The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2011, 10:27 PM   #1
AdamSean

Most Combat Accurate Sub-Compact Pistol

I am looking at getting a new 9mm concealment pistol this week and was looking at quite a few different guns. I am looking for something concealable and as close to combat accurate as I can get. I have had great results from both Glock and Springfield XD, but I don't like the bulk of them or the weight of the XD in a sub-compact. I have seen a couple of videos of someone using the Ruger SR9c in IDPA rather well. I am kind of leaning more toward that for the size. If not the SR9c, I may go with a Glock 19, but was trying to avoid the mid-range sized pistols. What have some of you shot that gave you combat accurate hits?
Old October 24, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2
jimbob86

Combat accurate?

I killed a prairie dog with my EMP at a good 30 yards, when only half of him was showing above th mound.

It's a tight little gun.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 24, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3
bacardisteve

Kahr cw9 keltec p11 bersa.... There are lots of choices out there and most handguns produced today are "combat accurate". Heck even a hi-point is capable of keeping all its shots on a b27 target at 10 yards.
Old October 24, 2011, 10:58 PM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
Heck even a hi-point is capable of keeping all its shots on a b27 target at 10 yards.
I think an experienced shooter would be hard pressed to find any modern gun that could not do that..... or even any handgun period....

"Combat Accuracy" ..... at what range is the combat taking place? Self defense is hard to prove if you shoot someone who is 50 yards away and is not actually shooting at you .....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 24, 2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Mercenary

I shot my neighbors XDsc 40 and put all 9 rounds in a 1.5" ring at 7 yards the first time I shot it! That's the only gun I've shot that accurate with on the first try.
Old October 24, 2011, 11:00 PM   #6
AdamSean

I am really trying to stay with the top contenders. I am looking at Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Ruger SR9c, and maybe Sig Sauer. I don't want to go over $700. I want good firepower and good accuracy out to 25 yards with rapid firing, not slow target fire. I am talking draw aquire and dispatch a threat quickly.
Old October 24, 2011, 11:02 PM   #7
CWKahrFan

My Kahrs are always surprising me with their accuracy... As I've said here before, I love the single-stacks for carry...

If you were going to go up to the Glock 19 size, I highly recommend the Walther PPQ if you're real serious about accuracy... Fantastic trigger and ergos... It's an amazing shooter for about $60 more than a Glock 19. Link:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/72065

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old October 24, 2011, 11:12 PM   #8
AustinTX

You will be the deciding factor in how accurate you find any of the guns on your list to be. All of them will show similar inherent accuracy. One that's accurate in someone else's hands might not work well for you, and one that works well for you might not suit another shooter. No gun is ideal for all shooters. No one's answers here are going to tell you much of anything about which gun will work best for you. Rent as many as you can and see what fits you best.
Beretta Billennium/Billennium/92 Steel I/92 Steel I/92FS/92FS/92FS INOX/92FS INOX/8045F/84BB—HK P7M10/P7M10/USP Elite—SIG P210-5 HF/P210-5/P210-6 HF/P210-6/P210-6/P49—SIG Sauer P229—Colt Gold Cup NM/Gold Cup NM/Python—Browning Hi-Power—USFA 1910—Mauser Luger 29/70/HSc—S&W Model 41/Model 57/Model 57/Model 48-4—Freedom Arms Model 83-PG—Walther PPS—Glock 17—CZ 52—FEG ACK—Kahr P380
Old October 24, 2011, 11:15 PM   #9
AdamSean

I have owned 2 Kahrs in the past and just hated the trigger. It felt good, just shot sloppy.
Old October 24, 2011, 11:20 PM   #10
drail

The "accuracy" (read - skill) of the shooter far outweighs the mechanical accuracy of the gun. I spent a few years working with a Ransom Rest and found out most guns are much more "accurate" than the people shooting them. At "combat distances" it's all on you. "Combat accuracy" is really kind of meaningless.
Old October 24, 2011, 11:39 PM   #11
SHNOMIDO

although i hate it personally, you might want to consider the Beretta storm, or maybe the new nano coming out, but i dont know about that one.

The storm just doesnt fit me, physically and mentally, but most people say its great. i noticed you didnt consider the brand in your list.

best of luck. like most people said, its more about the shooter than the piece. So really where the piece shines is how it fits you and how it points for you.
Old October 24, 2011, 11:42 PM   #12
LockedBreech

I like the baby Glocks. Hickok45 has proven if you do your part a 230-yard shot is possible.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old October 25, 2011, 12:03 AM   #13
AdamSean

I used to own a G26 years ago. The only other gun to give it a run for its money was a Springfield XD9 SC. I was able to whittle down broom sticks at 20 feet with the G26. My first magazine with the Springfield at that range was all in a 3 inch hole. You all may be convincing me to go back to the Glock since I was so proficient with it.Hell, I even punched a hole in a quarter at that range. I still have it...lol.
Old October 25, 2011, 12:18 AM   #14
TxFlyFish

All are "most" combat accurate

It depends on how comfortable you are with ergos, trigger, and sights. If you maintain good basic shooting technique, there are VERY few subcompacts that cannot print inside 3in at 7yds.

I don't want to sound cliche. That while it is true that most folks are not able to wring out the inherent accuracy of a pistol, it is also true that there are absolute differences in accuracy
Old October 25, 2011, 07:13 AM   #15
loose_holster_dan

get ready to have your mind blown

check out the walther pps. very concealable. very accurate.

i'm also a huge fan of the hk psp.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 25, 2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Officer's Match

If I were told I had to be in a gun fight with a subcompact, I'd likely select the HK P2000SK. Had one in 40SW, and it easily bested the G23 I also had in terms of accuracy and target reacquisition.
Old October 25, 2011, 07:39 AM   #17
Beentown71

Quote:
I have owned 2 Kahrs in the past and just hated the trigger. It felt good, just shot sloppy.
Compared to what? Kahr triggers are nice but just long (intentionally). My carry rotation is Springer XD IWB/OWB, CZ82 IWB, Beretta 92fs OWB, Kahr P40 IWB/Occasional pocket, Ruger LCR Pocket.

All combat accurate by far. Single stack has been the trend for me and it is going to be hard to go away from it. That little Kahr just disappears and is SO accurate. It actually suprises me everytime. I wanna get a Walther just to see what the hype is for myself.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old October 25, 2011, 07:53 AM   #18
Seaman

When it comes to polymer accuracy, there is the small Walther PPS...and then there is everything else.

If some perp is holding a knife to my daughter's throat and I have to take the rescue shot, I need a PPS in my hand.
Old October 25, 2011, 08:29 AM   #19
Paul K

Take a look at the HK P7 PSP. They are some of the most accurate 9mm handguns ever made. Not to mention the quality is second to none- they had to stop production because they cost too much to produce. They are also very thin, and with its squeeze cocking design, extremely safe to carry and unique.
Old October 25, 2011, 08:41 AM   #20
plouffedaddy

If you don't mind the bulk---M&Pc. Mine is very accurate. If you want a slimmer gun, my Taurus (yes, I know...) 709slim is an accurate little gun. Mine has also been very reliable, your mileage may vary...
Old October 25, 2011, 08:56 AM   #21
Auto426

"Combat accurate" typicly implies minute of bad guy accuracy out to around 25 yards. Just about any modern sub compact should be able to achieve that, and most will do much better. Pick something that you feel comfortable with and spend some time at te range practicing with it.
Old October 25, 2011, 12:38 PM   #22
tahunua001

I think every handgun is inherently more accurate than most shooters. the ability of the shooter to draw on that accuracy is the main issue. when I qualify with the M9 I score excellent, the highest possible qualification for the M9. I hate the M9 with a passion and would never buy a 92fs as a personal firearm but despite that I can shoot it quite well. I can shoot an XDM45 with the same level of accuracy and I can shoot a glock 17 with slightly diminished accuracy but I can still do quite a bit with one. however in my experience with a glock 19 I had trouble hitting center mass on a DOD LTRII target at 7 yards. I know I am not a bad shot and my buddy was able to hit center mass at 20 yards like it was second nature to him but that was an eye opener. some shooters just dont do well with some guns. you need to find a gun that allows you to use it to it's full potential.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:42 PM   #23
KEVIN74

great little gun

a friend of mine has a glock 26 9mm in a concealed small of the back holster, wish I could remember the holster's name, because he really loves it over others, the thing that pleases me about the G26, is its --Safety= it is on safety 100% of the time and only fires ---IF-- you pull the trigger, no buttons or levers to worry about, it only shoots every time the trigger is pulled, worth looking into at least, no idea of the price though.
Old November 1, 2011, 03:08 PM   #24
sheepman

To me combat accuracy is a minimum of 6" group at 25yd from a rest. Personally I will not keep a hand gun that will not shoot into 4" at 25yd.

Your ability to shoot a handgun accurately (off hand) will depend on how the gun fits you and your personal shooting ability. From a rest I have found (for me) that 40s and 45s will shoot between 2 and 4 " while most 9s will seldom shoot less than 3" groups at 25yds. I did have a Glock 26 that would shoot sub 2" groups with XTP 147 gr bullets behind blue dot but that was an exception.

Most sub compact guns will shoot good enough combat accuracy, they are just harder to shoot accurately.
Old November 1, 2011, 09:15 PM   #25
Deaf Smith

Glock 26/27/33 series.

Head shots at 25 yards. Can do that consistently with any of the three (and yep, I have the three.)

Deaf