The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1
raceroch

accident loading 90gr in 38spl

I bought a bunch of 95gr 9mm LRN bullets and loaded them to mid amount of powder for a 125gr bullet in a 38spl. Shot 6 rounds from my 357 4" and they seemed to shoot fine, not much power... is this dangerous and has anyone done this before? outcome? i have 400 more of the bullets and if it does not hurt the gun, me, or accuracy too much i would like to continue to load the rest - and advice?
Old November 2, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
SL1

There is no reason that you can't shoot 95 gr 9mm lead bullets in .38 Special cases from a .357 Magnum revolver. The only problem would be if you used too light a powder charge weight and did not get good ignition, which coulod cause a "squib" load that fails to get the bullet out of your barrel. If that were to happen, it would be just a matter of hammering the bullet out with a brass of soft steel rod IF YOU REALIZED THAT IT HAPPENED BEFORE YOU PULL THE TRIGGER AGAIN. If you did not realize that there was a bullet stuck in your barrel and shot another round, then you would probably bulge or maybe burst the barrel, or perhaps the cylinder if the bullet was stuck just inside the forcing cone.

So, it is important to use the right amount of the right powder, even for light loads. But, you did not tell us what powder you are using nor how much. Even if things went OK your first time at the range with this load, you might still get squibs as the weather gets colder.

So, why not tell us what powder you are using and how much, and we can give you some better advice.

SL1
Old November 2, 2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Longdayjake

You will probably want to use a little more powder to keep from getting a squib but it won't hurt your gun to shoot them.
Old November 2, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
raceroch

"mid amount of powder" haha - yeah win 231 3.1gr w cci spp. thanks guys. seemed a little on the weak side. i was shooting out 100 yards and hitting dirt aiming 5 feet high. thats my chrono. - first 38spl reloads.

any word on accuracy?
Old November 2, 2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Sport45

Hodgdon data says 3.8 to 4.8 grains of W231 is appropriate for a 125gr cast bullet in .38 special. I agree that you would probably be safer if you upped the charge to 3.8-4.0gr as a starting load.

If you have some Trail Boss, Titegroup, or Clays they have data for the 90 gr cast bullet.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Shootest

I don’t know for sure but it seems the accuracy would be crappy with a bullet sized at .355 instead of .357.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:42 PM   #7
zxcvbob

Should work just fine if you don't load them too light.

Do you have a 9mm or a .380? Those bullets would be a lot happier loaded in one of those two calibers. (maybe a good excuse to buy a new gun)
Old November 2, 2011, 04:17 PM   #8
brickeyee

Quote:
I don’t know for sure but it seems the accuracy would be crappy with a bullet sized at .355 instead of .357.
It is likely they will upset enough to hold the rifling.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:24 AM   #9
SL1

Accuracy

I have shot 9mm 90 grain jacketed bullets from a Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum revolver with unusually good accuracy at 25 yards. But, I was trying for high velocity and using near-maximum powder charges, so I am sure that those bullets were "slugging-up" to the throat diameters of my cylinder before they reached the barrel. That aids accuracy.

For lead bullets, much less pressure is needed to cause the bullets to slug-up. The actual pressure level depends on how soft the lead is. Swaged lead will slug-up easily and will lead the bore at pressures much higher than needed to cause slug-up, while hard-cast lead will not slug-up at low pressure and will lead the bore due to gas cutting as the gases escape past the bullet in the barrel. Leading may cease with hard cast bullets as pressure is increased to the point that causes slug-up, the slowly return as pressures are pushed higher than necesssary.

SL1
Old November 3, 2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

You are good to go, a lot of cheap practice days coming soon to a target near you. I wouldn't load it in your gun for boogermen but poking holes in paper or popping balloons you are fine.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 3, 2011, 02:30 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

If you want a hotter load, feel free to work up to a heavier charge weight. But, if you keep a close eye on your reloads, and might enjoy a light load...
As long as it is proving to be reliable and safe, it shouldn't be a problem.

One of my favorite .32 S&W Long loads is lobbing 94 gr LRNFPs at a blistering 580 fps. It sounds and feels like a squib, when you pull the trigger.

Tags
38spl , accident , gun