The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 29, 2011, 07:11 PM   #26
Gbro

I am 9 days away from 59 and don't feel at all like I belong here, that is until I try to stand up!
Seriously though I thank God for, for EVERYTHING!
I have 7 brothers and I have the only firearm My Dad had in the house.
Its a SxS Ranger .410
Only markings on it are Pat. APR. 20-1915 (on right side) and in scroll "Ranger" on the Left. The barrel is marked Proof Tested 410 GA
Serial on all parts X345xx
Old October 29, 2011, 07:41 PM   #27
Hawky

I'm in my 50's. My first was a Daisy. Then my dad gave me a .410 single for squirrel. That was in the '60's. Just got a TRI-Star 12ga semi for birds. It's nice for the price.

Old October 29, 2011, 10:59 PM   #28
Doc TH

old timers

First gun was Mossberg SA - traded for a Mossberg 144. Don't have it any more, but one of my sons has the Rem 513T that was its successor. Have acquired a number since then, shot on the Navy 4th ND pistol team for 4 years.
My emotional favorite is M1 carbine I got from CMP when I was in primary flight training in Pensacola.
My favorite peeve is not related to anyone's age, but is the annoyance of hearing reiterations of total BS stories such as the number of GIs who died because the M1 Garand clip made a "ping" when ejected so the enemy knew the gun was empty - this was even perpetuated by the History channel morons. This month the American Rifleman mag discussed this, talked about the improbability, and said in their search they found no actual reported instances of this happening. But, watch the forums - it will come up again because someone talked to someone who had a friend whose grandfather said he saw it happen.
Old October 29, 2011, 11:44 PM   #29
Alaska444

My first gun I went hunting with was a single shot, bolt action .410 shotgun my dad used for rabbit hunting up in Alaska. It took quite a few ptarmigan as well while we were up in Nome for a couple of years. It did what it needed to do. That was back in the 1960's when I was still a kid.

The first gun I bought when I was 16 was a single shot 12 ga shotgun that in retrospect was so light making it a complete beast to shoot. I guess we didn't think about the second shot that often, you had to make it happen the first time.
Old October 30, 2011, 07:18 AM   #30
Roaddog

I'm 62 and started out at 4 with my grate granddads Iver Johnson 4-10 singal shot. Dad would help me hold it up and I would hit the can. Then at 6 he took out the Rem. modle 33 single shot. The can didn't fall down very often. Dad would take me to the dump on Sunday afternoons, hand me a box of 22 shorts and tell me to shoot them up. I hunted with the two guns all my boyhud. I still have them and still hunt with them. Life is good.
Old October 30, 2011, 08:25 AM   #31
BlueTrain

I'm only 65, so I'm not an old timer. My father did not own any guns, so I had to wait until I could buy one of my own, which was a Mauser C-96. I was in the army then and I sold it to another soldier before getting out.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 30, 2011, 08:38 AM   #32
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
I'm only 65, so I'm not an old timer.
Yes you are, you just don't know it yet.
Old October 30, 2011, 09:26 AM   #33
psyfly

Almost sixty years ago, summer I was eight, my aunt taught me the basics of safety and shooting with a Winchester 62a.

I learned how to shoot it well over the next couple of years and my aunt promised me I would someday own it.

Unfortunately, a burglar got it first.

I managed, at last, to replace it a while back and I have a load of fun shooting it.

Thanks, Auntie M.

Best,

Will
Old October 30, 2011, 01:12 PM   #34
SIGSHR

62 here. First firearm I ever fired was a 22 rifle at Scout Camp, Summer of 1963, make and model long forgotten. First rifle-M1917, Winchester, purchased while I was in the Army. First handgun, Browning HP,same time. Still have them both.
Old October 30, 2011, 04:20 PM   #35
g.willikers

Too danged many old farts around these parts.
Oops, me too, 69.
First one was the Red Ryder, naturally.
Next was an early 1900s Winchester .22 take down pump with octagon barrel.
It was Dad's but I used it more than him.
Can't remember the model, as it's long gone.
It dispatched a lot of rats at the local dump, though.
Next was a small .32 revolver, with an open spur type trigger.
Grandpop gave it to me as a toy, 'cause it was broken.
It didn't take long to fix.
No idea where it went.
Next one was a Ruger .22 pistol that was a keeper through high school and college.
And more, of course, down through the years, most sold or traded off if not in regular use.
Way too lazy to keep up very many.

Last edited by g.willikers; October 30, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old October 30, 2011, 04:27 PM   #36
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
Next one was a Ruger .22 pistol that was a keeper through high school and college.
A Standard model??
Old October 30, 2011, 04:45 PM   #37
g.willikers

Don't remember what model the Ruger was, way back then.
I do recall it was new and cost $75, in 1959, though.
Maybe.
Or was it used and cost $35?
Poor old brain is going, going, ...................
Old October 30, 2011, 04:47 PM   #38
c.j.sikes

old shooters

i am 80 yrs young and started on a used 16 ga. single shot shotgun. it was tight money in 39 so i pulled cotton till i saved enough for the gun. it was in a lumber yard on shelf by itself and a cigar box full of asorted shellc. cost me 12 bucks. you know i help feed my family with that old gun. its long gone , wanted a faster shooting shotgun so traded it in on a bolt 20 ga. over the years i have accumilater a lot of diff. rifle, shotguns and pistol. i still have my dads winchester modle 24 double barell, killed a lot of quail and ducks with it. how do you sume up 60 years of pleasure? Lord willing i will see some more and my grandchildren enjoying the same. thanks for letting me bend your ear. cjs
Old October 30, 2011, 05:58 PM   #39
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.j.sikes
i am 80 yrs young and started on a used 16 ga.
Quote:
thanks for letting me bend your ear.
Any time.

About my second gun was a Remington 16ga. double barrel. Finally had to destroy it, the barrels were so bad from corrosive ammo that they had bugles, but I took a lot of small game with that shotgun.... before it's demise.
Old October 30, 2011, 06:45 PM   #40
madmag

Just for any younger readers (probably none) that read this thread. And for anyone on the planet that does not know. The Ruger Standard .22 mentioned above was Bill Ruger's first commercial handgun. It really was ground breaking. Ruger held the price at $37.50 for several years. I am sure he had Colt Woodsman in mind. The colt cost $100.00 plus.

Just imagine, people like me had very little money. Now a guy comes out with a gun for $37.50 that he claims is as good & reliable as the Colt Woodsman. Well, I still have my Ruger Standard I purchased new for $37.50. More rounds thought that gun than any gun I have ever owned.

Ok, Bill Ruger was wrong. The Standard design was not just as reliable as other designs, it beat all the other designs, and for one third the price. So much for "you get what you pay for".
Old October 30, 2011, 07:01 PM   #41
rog d

Will be 79 in 4 weeks. Due to divorce I was sent to the farm to live with my grandparents. Granddad gave me a Daisy BB gun when I was 6, and he and I went hunting together. I was the dog, but when I would get a rooster up, he would never shoot. I found out later that he could not see well enough to hunt, but was being nice to his only grandson. At age 8, he gave me his shotgun, which is a 12 ga. Hopkins & Allen. I took a great number of squirrels and rabbits with that old gun. I still have both the Daisy and the H&A. They still work, and it would grieve me very much if I lost them.
Old October 30, 2011, 07:10 PM   #42
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I'm a young guy reading this thread.
Well, young compared to you old goats.

Great stories of old family treasures here.

I hope your grandchildren treasure them like you do.
Old October 30, 2011, 07:31 PM   #43
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmag
Just for any younger readers (probably none) that read this thread. And for anyone on the planet that does not know. The Ruger Standard .22 mentioned above was Bill Ruger's first commercial handgun. It really was ground breaking. Ruger held the price at $37.50 for several years.
That’s what my father paid for his brand new in 1950. I was 4 years old then. I still have it.

Old October 30, 2011, 07:52 PM   #44
psyfly

My first handgun purchase was in 1960 @ age 16.

(Not the first handgun I possessed, but the first I bought with my own money)

Purchased at the local Sears Roebuck store.

I had to choose (My saved-up $ were limited) between a new Browning SA .22lr rifle @ $68.00 and a new Hi-Standard Citation .22lr pistol for $ 79.00. I went home with my first handgun. Kept it for many years until a burglar took it away in 1993, if I recall correctly.

Best,

Will
Old October 31, 2011, 07:57 AM   #45
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by winspar
That’s what my father paid for his brand new in 1950. I was 4 years old then. I still have it.
Great personal memory and a piece of Ruger history.

My Ruger Standard 6" barrel, purchased new circa 1959.

You can see the holster wear. I put thousands of rounds through this gun. Use to shoot all day long on trips to the local woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Standard .22LR.JPG (183.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by madmag; October 31, 2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old October 31, 2011, 08:52 AM   #46
Maximus856

It's pretty cool to know some of the guys on here were around when the Springfield '03 was still standard issue. "young person technology" bringing a wealth of "old" time knowledge.

Max.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:57 AM   #47
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus856
It's pretty cool to know some of the guys on here were around when the Springfield '03 was still standard issue. "young person technology" bringing a wealth of "old" time knowledge.
My father gave me one of those when I was 15. As a member of the NRA, he was able to get it for $19.95. I still have it.
Old October 31, 2011, 11:37 AM   #48
BlueTrain

According to one source, the last new 1903 rifles were delivered to the army in February 1944, which was only 2 1/2 years before I was born. It doesn't seem all that long ago.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:52 PM   #49
Japle

I’m 65 ½ (man, what I wouldn’t give to be 65 again!)

My parents bought me a Marlin 144LSA .22 target rifle when I was 13. I shot that gun in Jr NRA competition for years and got my Distinguished badge with it. I still have it.

Except for the times when I was in college or stationed somewhere with no competitive shooting available, I’ve been a competitive shooter all my life. I mostly shoot pistol and have 21 handguns. I used to have some shotguns, but I kept trading them for handguns and ran out about 1969. I have 8 or 9 rifles.

My newest:
Old October 31, 2011, 02:41 PM   #50
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus856
It's pretty cool to know some of the guys on here were around when the Springfield '03 was still standard issue.
Well, kinda...at least for me. The M1 was standard issue, but the sniper rifles were 03's. I was lucky, it was peace time. My actual carry was a .45ACP grease gun. I had to carry (20) 30 round mags. of .45ACP in a shoulder pouch. Hard to imagine the guys that had to lug that around in combat.......same ammo and mags fit the Thompson Sub.