The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 6, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Strongarm6R

Sako A5

Quick question here. I had friend offer me Sako A5 in .30-06, w/ Leupold 3x-9x. Asking price was $600. I'm not super familiar with Sako rifles. He told me he bought it new about 10 years ago. Good deal? Anything in particular I should look for?
Old November 6, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
EAJ702

Not familar with this model, but in general Sako builds excellent rifles.
Old November 6, 2011, 07:12 PM   #3
HKGuns

Buy it if it is in decent condition, that is a good price.
Old November 8, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Sodbuster

IMO that's a good deal. If that scope is even a VX-I, you're looking at $200, making the cost of the rifle $400. The A5 as you notated it is actually the AV, a long-tanged, long action. Sako used Roman numerals in this series of models. Sako makes an excellent rifle, with collectors preferring about any model except the newer 75s and 85s. The AV was introduced around 1980 but I'm not sure when it was discontinued. Time flies and your friend, if he bought it new, has had it longer than 10 years. Ten years ago Sako was producing the model 75, which was introduced in 1997. Nothing special to be on the alert for, as these are good rifles. Just do a normal check of function, bore inspection, look for rust and pitting , a solid stock, etc.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old November 8, 2011, 10:08 AM   #5
cmdc

A year ago, I picked up a Sako AV in 300 Win Mag for $600, because it was a left-hand version, and so am I. It is a great rifle. Not a lot of info out there on the AVs, as you stated.