The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
WildBill45

Rethinking my new toy list... S&W model 41, anyone?

Does anyone own or shoot a new Smith & Wesson Model 41, which is a target .22 pistol (for those who don't know).

1. Are they as good as the older model 41s?

2. Do they still shoot as well, as their reputation once was?

Any other owner comments would be appreciates since they do not come cheap!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old October 30, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2
shootniron

They are still top shelf guns...and you will not be disappointed.
Old October 30, 2011, 10:58 AM   #3
laytonj1

My M41 shoots fantastic.
I limit it's diet to CCI standard velocity ammo (which is what S&W recomends). I've tried many other brands/types and the worst shooting was Federal gold match and the best was Eley but it was only slightly better than the CCI SV.
The bluing isn't the high polish of yesteryear and the grips are laminate now but everything else is pretty much the same.

You can find really nice earlier M41's (pre 80's) at gun shows for about the same price as a new one.

That said, while it doesn't have the fit and finish of the 41, my Ruger competition target MK II ain't far behind for accuracy and will digest anything you feed it.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; October 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:25 AM   #4
WildBill45

Both good replies...

Quote:
That said, while it doesn't have the fit and finish of the 41, my Ruger competition target MK II ain't far behind for accuracy and will digest anything you feed it.
Interesting, but how is the trigger??? I discounted the Ruger because of bad memories from long ago of taking them down for cleaning...

Old October 30, 2011, 11:27 AM   #5
WildBill45

PS

I noticed that there are different sight, slide combinations available from Smith. Does anyone know the advantages of one sight package over another, or is it just a choice for style and taste?

Old October 30, 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
laytonj1

Quote:
Interesting, but how is the trigger??? I discounted the Ruger because of bad memories from long ago of taking them down for cleaning
Well, the triggers not as nice but it's also half the price of the 41 and I can still shoot it quite accurately.
I seem to have lucked out with this MKII, it is very easy to completly take down and reassembly. The first one I had many years ago would result in many cuss words flying around during take down and assembly.

Not familier with the different sights but the ability to change out barrels in an instant is a great feature of the 41.

Jim
Old October 30, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
WildBill45

Thanks Jim,

Maybe they improved the assembly tolerances!

Henry

Old October 30, 2011, 12:00 PM   #8
laytonj1

Quote:
Maybe they improved the assembly tolerances!
Well, my MKII is 14 years old. I still hear folks gripe with the newer ones.

I'd just like to add that while I've owned many different 22's over the years (including 41, mkII, Citation, Victor, even a Freedom Arms model 252), my S&W M41 is still my all time favorite...

Jim
Old October 30, 2011, 12:29 PM   #9
RC20

Back in the day (70s) the Model 41 sold for $168 (or close)

The counter guys would buy them before they hit the shelf as you had to sell at S&W list or loose your distribution rights (not sure if it was store by store basis such as someone like Pay n Pak)

Upshot, I was looking in Pay and Pak one, a new hire put one out before the "sr counter guy" saw it come through. I told him to ring it up. You don't want to look at it? Nope, I know what it is, and I am buying it.

I had the transcation in full swing when the Sr. Counter Guy came out and told me that the gun was not for sale and I could not buy it!

Call it a Clint Eastwood dialgoue in 22 caliber. Make my day, just try to take this gun away from me! No, I was not packing, but I was 24 or so, tougher that a wildcat from summer constrtion and just itching for a go to.

After I had a bit of fun with him I looked him in the eye and told himn "I know what you are up to and doing, and I will be happy to talk to the manager". At whihc point he dropped it like a lead brick.

Still have the gun, trigger is to die for, need a new barrel for a dot mount so I can shoot it to its capability. Can't see iron sights for diddly. New ones come setup that way which is nice.
Old October 30, 2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Microgunner

I own a new one and an old one. They both function reliably and accurately.
With your eyes closed you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, except for the cocked hammer indicator.
Old October 30, 2011, 08:45 PM   #11
WildBill45

Quote:
I'd just like to add that while I've owned many different 22's over the years (including 41, mkII, Citation, Victor, even a Freedom Arms model 252), my S&W M41 is still my all time favorite...
That is a vote of confidence if I ever heard one. Thanks for all the info. I have been reconsidering my Ruger SR1911 money being moved elsewhere since Ruger is taking all day to release the gun in volume!

Nothing like a new toy before the winter hits!

Old October 30, 2011, 11:01 PM   #12
TAD

I just purchased a new S&W 41 several weeks ago. Despite trying every ammunition from bulk to high priced target ammo, the pistol fails to eject about 1 shot out of 10. Yes I started with CCI Standard Velocity. I have put about 600 rounds through it.

I have cleaned the gun, and tried lighter Wolff springs. The lighter springs made it worse. Next try is 8# spring.

Very frustrating to pay that much for a gun and have it not work. I even purchased the "Performance Center" model. I will be contacting S&W for warranty work. Last thing I want to do is send off a brand new target pistol for work.

I had zero problems with new Ruger MK III and Buck Mark. I hope it gets sorted out because the 41 feels really good when it fires.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:55 PM   #13
pilpens

My S&W 41 is several years old but it looks like the latest models.
Accuracy - Equal or maybe a tad better to Browning buckmark and Ruger MKII but Browning and Ruger shoos cheaper HV ammo.
Trigger - best on the 41.
Sights - best on the 41.
Smoothness while shooting - best on the 41 but this is with SV ammo.
Ammo tolerance - worst on the 41. Mine jams when HV and HV feels like it will break something on the pistol. Ruger and Browning are equal and are very forgiving with ammo choices.

My current favorite is a browning buckmark bullseye.
S&W 41 maybe the best but the Browning buckmark is very close behind at a much lower price.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:56 PM   #14
pilpens

My S&W 41 is several years old but it looks like the latest models.
Accuracy - Equal or maybe a tad better to Browning buckmark and Ruger MKII but Browning and Ruger shoos cheaper HV ammo ---they shoot equal to me.
Trigger - best on the 41.
Sights - best on the 41.
Smoothness while shooting - best on the 41 but this is with SV ammo.
Ammo tolerance - worst on the 41. Mine jams when HV and HV feels like it will break something on the pistol. Ruger and Browning are equal and are very forgiving with ammo choices.

My current favorite is a browning buckmark bullseye.
S&W 41 maybe the best but the Browning buckmark is very close behind at a much lower price.
Old October 31, 2011, 12:15 AM   #15
Venom1956

I have an older one it is an exceptional gun.

I called S&W customer service and was told that 1280fps was acceptable velocity for my older 41? They said SV wasn't required?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old October 31, 2011, 08:42 AM   #16
tony101

Mine is about a year old and have owned about 6 OR 7 22lr pistols and the s&w 41 is a keeper. cci sv is all i use in it and maybe 2 or 3 FTE out of over a 1000 rounds
Old October 31, 2011, 11:24 AM   #17
whippoorwill

I purchased a S&W 41 almost two years ago. I've been rather disappointed in it...

1) I noticed when I opened the box that the bluing on the 41 wasn't uniform. Not the sort of thing many folks would notice, but I did. I kept it, rather than sending it back, as I had returned the most recent previous firearm (Browning HP) from the same dealer due to a horrible finish (several marks on the bluing). Although I didn't want to return two in a row, I probably should have.

2) After shooting the pistol on a couple of range trips, I couldn't get the magazine to stay in place. Come to find out, the magazine release button was coming unscrewed. Easy fix, but probably shouldn't happen on a firearm of this price.

3) My biggest disappointment has been in the accuracy department. I've tried several different types of ammo: CCI Standard, CCI Green Tag, Federal Bulk, Federal Auto Match, and Federal Gold Medal (711). I believe that I also tried Remington/Eley Club Xtra and RWS R50, although I'm not 100% certain. None have given what I consider the type of accuracy expected for a pistol of this price category. Forget about off-hand, that's just not happening. But even from a bench at 15-20 yards, the best group I probably got was around 2.5 inches with CCI Standard. I don't remember the exact group size, but I know that it wasn't what I was hoping for. I can actually get better handheld groups at 10 yards with my .45 and 9mm pistols than with the 41.

Am I expecting too much?

In any case, it's a beautiful pistol overall, but if I had to do it again I'd pass and get something else. This, and the HP that I finally got, are the only two pistols that really disappointed me. The HP felt great in my hand, but had the infamous terrible trigger, and mediocre accuracy. I wish that they hadn't, cause I know that they're worshipped by some. Oh well, that's the great thing about the firearms hobby... they're are so many from which to choose!
Old October 31, 2011, 01:28 PM   #18
glenncal1

I have a 1980 Model 41, bought the gun used but almost ANIB with a 5.5" barrel. Great balance and no beer can within 50 yards is safe. I also purchased a 7" barrel for it that I put a scope on. It will make a ragged hole at 50 yards if I do my job. I use CCI SV in the gun for accuracy and reasonable price but mine will digest HV ammo just fine. I put a recoil buffer in just as a precaution. If you have one that is not shooting right have S&W fix it.

Many K and N Frames
Old October 31, 2011, 04:36 PM   #19
Powermwt

Here is mine... 1981 vintage.

Like the others here... I had to go through a whole lot of different brands of .22 ammo to find the right combination. For my 41 it is WW superX HV 40gr. I bought cases of the stuff back in the 1980s and still have 2 or 3 left so I'm good for a while yet.

10 shots in .75" at 25 yard consistently.

The trigger is so smooth and crisp and the balance puts me right back on target with the EER scope.
Old November 1, 2011, 11:52 AM   #20
Stevie-Ray

I don't own any S&Ws at all, but the two I would dearly love to have are the 41 and 52.
Old November 1, 2011, 08:28 PM   #21
WildBill45

Powermwt

That Colt doesn't look bad either. They have a sweet trigger!

Old November 2, 2011, 11:42 AM   #22
Venom1956

I forget if its on TFL or RFC but one member has the most beautiful Colt Target Match... It makes my old 41 look borish and junky in comparison. The bluing alone can turn heads. I've always wanted one.

I think those are two of the BEST rimfires money can buy.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old November 2, 2011, 05:46 PM   #23
1-DAB

i really should post more....

41 and 422:

and a Woodsman Match Target:

shot all some, need to spend more time at the range (don't we all?).
Old November 3, 2011, 03:45 AM   #24
mauiglide

I freaking love my Model 41. I bought it about 5 years ago brand new from Bud's and it has been one of my favorite firearms to shoot. I put an Aimpoint H-1 red dot sight on it. Fun gun to shoot and the trigger is sweet. I do have some failure to feed but not enough to get frustrated about. I do shoot a lot of HV ammo as I don't have SV ammo available locally but do have a recoil buffer to compensate. After 2k rounds no issues to speak of. The fit and finish of my pistol is great and it is easier to field strip than my Ruger Mark III Hunter.
Old November 3, 2011, 08:06 AM   #25
Hunter Customs

Not taking anything away from the S&W 41 as they are good guns, but if you can find a model 422, 622 or 2206 you may be surprised at how accurate they are.
I always believed that was the main reason the 422, 622 and 2206 were discontinued from S&W, as they were very accurate pistols and were cutting into the sales of the 41.

The 2206 in the picture is very accurate, I machined the hammer to be lighter speeding up the lock time and reworked the tigger pull.
Even before I did the internal work to this one I would have put it up against any 41 out there.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com