The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2011, 01:16 PM   #1
jimmythegeek

spitzer bullets for .30 m1 carbine

I've been going through the reloading data, and thinking about a spitzer shape. I understand that different primers will have different effects with a given powder, so I need to pay attention to those combos.

Can I swap 110 grain for 110 grain as long as the overall length is constant? I'd like to use a bullet with a more efficient shape than a round nose. The seating depth will be greater, which would boost pressure, so I'd take it down to a shade above minimum load and move up in steps to the max.

I'm thinking something like a TAC-X
TAC-X FB BC .240 catalog 30834* SBR (.30 short barrel rifle)
TAC-X FB BC .264 catalog 30821

Anybody got any thoughts? Is it worth chasing a .1 increase in BC? Or almost twice as great?

I'm trying to wring all the accuracy I can out of this much maligned platform. After reading all the writeups in the reloading manuals dissing the cartridge, I started to get offended.
Old November 6, 2011, 02:54 PM   #2
jepp2

All my 30 carbines get fired in my Ruger Blackhawk, so I am looking for lowest cost bullets. But we are talking about a 30 carbine, not some exotic long distance rifle. I really don't think the difference in BC will make much difference to you.

But if you do decide to go that way, what is important is bullet seating depth, not OAL. So determine the seating depth (total bullet length - exposed bullet length after seating) and use the same seating depth for the spitzer nose bullet. That is what determines cartridge pressure.
Old November 6, 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
jimmythegeek

Thanks for the info

I'm going to content myself with 100 yards, and hope for smaller than minute-of-barn.
Old November 6, 2011, 11:46 PM   #4
greentick

I dont recall how much space there is in the mag with the standard carbine 110FMJs.

This might be too long. But the BC is significantly higher.

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-110-gr-SP/
Old November 7, 2011, 04:17 AM   #5
Missionary

Good morning
I would be checking throat diameter and muzzle wear if you are have big groups at 100 yards. Not that a carbine is a tack driver but 3" and less at 100 yards is common for the carbines I have loaded for.
At 100 yards bullet coefficient is so unimportant nose design really has little value except to impact. I personally like flat nosed types as they make far better "thumps" on impact. As long as it feeds reliably and is fat enough for your rifle any bullet of rpoper length is going to work.
Mike in Peru
Old November 7, 2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
Can I swap 110 grain for 110 grain as long as the overall length is constant?
The consistency of the overall length might gain you some compatibility in a box-magazine fed autoloading rifle, but that constant overall length is not what you are looking for to create a safe, predictable load.

What you are looking for is to set a length that gives you the same internal space inside the cartridge case... at whatever COAL that may be.

Personally, I don't think you'll see much benefit. If you don't, and you are then simply looking for a less expensive bullet, I would suggest Berry's .30 Carbine plated bullet, purchased in a bulk box of 1,000. Kills all the stubby jacketed bullets in price and is rated to 1,900 FPS.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Loader9

I'll save ya the time and the money, there's zero to gain here. You have less bearing surface of the bullet on the barrels grooves which means accuracy will suffer, not improve. Bullet performance is non-existent if attempting to use these for hunting as the 30 Carbine just doesn't have the velocity to make the bullets work right. Even at close ranges of under 25 yds the bullet will not do anything but punch a hole and come out just like it went in. If you want to try a better bullet, try the Speer #1835 110 gr Varminter. If you are having any major accuracy issues, a usual fix for some guns is to use pistol primers. The 30 Carbine doesn't built anymore pressure than a 357 pistol. It's also been my experience with this popgun that it is sensitive to COL concerning accuracy so play with it and see if that helps. A .005 difference can be enough to make one shoot like a target rifle.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:59 PM   #8
jimmythegeek

Many, many thanks

I'll stick with some basic stuff for the carbine.

But what will I do with all that energy for experimentation? I'll have to start researching some oddball rifle platforms...whichever has the fewest entries in the loading manual, or the most hype in the gun rags. Just kidding. I will look for a mainstream centerfire with good intermediate performance since my range only goes to 200 yards and 400 is the biggest in the area. Something that's really tweakable...

"On Tuesdays the 190 grain seems to be the best, but on Saturdays I have to go with the 175..."
Old November 8, 2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

also the bullet length ( not actually the bullet weight ) is what determines the twist rate needed to stabilize... I tried some experiments back in the 80's, with the 30 carbine with bullets like you want to try ( I not only have a 30 carbine rifle, but an Automag 3 & a Blackhawk in the same caliber ) I found longer bullets in my rifle did not stabilize well with the slower twist rates, & the slightly reduced velocities resulting from the longer bullets reduced case capacity...

I was always wanting to try a faster twist barrel, but the rifles action is already over the pressure it was designed to run on... I eventually did do a fast twist expirement with the 22 Hornet, & had good luck with that combo...

unfortunately the carbine is what it is... a fun plinker... which BTW... one of my favorite handloads used 100 grain plinker bullets