The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 13, 2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Tom-Fairfax

Charter Arms Pitbull Moonclip Conversion Update

I just got the bad news from Mark at Pinnacle that he couldn't find any moonclips to fit my Charter Arms Pitbull. Since buying the equipment for loading my own ammo is too expensive, that leaves me with the option of converting the cylinders to fire .38 caliber. Finding one with the right dimensions is problematic, so I may end up with a paperweight after all.
Old November 13, 2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Newton24b

no offense intended here but,

if this high end gunsmith or gunsmithing company cant make moonclips for a customer, how do they figure that they are worth the money to do anything else for a customer?

Have the gunsmith in question get on here, and give me a business contact and i can explain 2, maybe 3 ways to get that gun moonclipped.

i believe you have the 9mm federal rimmed pitbull?
Old November 13, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
WC145

The Charter Arms Pitbull in 9mm Federal has been a paperweight for years and for the cost of converting it to .38spl, if that's possible, you'd be better off selling it and putting the money towards a new Charter Arms .38.
“Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”
Old September 22, 2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Lazarus40

Convert your CharterArms to 38

Thoughts on your conversion dilemma.....

1) The gun will shoot 38 S&W with no problems. And you can re-load this and the original brass ad infinitum..

2) I see 38 Special Charter Arms complete cylinders floating by for fairly cheap prices on four or five auctions. It might be cheaply fitted to the 9mm Frame, preserving the original cylinder and crane it for collectors. If you fir a complete cylinder, complete with the crane, then yoiu can swap the to systems by simply removing and replacing one screw.

3) Get a custom loader to load you 200-500 rounds of 38 S&W loaded to duplicate the 9mm Federal's 115gr 1250fps loading. Buy more when you need it....or load it yourself. Then paint the bases red (fingernail polish or spray) so no poor fool will put them in a 38 S&W half-a-century from now...maybe?

Remember, Charter made only 990 9mm Federal revolvers (according to a guy used to work at Charter)...
Old September 23, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
jglsprings

Quote:
Since buying the equipment for loading my own ammo is too expensive, that leaves me with the option of converting the cylinders to fire .38 caliber.
Really??! You can get a pretty substantial reloading outfit for the cost of a caliber change.

Commas save lives...