappointment. What I learned from Lady Hoggers would be that the Lady Hoggers are inept and that the men do all the real work. Let's see, the women first lost their dogs, couldn't make the dog tracker work, and didn't get the boar that is supposedly (incorrectly so) the problem for this giant ranch. So they let their male counterpart try, complain that he doesn't know what he is doing, doesn't know where his dogs are when he does, and complains when he catches the hog without their help and claim that he endangered them by doing so. Afterwards, they castrate the boar and apparently proclaim the hog problem rectified and take a day off because they worked so hard.

The other male and his buddy caught hogs on another property just fine and without so much complaining. They also didn't release hogs back into the wild to cause more problems.

What a disappointment.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:58 PM   #10
tahunua001

but they aren't a problem anymore once they lose their jingle bells
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old November 18, 2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

twins, folks have been hunting with dogs for thousands of years.

Before the American Kennel Club got into the act, dachshunds and poodles were hunting dogs. The Russian Wolfhound has that label for a reason. And aside from the various breeds of bird dogs, there are such as the Weimaraner and the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

But there's nothing to it, if you can run for some number of miles in, say, the Rocky Mountains or in jungle swamps without stopping.

Roy McBride of Alpine, Texas, was an international authority on hunting the big cats with dogs. Up into his eighties, he'd run 12 to 15 miles every day to keep his dogs in shape.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:17 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have seen the previews but not a show yet.

This'n may be better than the other 3 attempts at portraying hog doggin... It won't take much work at all as the 3 others were absolutely sorry renditions of serious hoggers using their skills and minds to put feral hogs in the pen.

As for makin' a barr hog and releasing him, if it is in a place where land owner agrees I may barr a few young little boars.

Not every landowner asks for 100% eradication. Some want population reduction with a maintainable number. If they allow or ask, barrs can be made as they produce the best quality (better than a sow even) meat and more of it.

But short sleeves in the woods on a hog hunt is askin' for boo-boos!

I rather pull cat claw/ wait-a-minute/dammit thorn vines from my shirt sleeves than my arms...

I will watch it at least once when I can catch it.

Brent
Old November 18, 2011, 10:35 AM   #13
rickyrick

I take these shows with a grain of salt and on face value of just entertainment.

The hogger shows are more entertaining than " Watch me Wisper in the Tree then Stick an Arrow in a Bears Kidney While Using Brand X's Scent Killer and Camoflage" shows.
Old November 18, 2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Scorch

Well, in spite of sound reasoning not to, I took a look at the link. I must say that the brunette is, how to put this delicately, well padded, and the blonde is no slouch in that department either. So, whine and complain, drive around for 20 minutes of the show, chase a pig, cut him, and everybody is all smiles? I guess PT Barnum was right, no one ever lost money by underestimating the intellegence of the American public.
Taylor Machine
Old November 18, 2011, 03:55 PM   #15
markj

But dont they ride horsiys too? saw the show, want to see the real deal which they wont show. A couple guys go out, set up, kill some hogs, lay em out for the yotes and shoot them too.

Or the helo with a full auto ripping them up in flight.

Or a couple dune buggys with M60s kinda like that old tv show had jeeps and machine guns they always beat the germans no matter how many tanks they had then go after the hogs...

Or turn the dogs loose, listen for the baying to change to a tree then go walk up and shoot the hog like we used to do on coons.

OK give me a camera, a feww mil and some good shooters and I will put on a show everyone here would love to watch. call it bloody hogs or something...
Old November 18, 2011, 04:24 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I have seen the previews but not a show yet.

This'n may be better than the other 3 attempts at portraying hog doggin... It won't take much work at all as the 3 others were absolutely sorry renditions of serious hoggers using their skills and minds to put feral hogs in the pen.

As for makin' a barr hog and releasing him, if it is in a place where land owner agrees I may barr a few young little boars.

Not every landowner asks for 100% eradication. Some want population reduction with a maintainable number. If they allow or ask, barrs can be made as they produce the best quality (better than a sow even) meat and more of it.
You are right. Even if you didn't see the show, you are correct in that it is pretty sorry at least from the perspective of depicting the females. You may think so with the males, too.

As for barring the hog, the 80s+ client was being threatened with being put out of business by the hogs' destruction of her lands. The gals come in and proclaim some rooting near the house to be done by young hogs and so they prescribe the answer to the octagenerian's hog issue is to get the boar making all the sows pregnant that produce the little hogs. So they set out to find a boar. They manage to find a single boar with virtually no tusks...well their male partner does and they complain about it. The cutting supposed occurs, and the problem is solved! Amazing!

So the gals did nothing to reduce the current number of hogs depredating the woman's land and so they will continue to damage her lands just as they have been doing and the singular hog that was castrated won't impregnate any sows, but other males will come in very quickly or some of the small males will take over.

Scorch's channeling of PTB is on the money.
Old November 18, 2011, 04:47 PM   #17
rickyrick

They didn't show the procedure, they cut to a different scene for the actual act. I was fairly amused at the night footage of cows, racoons and whatever getting their grub on in the circle trap.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:53 PM   #18
twins

Art,
Fully understood the history behind using dogs in the past. I don't see the need for it these days. In these shows, they use a pit as the last attacking dog to take down the hogs. Nothing against a pit bull but a bit drastic IMO. If a hunter uses a dog to bay a wild animal so he doesn't have to do the dirty work, not my idea of hunting. More like shooting a caged animal.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:11 PM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

It's not a matter of need. And any form of hunting can be abused; we gripe about stuff here on a regular basis.

IOW, it's not something that I worry about, since I figure that not all dog hunting is like all other dog hunting. I know many who hunt deer or coons with dogs are in it as much for the sound of the chase as anything else; it's a form of music.

MacKinley Kantor caught much of it in his "The Voice of Bugle Ann".

Gripes about dog hunting remind me of those who denigrate ALL stand hunting. I know of millions of acres where no other style BUT hunting from a stand of some sort can be successful at all.
Old November 18, 2011, 10:45 PM   #20
PawPaw

Quote:
Fully understood the history behind using dogs in the past. I don't see the need for it these days.
I don't know how I'd hunt rabbits without a pack of beagles. There are lots of things I don't see a need for, but that doesn't make those things any less valid if someone does have a need for them.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 18, 2011, 11:23 PM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

twins, not only do I hog dog just because I can but it is an effective tool in feral hog eradication, control, management.

Not only can I challenge many with actual numbers of potential hogs removed with my dogs but I have other issues.

One is that a "strayed" hog dog is less risky than a stray bullet...
Often times, where you find the hogs to shoot them, they are not in a place where you will easily stalk in un noticed and if you do, they scatter at the shot/s and you won't likely get back on them during that hunt.

Traps are notoriously ineffective in overall population reduction.

Dogs serve many issues.
We can take out many from one herd with dogs that "relay" which is to leave this hog as soon as we have human control of it.

Also shooting hogs and removing them with traps encourages more breeding. Less competition for food sources increases not only feeding but optimizes fertile periods too.

Dogs, however, can increase not only immediate stress on the herd but they burn off needed energy running from my dogs. They immediately cese feeding to hide or relocate. Their feeding in the near future will be interrupted every time a yard dog barks for a bone. When pressure is high and feeding stress is present, you get reduced breeding practices.

And for higher volume hog sales, you need to deal with live hogs unless you are a USDA inspected and licensed meat dealer.

Want to buy a pig? I can't sell you a dead one but I will sell them live for $40+ unless I have some sucklers and a kid wants to raise it, than it is free.

Brent
Old November 19, 2011, 05:18 AM   #22
bswiv

""And for higher volume hog sales, you need to deal with live hogs unless you are a USDA inspected and licensed meat dealer.""

Can you expound on the state/federal rules?

What is your liability if selling live?

Obviously we sell "wild" gators......but dead so tell us how the hog selling works?
Old November 19, 2011, 06:59 AM   #23
shortwave

Quote:
Gripes about dog hunting remind me of those who denigrate ALL stand hunting

...or those that denigrate long range shooting of wild game.

I guess a good rule of thumb before you knock a style of hunting is actually try that style of hunting or learn more about the style of hunting your fixin to bash BEFORE you bash it. Differences in terrain and population(humans) of areas are big consideration that DNR's usually use when deeming whether a certain style of hunting should be legal or not.

As I posted on a prior thread that led into much bashing of stand hunting by a few, come on down and I'll dare you to 'stalk hunt' many areas on my property and much of the surrounding property.
You'll be naked by the end of the day.

You won't hunt rabbits(or anything else) without dogs. Thats for sure.

Course, if the 'Hog Ladies' would like to come and try, I'll let you guys know the price of admission to watch.

Also, in many places, there are resort areas with hog problems. Dogs are the way to go to eradicate the hogs as its just better for business.

Again, we all have our opinions of what hunting is, but is it really fair to knock anothers style of hunting without knowing the reasons why that style of hunting is legal in the first place. Too, you may want to get a Webster's and look up the definition of the word 'hunting'.
Old November 19, 2011, 07:04 AM   #24
thallub

700 pound boar hogs with 6" tusks. i'm scared already. Very sadly disappointed too: Why do most of my wild hogs look like these?

Old November 19, 2011, 08:29 AM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

bswiv, In fla, the live hog is considered to be feral only when wild... Once caught it is legally considered a "pig". Thus I am a pig farmer when I possess live pigs.

I am under the same restrictions as a farmer. I have to sell live swine that has had a visit from the vet... My "herd" has to be in general good health. I am not sure of immediate regs. this year but in the past, there were times inoculations were up to the vet and some times required for the typical 3 or so pig cooties.

With the true ol' fashion country vets we have up here, it really isn't too high. If my smoker has a hog on it when he comes out saturday while his office is closed, and the keg ain't no light beer, I have paid under $10 bucks a head for my "sign off".

It ain't something you will find much talk of... Keeping these transactions low key keeps some busy bodies from taking yet more away from us.

Unless rules recently changed, in texas, feral hogs can and were run thru ag auctions legally. Once thru the first auction, they are considered domestic pigs with a real bad attitude...

Kinda cruel to unsuspecting buyers who have no idea the pigs they buy in ohio and michigan could be some texas terror. And these swine can easily escape the average operation fencing and other barriers... Spreading feral swine far and wide legally.

The folks who contact me, know exactly what they are getting.

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; November 19, 2011 at 08:41 AM.