The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2011, 10:05 AM   #1
jdillon

Oehler 35P Chrono

Any folks out there have experience with this unit?
Old October 22, 2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. I own one. Works well, but is an older design. My less expensive CED chronograph tracks the Oehler very well, if you want a less costly alternative with more modern computer features. At other extreme is the slightly more expensive German-made PVM-21 with still more fully featured software.
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by Unclenick; October 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old October 22, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3
mehavey

I have had the 35 (everything but the printer) for seven years now. It has been utterly reliable (discounting a spider buiding a funnel web in the start sensor well) even under the lowest of light conditions -- even light drizzle. When things warrant/conditions match I'll take the orange shades off and just let it look at the sky w/o any problem.

There are two key things required to make it a no-brainer:

(a) A good tripod which is rock solid but easily 3D adjustable w/ minimum fooling around.

(Manfrotto 390Jr in my case)

(b) A short/wide gun case that allows you to keep the sensors/support rod assembled/in one piece, and accepts the tripod/shades and computer unit together inside it as well. (I think it comes in such a case now when bought new.)

It is 1990s technology (the computer housing could be smaller), but it's bomb-proof, does all the usual computations for Hi/Low/ES/SD/Ave etc required and the the size of the bullet window is a godsend.
Old October 22, 2011, 11:44 AM   #4
steveno

I bought an Oehler 33 way back when it was the only game in town and I think I paid around $300 or so. it still works great. if I was to buy a chronograph for the first time today I'm not sure what I buy. if you can afford the Oehler 35P buy it and don't look back. the average shooter can probably get buy with something a little less expensive as the 35P is pretty much lab quality.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:51 PM   #5
jdillon

Thanks for the info and ordered a 35P.
Old October 29, 2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Peter M. Eick

Love mine. I have been debating buying a second one as a spare!
Old October 29, 2011, 01:52 PM   #7
steveno

the only spares you need is maybe an extra screen just in case you blow up one up.
Old October 30, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8
swmike

It's an excellent Chronograph. You pay for it twice though, first in money and then in size.

I have a PACT XP Pro IR that costs less than $300, is about half the size, and all readings correlate with the performance predicted in my Ballistics computer. In the end, that's all that matters.

Does the average shooter really need "Lab Grade" results?

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".