The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
checkmyswag

Ruger LC9 vs SR9C

I know the LC9 is smaller/lighter/slimmer...

how much harder would the SR9C be to carry?
Old November 2, 2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Steelers252006

I'm looking at both of these firearms as a possible carry gun for myself. I think the Ruger SR9c is the superior gun in just about every way from what I've been seeing, and I really want to shoot one. The LC9, however, is smaller and appeals to me only because of that. Otherwise, it's Ruger SR9c in a landslide.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Skans

I don't see one as superior to the other. One is basically a striker-fired Glock made by Ruger. The other is a double-action-only. They are two completely different kinds of guns. If you intend to make it your carry gun, go with the LC9. If it's going to be a mostly-range gun, sometimes carry gun, go with the Ruger-Glock if that's what you like.
Old November 2, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
ESI Agent

Have both and like the SR9c better because of the trigger. The LC9 is a better carrry gun if size is an issue. Im sure if one practices with the LC9 enough the long trigger pull will not be an issue.
Old November 2, 2011, 01:25 PM   #5
SamNavy

The SR9C is not a compact gun despite the "C" on it. I'm 6'4" and 250lbs and have big mits. It fits and feels like a full-size gun.

I was down at our local pawn-shop a few hours ago looking at the KelTec PF9 and compared it against about a dozen other guns. It's width/length is identical to the LC9 although the LC9 is I think carries an extra round, so the grip is a bit longer... but not near as long as the SR9C.

If you're looking for truly "compact", the SR9C is not it, but what IS and IS NOT compact is simply relative to the carrier. Where and how, in addition to how long you're going to need to carry it should make your decision.

I've been doing homework for a daily CCW for about a month now and only want to have to buy one gun. I like the PF9 for feel/size in a 9mm, and I like the Bersa Thunder Compact 380 in .380acp. This will be for all-day daily IWB carry and both guns fit my pricerange... just need to decide on what ammo I really want/need.
Old November 2, 2011, 05:56 PM   #6
tahunua001

the SR9C is rapidly taking over the CCW market believe it or not. I asked about it on defensivecarry.com a while back and more people preferred the SR9C to the glock 19. the only thing is a lot of guys remove the mag disconnect but other than that most anyone that has picked it up love it. if they ever make an SR45C they will probably overtake springfield and S&W autoguns for CCW
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old November 2, 2011, 06:17 PM   #7
MrDontPlay

The lc9 is good to carry but not fun to shoot.

The sr9c is good for carry and fun to shoot. Also you have a few more rounds with the sr9c.
Old November 2, 2011, 07:24 PM   #8
ScotchMan

How are you guys saying the SR9c isn't compact? It's almost identical in size to a Glock 26 and that gun is a SUB compact! No its not a pocket gun (though I can fit mine in my pocket). The SR9c is my every day carry and I can conceal it under anything so long as my shirt covers my belt.

I didn't like the LC9 I held in the store but if you're going pocket carry it beats a .380 in my opinion. But for that arena I prefer snubby revolvers.

Hickok45 compares it to the Glock 26 in this video along with his full review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 2, 2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Marquezj16

Here's a nice review of the LC9 and a size comparison with the SR9C and LCP.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LC9.htm

I have shot both. IMO, the SR9c has a better trigger and easier to shoot. Accuracy is about the same at 7 yards but go farther out and the SR9c due to the reason above gets better groups. The extended mag is also nice at the range.

However, since I was looking for a lighter and smaller carry pistol in 9mm, I picked the LC9 for my CCW.

I guess it depends on what you want it for.

BTW, that long LC9 trigger is pretty smooth.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Muad' Dib

The LC9 is a BUG/pocket pistol with a terrible trigger, the SR9C is a sub-compact SR9 service pistol! While both are Ruger pistols, and therefore are of questionable quality , the SR9C is by far the superior choice, especially if you intend to actually rely on it for serious defensive carry, having a superior trigger and trigger reset, it will also have a superior interface with the average human hand...
Old November 2, 2011, 08:32 PM   #11
mumbo719

They play a different roll in CCW, I'd say you need both.

If funds or other factors only allow 1 I would get the SR9c.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:35 PM   #12
22FOREVER

I have the SR9c and love it. Shoots better than the P89 I had.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Redbeardsong

I've been carrying an SR9c every day for the past year. I mostly carry it In the appendix position, concealed under just a T-shirt all day at work, while dealing with customers. It's an excellent carry gun and is also a very good range gun. It's accurate and very easy and comfortable to shoot, even for 200 round sessions.

I just bought an LC9 this week, for a BUG, and for my wife to carry. It's much thinner than the SR9c, with a shorter barrel and lower slide height. It hides IWB wonderfully, but feels small in my hand...like...well, a backup gun.

If it's your only gun, get the SR9c. It's a better, and more practical "only one" gun. Good for carry, and great to shoot. The extra 17 round mag with the grip sleeve makes it an even better range gun and serves well for
nightstand duty.
Old November 3, 2011, 05:58 AM   #14
excelerater

I have an SR9c and a LCP but and I am looking for a single stack 9 now....
There are many out there to pick from and I was hooked on a diamondback
untill I got a hold of the finish and it was scratching right in the store
LC9 or a PF9 seem to be top of the list as of now but I did get a peek at the new Nano and they look pretty unique but the screem 500 bucks all over
them
Old November 3, 2011, 07:33 AM   #15
Skans

The LC9 is a tad bigger than I'd want for a 9mm pocket carry. I'd like it even more if the slide/barrel was about 1/2" shorter. But, it works and I am not interested in spending over $1,000 for a Rhorbaugh which is probably not as rugged as the Ruger LC9. If the LC9 were any bigger, I wouldn't be able to pocket carry it, and I would go with the Keltec pf9.

BTW, the review posted above by Scotchman is a good one.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:27 AM   #16
ScotchMan

For single stack 9s, I've never heard a bad word said about the Walther PPS.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 3, 2011, 09:35 AM   #17
Grapevinebill

LC9

I have an LC9 and I really want to love that gun. It fits great in a lose pocket or IWB. Feels great in my hand and when it goes off it is an accurate gun. The only problem I am having is getting the gun to eject a spent shell. I only have 200 rounds through it and I am still working it but I think if todays range session does not go well I may have to call Ruger. When it has an FTE, the spent shell stays fully in the barrel. I need to drop the mag and with this (in most cases) the next live round falls free with it. I then have to manually extract the spent casing from the barrel. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I guess I would say check out the LC9 before you start carrying it. Maybe I have a unique issue, don't know yet.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:36 AM   #18
ScotchMan

Call Ruger, they'll take care of you. Unique or not, they won't let that fly.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 3, 2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
Same here. It splits the difference in size between the SR9C and LC9.
Old November 3, 2011, 03:07 PM   #20
Marquezj16

@grapevinebill - maybe you can start a thread with your LC9 problem. That way, other owners can chime in and be in the know.

Thanks.

Hope it works out for you.
Old November 3, 2011, 03:15 PM   #21
secret_agent_man

Quote:
Some owners have written on the internet about extraction and spring problems and occasional feeding problem until past break in. Take it for what it's worth. Doesn't concern me. I'm all revos.
Old November 3, 2011, 05:14 PM   #22
checkmyswag

Not looking for fun to shoot or to pocket carry. Looking for a decent trigger and good to carry. This is to replace a bodyguard 380 which carried great but the trigger was heavy and long.
Old November 3, 2011, 05:19 PM   #23
LockedBreech

I'm in the very small minority on the three gun forums I frequent that just does not care for Ruger's SR platform. I found the SR9 I had some time with roughly finished. I found the SR9c I held top-heavy and found the loaded chamber indicator pretty obnoxious.

Though the LC9 shares the LCI, I'd choose it. A well-balanced gun with a smooth, though long trigger, that is extremely concealable.

I do not in any way contest the quality of the SR platform. I fully believe its reliability and toughness. Ruger rarely fails on those counts. It's just not a gun that my hand agreed with, and I found finish lacking.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old November 3, 2011, 05:51 PM   #24
checkmyswag

Just looking for the perfect carry pistol. Too much to ask!?
Old November 3, 2011, 08:56 PM   #25
Justice06RR

Quote:
I'm in the very small minority on the three gun forums I frequent that just does not care for Ruger's SR platform. I found the SR9 I had some time with roughly finished. I found the SR9c I held top-heavy and found the loaded chamber indicator pretty obnoxious.

Though the LC9 shares the LCI, I'd choose it. A well-balanced gun with a smooth, though long trigger, that is extremely concealable.

I do not in any way contest the quality of the SR platform. I fully believe its reliability and toughness. Ruger rarely fails on those counts. It's just not a gun that my hand agreed with, and I found finish lacking.
You are correct in being the very small minority that does not care about the SR9/40 platform. I think the finish is quite nice, esp in the stainless silver finish. It does not feel top-heavy at all; if you want to feel top-heavy try the XD9/40 subcompact and you'll know how top-heavy they really are compared to Glocks, M&P's, and SR's.

IMO Ruger did pretty well with the SR series and improved it even better with the trigger on the compact pistols. The SR9C is one of the pistols i've seriously got my eyes on, and would probably be one of my next gun purchases (after using XD40sc and M&P's for EDC).

LC9 is good for pocket carry and extreme concealment, but for dual-purpose of CC and range gun, the SR9c is better in all accounts. just my 2c..