The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Which rifle for a do it all, general purpose rifle?
Ruger Mini 14 21 19.09%
Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle 29 26.36%
M1A Scout 41 37.27%
Other 19 17.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 12, 2011, 07:20 PM   #1
checkmyswag

Just one rifle: Ruger Mini-14, Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, M1A Scout

Which one and why for a general purpose rifle.

I know they are three very different rifles
Old November 12, 2011, 07:33 PM   #2
gak

You don't specify caliber on the Mini 14, but my choice would be that in 6.8. If greater ammo availability is included in the mix (on par with .223, .308 implied by the other choices, including the Mini-14), I'll say Mini 30, which IMO should also be in the list. Combo of useable punch, compactness/handiness, ammo availability and capacity. Reported barrel improvements makes thisa done deal. Just re-read "other"-and that's what I chose.
Old November 12, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
troopcom

M1A Scout!
Old November 12, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
bacardisteve

Of those i would choose the m1a scout. The mini is a great gun but for me 223 is not a do everything caliber. Sure that will probably upset someone. The 308 can be loaded with 110gr vmax for varmint or 180gr partition for moose.
Old November 12, 2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Indi

M1A for all purpose.
1 its a .308
2 its semi auto
3 its a M1A
Old November 13, 2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Jo6pak

For me, it's a close race between the Mini and the M1A. The mini is a bit more compact and easier to handle, and quite a bit lighter. But, in the end, the larger caliber of the M1A wins out in my opinion. The greater ability to take larger animals makes it a better general purpose gun.

That said, either will do most thing equally
Old November 13, 2011, 06:34 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

I voted other for the fact that there is about a 1000 better options. The Ruger Scout will do nothing that any other bolt action available will do just as well. The Mini is an OK choice and a fun gun but too small for hunting deer. Mini 30 would probably make a better all around gun than the 14. The M1A isn't much good at anything but at the firing line or in combat IMO. Too big, too heavy, over built, etc. Maybe a fun gun and a piece of history but about the last gun I'd want to have if I could only have one. The heck if I'm gonna tote one around if Idon't have to.

Think bolt action in .243, .257 bob, .260, 7mm-08. Heck, I'd even take a good lever action in .357, .30-30 or .44M before your 3 choices. On the flip side, I do have a craving for an AR in 6.8 or .243.

LK
Old November 13, 2011, 07:43 PM   #8
PawPaw

For a general purpose rifle, it's hard to beat a bolt action .308. Or 7mm-08, or .30-06, or .270, etc, etc. Mount the scope forward or over the action.

Buy or build ammo, shoot until you can hit what you're aiming at.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 13, 2011, 07:53 PM   #9
TX Hunter

.308 RUGER SCOUT WOULD BE GOOD I still like the original Frontier better. I had to shim the butstock but it is a great little rifle with alot of punch.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Chinny33

I personally have all 3

Ok seriously, I do have all three. All three serve different purposes. I have hunted with all three and taken game with all three.

There is no such thing as a single rifle doing it all.

you are comparing a .223 vs a bolt action 308 vs a semi auto 308. difficult to compare.

What the heck do you want to do with them?

I personally love all three guns. If I COULD only keep one of them, it would be the M1A.

The mini-14 is so-so, completely falling behind ANY AR-15 in terms of ergos, accuracy, and ease of use. All of my AR-15s run circles around this guy. Notorious for inaccuracy. You shoot more than 5rds in succession, and you WILL see the groups magically open up WIDE!

GSR is a decent bolt action for >$700. The bolt is sticky and rough. Trigger pull is fine. I took off the scout mount and mounted a trijicon accupoint. Funny, the scope is $500 more than the rifle (oops). Ive only taken predators with EASE with it.

The M1A scout squad is a fine rifle. But you REALLY have to work on it to get it to be a 1" MOA rifle. Currently after MUCH moolah spent on handloading, reloading and purchasing PREMIUM ammo, i found the sweet spot. Shoot the heavy bullets. Over 165gr and you are money. I first had a sadlak alunimum scope mount on it but i took it off and tossed it because brass kept jamming under the mount. I mounted a scope for what the rifle was intended. SCOUT. Leupold extended eye relief scout scope. 2.5x mag. I BARELY squeezed 1" MOA. ANYONE can agree is it tough to keep a 2.5 scout scope steady at 100yds consistently, even on a bench! HEAVY rifle. 9.6lbs!
It has taken a 120lb sow pig.

AR-10 variants are easier to manage and inherently more accurate.

FN-FNAR i hear great things.

Remington 700. Cut the barrel down and get an accuracy international fix to have a detachable magazine. thread the barrel to accept a flash supressor and you just beat the GSR.
Proverbs 27:12
Old November 14, 2011, 08:31 AM   #11
horseman308

I voted for the GSR, because if you're only gonna have the one rifle, I would want one with the fewest moving parts (i.e. the simplest operation). The Mauser action is basically bomb-proof, lots of spare parts available, and easier to maintain. Also, for what I understand, it would be much easier and cheaper to get it to shoot accurately than either the Mini-14 or M1A.

And unless you plan on getting in a gun fight with it or using it for defensive purposes as well, the bolt action should provide all the firepower you need.
Old November 14, 2011, 09:12 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I'd have to look at scenarios and probabilities as to use or need.

If most of the use is varmint hunting, the Mini. Home defense? Likely, the Mini. Big game? Likely, the Scout or the M1A.
Old November 14, 2011, 10:40 AM   #13
Charlie_98

M1a all the way... I don't think the Mini-14 compares, and I don't care for the Ruger Scout rifle (which probably will get me labeled a anti-establishment Cooper-hater or such... I think the concept is moot with the modern platforms we now have.)
Old November 14, 2011, 11:42 AM   #14
Scout Rifle Man

None of those rifles are a good representation of what Jeff Cooper put down as the one rifle or his scout rifle. The mini-14 is not powerful enough to stop medium game or predators and is not accurate enough for sniping. The M1A scout is a good rifle but is too heavy to make a good scout rifle, not to say it would not work, I’m just saying it’s not the best. And the Gunsite M77 is just an abomination the barrel is too short and they still made it too heavy, and what the hell is with the stupid flash suppressor.

The Steyr JC scout rifle came the closest to Coopers concept but a little hard on the pocket book. As for me I am building my own on a 98 Mauser action, and trying to stay inside Cooper’s scout rifle concept as much as I can.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Charlie_98

Quote:
and what the hell is with the stupid flash suppressor
Ruger seems to be in love with flash hiders now... some of the 10/22's even have them. ...all I think of is Mall Ninja when I see that sort of stuff.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:08 PM   #16
22-rimfire

General Purpose Rifle?

I chose the Ruger Mini-14. For me it is a reasonable general purpose rifle but it does nothing extremely well except is very reliable. So what are your "general purposes"?

I would tend to lean more toward a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag or 44 mag as a better all around rifle. It has the benefit of using a handgun caliber which you might already have handguns in that caliber.

Some would call a general purpose rifle a "truck gun" in which case the lever action rifle excel in the calibers I mentioned as well as old standbys like 30-30 win.
Old November 14, 2011, 05:12 PM   #17
warbirdlover

If it's general purpose then I'll take my Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters .270. It will kill anything easily other then buffallos, elephants and brown bears.
Old November 14, 2011, 07:53 PM   #18
ronl

I voted other. I prefer the M1A with the standard length barrel. You don't need optics on it. It's good to go out to 500 yds.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:03 PM   #19
robertsig

I'm amazed people can see (aim) past 120 yards without optics. But 500?!
Old November 15, 2011, 01:10 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

robertsig, it's all part of the learning curve, and it takes a bunch of trigger time. Thought-out, deliberate trigger time.
Old November 15, 2011, 02:49 PM   #21
Legionnaire

I should have voted "other," but voted "Ruger Scout" because it's the only bolt action on your list. In my book, GP and bolt action go together. YMMV.
Old November 15, 2011, 03:26 PM   #22
Bamashooter

Maybe some people should work on their mini-14. Mine shoots 1'' groups all day long since adding accustrut the groups do not open up anymore. I have killed several deer with the 65gr. gameking bullet in my reloads and the .223 is an excellent varmit cartridge. Since I wont be running in to any bear or elephant here in alabama I think the mini is a great all purpose rifle thats better than some folks care to admit or believe. MOA is accurate enough for any work that needs done. The mini-14 gets my vote.
Old November 15, 2011, 03:46 PM   #23
GONIF

A Quality AR10 in .308 is all you will ever need .IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ONLY ONE RIFLE a DI AR10 type rifle is the clear winner .

Last edited by GONIF; November 15, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old November 15, 2011, 05:04 PM   #24
rickyrick

I did mini 14 just cause i have one already
Old November 15, 2011, 07:19 PM   #25
ronl

robertsig, we're shooting steel plates out at 400-500 yds. We have two 6"x3' plates and two 6"x8"plates hung on the farthest frame. They are painted hiviz orange so they're pretty easy to see. Really not hard at all. Last time I had the M1A out I hit one of the bigger targets, handed it to my cousin who hit it then handed it to my neighbor who also rang the steel. Neither had even fired an M1A before. To be honest, I think we were only shooting around 420 yds that day, but it's a lot of fun ringing that steel. My M1A has been tweaked a bit and pretty easily shoots under 1 MOA with my handloads, so a 6" wide plate is not all that difficult to hit.