The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2011, 06:51 PM   #1
DRice.72

Bullet question.

I'm reading The ABC's of Reloading. I am in the section on bullet casting. The book covers lubricating the bullets. I do not plan to cast my own bullets, just buy them. Will I need to lubricate these bullets or do the makers do that when they size them?
Old November 2, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2
black mamba

They come sized and lubed. The most important thing is to know the diameter of your chamber throats (revolver) and choose a size that is at least the same or .001" oversized.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:57 PM   #3
DRice.72

I kinda thought that, but wanted to be sure.
Thanks.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

More about casters

If you find a really good caster, he will have different allows for different uses. Very hard, for higher speeds and for use on thick-skinned game. Different shapes, with or without gas checks, etc.

Welcome to reloading and thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old November 2, 2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Ideal Tool

Alot of those commercial bullets are too hard for light to mid-range target loads, and will lead your bore. The problem is obturation..or lack of it due to excessive hardness. Years ago, I shot on a police combat league. We bought wadcutters from member who was in reloading business..Our revolvers leaded like crazy..when told about it..his response was to make them harder!
This only increased the leading. He wouldn't listen when we told him a softer alloy was better for those light 2.3gr. WW231 loads.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:16 AM   #6
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideal Tool
Alot of those commercial bullets are too hard for light to mid-range target loads
Many commercial casters run 21-24 BHN bullets.

Missouri Bullet offers 18 BHN bullets and even some in 12/15 BHN that work great for lighter target loads and/or oversized barrels by providing better obturation (deformation of bullet base) to seal with the barrel.
Old November 3, 2011, 03:38 PM   #7
mikld

The key to shooting lead bullets with out barrel leading, is proper bullet to gun fit. A bullet too small, wheather it's a 10 BHN or 24 BHN, will lead the barrel. For a revolver, use bullets the same size as the cylinder throats, and autos .001" - .002" over groove diameter (or more as long as the cartridge will chamber).