The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 15, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
jason_iowa

model 94 double action trigger

I just brought home a model 94. 22lr. 4in barrel. Its polished stainless and flawless. Best looking Taurus I have ever gotten. Works flawlessly as well. Trigger is smooth as silk and the single action trigger is a crisp 4lbs. Cocking it about breaks my thumb though. Double action trigger is over 12lbs that's where the scale topped out.

Is this an issue I can fix with some new springs if so where would I find them. Or do I need to take it to a gun smith? Or do I just put a few thousand rounds through it? Double action trigger is still very smooth just to heavy.

I read through some of the previous posts but could not find a fix for just the double action side.
Thanks
Old November 15, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca

I just went through the same thing with a new Taurus Model 94. Fortunately, Wolff Gunsprings has your back. It's called a Taurus Shooter's Pack, Part number 30151. It includes a slightly reduced power hammer spring, and two VERY much reduced power trigger return springs. I installed the new hammer spring and the lighter of the two trigger return springs, and got the double action pull down from "SHEESH! You gotta be kidding!" to fairly decent. The SA trigger went from horrible to fairly tolerable (I did use a scale, but I don't remember the numbers), and may improve a tad more as I run some rounds through it.

On the web site, Wolff will tell you this kit is not "recommended" for the Model 94. I suspect that's because a lighter hammer spring may cause misfires with rimfire ammo -- the same kit also fits several centerfire revolvers. So far, I haven't had a problem. I found the kit in an older copy of the printed catalog, and that did NOT have the Model 94 disclaimer -- the M94 was listed with this kit.

And I know it works because I've done it.

It'll set you back a whopping $7.99 -- the shipping will probably cost more than the parts.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Scout Rifle Man

While I seriously doubt your Taurus is smooth a silk knowing them the way I do. I can tell you that the spring kit from wolf will not work. You will end up with misfires. If you use the factory hammer spring and a reduced power rebound spring it will help. You will nedd to go good gunsmith to get it to work with that set up.
Old November 15, 2011, 11:12 PM   #4
9mm

Mine is nice in SA, and harder in DA, around 10~13lbs I guess.. No clue, need to get a checker on it.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Venom1956

Quote:
Smooth as silk
If ONLY other gun makers were up to Taurus quality!

I wouldn't recommend dry firing it to smooth it out the problems I see in tauruses tend to become more apparent the more turns of the cylinder. I'd go with the spring kit.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old November 16, 2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Rifle Man
While I seriously doubt your Taurus is smooth a silk knowing them the way I do. I can tell you that the spring kit from wolf will not work. You will end up with misfires.
It's not clear who your comment is aimed at, but I have to wonder that you would post a declarative statement that the kit WILL NOT work right after I posted that the kit does work. The fact is, you can end up with misfires with any rimfire gun. I get misfires with my 1911 conversion, I get misfires with my Ruger 22/45, I get misfires with my Henry carbine, and I get misfires with my Ruger Single Six. It's endemic to .22 rimfire ammunition.

That said, even with Remington Thunderbolt (which is notorious for dud rounds), so far I have not experienced any problems with this kit in my Taurus 94. I acknowledge that I have not fired thousands of rounds through it yet but, so far, it's working. If misfires become a severe problem, I'll reinstall the original hammer spring and leave the reduced power trigger return spring in place.

And, even then, I'll encounter misfires.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Venom1956

I agree with Aguila Blanca, for under 10.00 bucks give it a try if you start to get misfires left and right you'll know you need to put the factory springs back in? Its not like its some irreparable modification of anything.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old November 27, 2011, 11:29 PM   #8
Ralph G. Briscoe

I bought a Taurus 94 a couple of years ago and the DA pull was hideous. I bought the Wolff spring pack and found a step by step guide to changing out springs online (google "taurus 94 trigger job" ...I think). As I recall, the kit comes with 3 different tensioned hammer springs. The lightest resulted in misfires. The intermediate works fine....the 94 will never feel like a Python, but it's greatly improved. I believe I used the lightest trigger spring. If you have any manual dexterity at all and follow the instructions you won't need a gunsmith. Good luck.
Old November 28, 2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Sarge

Quote:
The fact is, you can end up with misfires with any rimfire gun. I get misfires with my 1911 conversion, I get misfires with my Ruger 22/45, I get misfires with my Henry carbine, and I get misfires with my Ruger Single Six. It's endemic to .22 rimfire ammunition.
You are suffering a fearsome amount of misfires, Aguila. In various old Marlin 60's, 10-22's. Mossbergs, Nylon 66's, BL22's and a myriad of pistols from H&R, Colt, Ruger etc.- I can't remember a dozen in the last 40 years. I have had at least that many which were traceable to broke firing pins, peened chambers and the like; but once those maladies were corrected, they went away.

Some of my good fortune may be tied to the fact that since about '86, I've been shooting Federal 38 grain bulk HP's almost exclusively. It used to come in little red boxes but these days I buy it in sort of a milk-carton '550 pack' from WalMart.

On the original topic- I had a co-worker bring me a 94 for the DA trigger 'catching' to the point that his CCW students couldn't hit anything with it. I thought this an exaggeration until I shot it myself. I traced that problem to bad cylinder bolt/spring, which we replaced with factory new, OEM parts. I think he got maybe 300 more rounds out of it until it started hanging up again, at which point he sent it down the road. My brother has been through two of these as well. I mention this simply to point out that trigger problems seem almost endemic to this model, and that there may be other causes.

Anyhow I hope you get it sorted out.
Old November 28, 2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
You are suffering a fearsome amount of misfires, Aguila. In various old Marlin 60's, 10-22's. Mossbergs, Nylon 66's, BL22's and a myriad of pistols from H&R, Colt, Ruger etc.- I can't remember a dozen in the last 40 years. I have had at least that many which were traceable to broke firing pins, peened chambers and the like; but once those maladies were corrected, they went away.
I didn't state a number, so I don't know how you can conclude that I'm experiencing a "fearful amount" of misfires. However ... I'm making my way through a couple of bricks of Remington Thundebolt, which is notorious for dud rounds. Duds ARE somewhat characteristic of rimfire ammo in general, but Thunderbolt seems to be significantly worse than the average in this regard.
Old November 29, 2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Poodleshooter

Remington ammo of late in general is awful, but the spring kit will improve things.
One problem I've found with the M94 is that the area around the star gets filthy, making it difficult to get cases seated well enough for a firing pin strike to ignite them reliably. Couple it with Remington ammo and a light mainspring and you run into trouble.
The Wolff kit worked well to reduce the awful DA pull, but I found that I short stroked the trigger like crazy with the reduced weight trigger return spring. IIRC, I returned that spring to stock.
Keep it clean, run it with good clean,reliable ammo (CCI, Federal, some Winchester) and you should be able to use the reduced weight springs.
Old November 29, 2011, 01:54 PM   #12
jad0110

No harm in trying the Wolff springs if the gun is just for plinking and range fun. If you or someone in your household is going to rely on it for more serious purposes, I would definitely hesitate to mess with the springs.

Generally, after a thousand rounds or so most people report an improvement, though not always.