The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 3, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Edward Cravey

Taurus 1911 .38 Super

I saw Taurus in .38 Super at CDNN Sports site. Any known reviews on it?? I have had a Llama .38 Super and it was happy only with FMJ ammo. Llama, Spanish made cost $280.00, shot pretty good. Traded for Colt .38 Super 70/80 series gun costing 600.00. Colt didnt shoot any more accurately than Llama but loved any bullet I fed it 147 gr. lead, 147 gr.truncated FMJ, 115-125 gr. FMJ, handloads etc. .38 Super is semi rimmed; I unnderstand the most accurate loads headspace on the necks. The guns I had head spaced on the semi rim. How about the Taurus??? The .38 Super came out in 1929, S&W went crazy to bring out the .357 Magnum in 1935. Both guns were favorites of LEOs aganist motorized crime. South of border .38 Super is popular as it isnt used by military. Taurus is priced OK on CDNN site.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:37 PM   #2
WIN71

Although I'm not a fan of Taurus I have traveled a similar road. I bought a Llama .38 super used in 1965 and had all kinds of trouble. The caliber is about all I liked. Then sometime in the 70's I bought a Colt Combat Commander in 45. I traded it for a S&W 66 2.5" but I don't know why. I might have been drinking at the time. Recently I went back to a Colt Commander in .38 super. It's a series 80 but I don't notice the new and improved safety attached through linkage to the trigger.
Anyway, almost all 1911a1 style .38 supers headspace on the mouth and have for several dozen years. I would really be surprised if Taurus did not.

I truly believe that most accuracy problems with good condition 1911 or 1911a1 type semi autos is probably on the part of the shooter. It took me years to finally be able to shoot them well. However, that Llama I had may have been the exception.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:48 PM   #3
C0untZer0

Here's my obligatory: "My friend had a Taurus and the cylinder fell out"

My friend had a Taurus and the cylinder fell out.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:40 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
Hum, cylinders on a 1911 I got to get me one of them. I am currently looking at the Taurus 1911 in 9 mm and have not found any negatives reviews on them so far and hopefully when I get my 1911 9 mm the cylinder won't fall out
Old November 4, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Dino.

Taurus advertises guns that are not even in production.
I was excited when I first saw an ad for their 1911 in 9mm several years ago.
I contacted Taurus and was told, though they plan on producing the 1911/9mm, it was not scheduled for production and they could not tell me when it would be available.

This went on for years.
Then I started reading all of the negative stuff about Taurus on all the forums and decided to go with another gun/manufacture altogether.
Old November 4, 2011, 04:16 PM   #6
ScotchMan

It's a shame because they have a lot of designs I really like that no one else has in production. Like a 9mm revolver.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 4, 2011, 08:27 PM   #7
orionengnr

Quote:
It's a shame because they have a lot of designs I really like that no one else has in production. Like a 9mm revolver.
Hmmmm....there might be a reason (or two) for that....
Old November 5, 2011, 05:09 AM   #8
Rugerismisticness

They're not bad. The slide to frame fits aren't near as good as a quality colt. The barrel fit could use a little help. Replace the bushing and I'm sure the accuracy should get a little better. All .38supers now headspace off of the case mouth, there are a few companies that allow for headspace off of both. I'd buy it, tune it, replace some parts, and just enjoy having another .38super around.

A little off topic, but you've had supers before, why would you want to go back? The ammos around 25$ a box! You may as well do what I did and grab a 9mm barrel to go with it and turn it into a real project gun. BTW, my super barrel rarely comes out to play.
Old November 5, 2011, 06:49 AM   #9
boykinhntr

Not one post from someone that owns one. The Taurus 1911 has been a very reliable platform. I don't own one either but my range buddy does and prefers it over goes Springfield. The Taurus has a nice trigger and is as accurate as the shooter.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:31 AM   #10
icedog88

I bought one last year and am quite pleased with it. If I had my choice though, I would have made it without the rail. I bought one simply to have one and it has since turned into one of my favorite pistols. Slide to frame was tight and has loosened up a bit but not by any large degree. I will say that the first time I took it out to shoot, I had bought some ammo, Winchester Silvertips (the only ammo LGS had on the shelf) and was surprised at how far the shell casings were ejected. 12-15 ft! Heck of a time trying to police brass! As for ammo now, I have bought Magtech for $22 per box but my favorite to shoot has been Fiocchi for $18 per. Consistent price at ammotogo.com.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:23 PM   #11
patriotic

Taurus 1911’s are good firearms. I have one chambered in .45 and it works like a dream and extremely accurate. I also have a Llama I bought in Europe back in 1969 chambered in .38 Super. I love the .38 Super cartridges but it is expensive and difficult to find. My Llama chambers the cartridge on both the rim and the mouth of the cartridge. Just last week I put a box of 9mm Luger cartridges through my .38 Super and they worked fine.
Old November 6, 2011, 10:04 AM   #12
ET.

My wife bought a Taurus pt1911 in 9mm because it just fit her better than the other inexpensive 1911s. For $490 she got a 1911 that is built on a forged frame with all the features you want on a modern 1911. The slide to frame fit is slightly looser than the Springfield RO that I just bought, but for the price it does what my wife needs it to do...shoot every time she pulls the trigger. She hasn't had an ftf so far, but she has only shot hardball ammo. Still for that price a 1911 that is reliable is a keeper in my book. She hated the cheap plastic grips so we changed those out with a set of Pachmayr rubber grips before she ever fired it. Every thing else has been totally exceptable.
Old November 6, 2011, 12:45 PM   #13
MagnumWill

I have never fired a Taurus in .38 Super, but my father-in-law has a Combat Commander in .38 Super. It's a terrific round, it's a shame it's not as prolific as other calibers. Some good Super Auto +P loads give it the feel to a 9mm as a light .357 load to a .38 special.

You scared me there for a second, patriotic- that's really cool that the Llama will fire both!
Old November 7, 2011, 09:55 PM   #14
patriotic

MagnumWill you have no idea how much I played around with the 9mm round before I tried it in my Llama. It wasn’t until I found a 9mm Luger round at the range that someone dropped that I decided to give it a try and it worked. The OAL of the .38 Super cartridge is 1.258 and the 9mm Luger is 1.148. there is that .110 jump the bullet has to make before engaging the rifling.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Iron Man

I have the Taurus 1911 in .38 super and love it! I have the polished stainless model with the gold accents. I put carved white grips on it and besides being a tack driver it is quite stunning to look at as well. I think she may be the next gun to see the engraver.
Old November 7, 2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Alexander

Quote:
The slide to frame fits aren't near as good as a quality colt.
Today's Colts aren't known for having very tight slide to frame fit. It's pretty loose usually.
Old November 8, 2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Leejack

My friend had a Taurus revolver and the magazine fell out.

No use even posting about a Taurus in this fine establishment.
Old November 8, 2011, 05:15 PM   #18
patriotic

ok I will take that comment for what it is worth.
Old November 9, 2011, 07:29 PM   #19
theycallmeingot

my brother has a taurus stainless 1911 in 38 super. he has 2 main gripes.

1, 38 super brass is expensive to lose at matches all the time.
2, it's a jammomatic.

we both agree that 500ish is way too much for a pistol that runs as poorly as his. he's currently looking into a 22 conversion and just making it a dedicated 22 1911 so most of the taurus parts will be gone, and hopefully the gun will run.

the trigger is very nice, though.

EDIT: and... the taurus headspaces on the case mouth.
Old November 9, 2011, 07:43 PM   #20
Budda

I have a taurus pt-99 and it is a VERY good gun. NO ftf,fte or any other problem. Shoots a tight as group as any other semi auto i have fired. I actually like the taurus design over the berretta becuase of the saftey on the frame rather than the slide.

Taurus is very underrated for what they are.

At least its not a High Point......
Old September 24, 2012, 08:07 PM   #21
Duallydondon

Taurus 38 Super

Just ordered a Taurus from CDNN Sports ,,cost 399.00 plus tax etc,,,It is the 38 super with the gold accent pieces,,,some have referred to it as the pimp pistol??? Anyway hopefully it will be better than most of the negative reviews they seem to get,I have a friend that has one and he has given it nothing but praise,,his seems to be well fitted, good finish,,had a Llama years ago and traded it off in some trade deal,,,38 Super ammo is a little difficult to get since I only use the standard load and not the +P,,,,I have had real good luck getting Fiocchi and the armscor from Ammotogo.com in Texas it is anywhere from 15.00 to 20.
00 for a box of 50
Old September 24, 2012, 08:26 PM   #22
PT-92

Priceless!!

Quote:
C0untZer0

Here's my obligatory: "My friend had a Taurus and the cylinder fell out"
rotflmao !

Glad the 'obligatory' platitudes are done away with early in the thread.

Wow--I just noticed the OP date ...

-Cheers
Old September 24, 2012, 08:27 PM   #23
Slimbo

The +p on the case is to distinguish it from .38acp. 38acp and super share the same dimensions.