The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 14, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1
vytoland

Iver Johnson revolver

a friend has an old iver johnson revolver, .38 caliber, 5 shot, marked "property of usa, opd dept" with serial number 17128.

date of manufacture, value and any type of information on this gun will be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by vytoland; November 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2
nutty ned

$50 or less.
Old November 16, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
BarkSlayer

I have two of those things and they're junk. I wouldn't advise shooting it. The $50 or less appraisal is a good figure...on a good day.
Old November 16, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4
barstoolguru

I might be wrong

but I think they were sold through sears at one time. a friend has a .32 short and can't even get ammo for it any more
Old November 16, 2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

since this thread turned south... I'm going to jump in... I have several old Ivers... compared to modern revolvers, yep "they are junk"... but they are also interesting antiques, which I have a couple in my collection... at that time period, so many inovations came out on these inexpensive revolvers ( I have one that has a trigger safety, that Glocks seem to mirror pretty closely, that was made in the black powder cartridge era )

I hand load for both the 32 S&W short, & the 38 S&W... in fact, I enjoy shooting them so much, I have over 500 cases of each for reloading

however none of my Ivers has the "property of usa, opd dept" on the gun, so there may be some collector interest because of it's former use
Old November 16, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Cornshucker77

If you are still interested in finding out some info about the gun I have a book written by Bill Goforth that may be of help. Is there any other writing on the barrel? All writing is helpful.
Old November 20, 2011, 04:03 AM   #7
TheDeej

I got one for ya.
I was kinda delighted to go into one of the local shops here in town and see some new blood in the display case yesterday
It was a Iver Johnson made by UBERTI, a Cattleman model, in .44mag. I have been looking for that caliber for a while. I was much more interested in a super blackhawk I had seen at one of their sister stores. Interestingly enough, the yound kid working gave me the whole back story on the piece and a fairly telling history of it. I was shocked when he told me the better buy between the I.J. & the Ruger was infact the I.J.. I took a moment, trying to make sense of it.

Both 6 inch.
The Cattleman was case hardened. Pin on the hammer. Born in the 30's (or so I was told). And made in Italy. No paperwork or box. It was 350 otd.

The super blackhawk is blued, very clean with no real wear of the finish. The installed knock off pachmayr grips have a couple scratches on them, but the original ones were included and in mint condition. Has "200 years of American freedom" stamped on the top of the barrel. Born in 1976. Born in the USA (as far as my knowledge...). Transfer bar. It's got a super smooth trigger pull. And comes with a boot size shoe box full of stuff with it, 4 leather holsters ( a "cowboy" style rig with belt, a shoulder rig, a fancy presentation holster, & a plain Jane one) paper work of the prominence of the build date and two box's of factory 44.mag. its 425 otd.

I just couldn't fathom why the I.J. was the better choice. It's cheaper. Its a rebadged gun from a company I have never heard of for a brand name that to my understanding was not top tier in its day. It doesn't scream "something special" at all other than the case hardening, and that isn't with the standards of unique.

I have googled it, but found little on it, other than a couple pages at Answers.Yahoo! Saying its a great to decent firearm.

Could anyone give me the back history of the Cattleman mod, maybe what real world value really is. Honestly for the price, I'll snag both, if there is an actual value of the I.J. but I am buying the Ruger, it doesn't seem to hold a real "collector" value because of its birth and engraving, but its at least unique with a couple hundred dollars with of extras. Is there any insight?
Old November 20, 2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Buzzcook

Deej: the only Uberti Cattleman I know of is a clone of the 1873 SAA. They do have a .44 Magnum version.

Uberti does make a clone of the S&W 2nd Model, Schofield, and Russian. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of.
They come in .44-40 and .44 Russian. I haven't heard of one in .44 magnum.
Imho $350 for one in good condition would be a good deal.

I suppose they might have made an Iver Johnson knock off back in the day.
Old November 20, 2011, 03:07 PM   #9
TheDeej

I don't know buzzcook. It had "Iver Johnson by Uberti" and "Cattleman 44mag" stamped on it. He made mention it was made in the 30's, is that possible? I might pick it up, but won't ever put mag through it. I'll go peep at it tomorrow and snap some pics buzz.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Cornshucker77

That's interesting I'd like to see those pictures too.