The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2011, 12:31 AM   #1
TennJed

Double stack 380 ....CZ 83 vs Bersa Thunder Plus

I have settled on a double stack 380 as my next handgun purchase. It will mainly a range toy. I have settled on either a CZ 83 or a Bresa Plus

I doubt I will consider anything else, but I respect everyone opinions so if you have others go for it.

-Beretta Chettah is too rich for my blood. I want to keep this under $500.
-Must be new. More than half of my guns I bought used and would like to get a NIB this time.
-Must be double stack--12 rounds min.
-I really like the look of the Bersa and CZ...I know looks are not as important as function...but if it functions AND looks good why not...it is a range TOY after all

Anyway, Does anyone have any opinions on the CZ and /or the Bersa. Particularly the following:

1) Warranty and Customer Service
2) Function...esp. with cast lead reloads...don't want any FTF or FTEs
3) Finish durability.. I will probably get black and the CZ's high gloss looks better but how to the different finishes hold up
4) Takedown and cleaning

The Bersa seems to run about $350-$375 here and the CZ about $450-$475....all else the same it might come down to CZ's looks vs Bersa xtra rounds and $100....but I wanted to see if anyone here could helo me decide
Old October 22, 2011, 06:33 AM   #2
PSP

Quote:
I doubt I will consider anything else, but I respect everyone opinions so if you have others go for it.
Beretta 84

I've owned all three of these guns. The Beretta is the best. Not that the others are poor, unreliable or unable, just that the Beretta is higher quality. I shoot it better too, but that's just me. IMHO a used 84 is a better deal than a new Bersa or CZ if the price is the main concern. A used but excellent condition Beretta should be in the $400 to $450 range.

Have fun and be safe with whichever you buy.
Old October 22, 2011, 08:40 AM   #3
TennJed

thanks....that is a good idea...but i really want a new gun and i like thelook of the bersaand cz...what you say makes sense and ii have bought plenty of used guns and i should not be hung up on looks....but this is going to be a range toy and as of now i think i want to stick with new
Old October 22, 2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Beretta_Cheetah

Both are great. I believe Beretta makes the best 380 out there and a have (2) 84s & (1) 85. I've also owned several Bersa 380s. I tell anyone who asks the same thing and recommend to them that unless they are emotionally attached to Beretta (which I am), the Bersa provides the best value. I have never had a problem with my Bersas. They provide a lifetime warranty and seem to stand behind it.

Again, you can't go wrong with any of these. I would just go with Bersa because of the cost, reliability & warranty. A new CZ I think runs a little higher, is reliable & a bit heavier. And I don't know about their warranty. Hopefully another member is familiar with their warranty.
Old October 22, 2011, 12:27 PM   #5
JohnO

I have a Beretta and have had a CZ83. Both are great guns. One is not clearly better than the other. My CZ was dead on reliable, accurate and had a better double action pull than my Beretta. Either is a head and shoulder above a Bersa.
Old October 22, 2011, 01:30 PM   #6
jmstr

I've only held one of those pistols: the Bersa.

I was able to dry-fire it at the LGS.

I liked the way it fit my hand, but I was not happy with the trigger. It felt grittier than I like in my pistols.

Now I have not let that stop me from purchasing in the past, nor will it in the future. I can do some ok [and SAFE] smithing to improve things.

However, I was in no hurry to purchase a firearm in a NEW caliber that I would then have to stock on hand. 22/38/357/9/44/45 and then rifle calibers are enough for me [and my wife agrees, or did she 'suggest' that was enough-I don't remember].

But the Bersa felt nice and the trigger wasn't bad, it just wasn't as crisp as I would want it.

Haven't tried the others yet. Maybe one day.

But, I decided I'd go double-stack compact 9mm or single stack compact 9mm instead. Just my preference. So far....
Old October 22, 2011, 03:55 PM   #7
predecessor

Of the two, I would definitely choose the CZ 83 - That being said, the Bersa is a good value and has the higher mag capacity. It's also the lighter of the two.

But the all steel 83 is built like a tank and will be the better long-term performer IMO.

The Beretta 84 is an excellent choice as well.
Old October 22, 2011, 04:03 PM   #8
EAJ702

I’ve owned both a Bersa 380 and CZ 83’s.

I encountered issues with the Bersa which required warranty intervention and were not resolved by the repair facility. (I gave them two shots at it, no pun intended.) Purchased one for my dad at about the same time and he hasn’t had any issues with his.

The CZ 83’s have been completely reliable and more comfortable to shoot then the Bersa. Takedown and cleaning for both the CZ and Bersa are about equal. IMO, the CZ is a better choice for a range pistol. (About $385 shipped at jetguns.com.)

Last edited by EAJ702; October 22, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old October 22, 2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Datguy781

I haven't owned the CZ-82/83 but have owned other CZ's and a Bersa Thunder. I recommend the CZ, my experience with the bersa was sadly mostly negative. My experience with CZ has alwasys been pleasent and I will more than likely be in the market for another one soon.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:00 PM   #10
franco45

Quote:
I have a Beretta and have had a CZ83. Both are great guns. One is not clearly better than the other. My CZ was dead on reliable, accurate and had a better double action pull than my Beretta. Either is a head and shoulder above a Bersa.
I have owned a Beretta 84bb and a Bersa Thunder. I still own the Bersa and am looking at the Thunder Plus myself. So I obviously disagree with the "head and shoulders" comment.
Old October 22, 2011, 11:23 PM   #11
jmstr

Just for my information, are all three of these pistols straight blow-back operation?

Does anyone make a .380 that cams back and down to absorb some of the recoil?
Old October 23, 2011, 12:34 AM   #12
makarov

The Colt Mustang (discontinued) and the Sig P238 (a Mustang clone) are both mini-1911 style guns chambered in .380. They are not blowback designs. Never owned or shot either one, but I do have a CZ-83 that I bought about 10 years ago when they seemed to be going cheap. Got mine for about $200-220 can't remember exactly. Good gun, hardly ever shoot it. .380 is about the same price as 9mm. My Kahr K-9 Elite is the same size and honestly has about the same recoil. If it was a choice between the CZ and a Bersa, I really am partial to the CZ's. Own several pistols and rifles made by that company. All are excellent.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:11 AM   #13
jmstr

Thanks Makarov

Would I be right in assuming you like the Makarov better than any of the three options listed at the beginning of the thread?
Old October 23, 2011, 11:42 AM   #14
BrittB

I have a FEG PA-63 and got the chance to compare the Bersa Thunder side by side. They are very close in size and shoot about the same but the Bersa really impressed me and feels very good in my hand. I think the big point I'm making is to try out the guns your interested in side by side and see which one fits your hand and appeals to your needs. That's the only way your ever going to know which one is best for you. I like the Bersa over the CZ but that's just me.
Old October 23, 2011, 06:04 PM   #15
makarov

The CZ is better than the Makarov in many ways. Higher capacity, nicer trigger. I like the Makarovs, it was one of my firist real pistols, but they are a heavy single stack gun. I would grab my Kahr K9 or any other 9mm probably before one of the Maks.

Last edited by makarov; October 23, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old October 24, 2011, 12:49 PM   #16
group17

ATI clone of the 84.

ATI MS380 380/ $300
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/75605
Old October 24, 2011, 01:01 PM   #17
michael t

Bersa if you can find one. They are a might scarce.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old October 24, 2011, 01:13 PM   #18
graysmoke

The CZ-83 is probably one of the finest made .380's in it's caliber class. The Bersa is a good handgun...But let me say again - Good.
The quality crafstmanship, and mechanics of the CZ-83 are as equal to the quality design of those other Hi-End name guns.
And I always consider the Re-Sale value....Any CZ handgun will always be a stronger value.

Overall just an Excellent .380 pistol that can shoot any brand ammo with no problems. Hey, there has to be a logical reason for the Eastern European Police Agencies to carry them as their side arm.
I personally like the older CZ-83 with the rounded trigger guard.
Old October 24, 2011, 01:14 PM   #19
WVsig

+1 for the used Beretta 84FS. It is the best shooting 380 auto I have ever owned. I think the fact it is not a stright blow back backs this gun a softer shooter in the 380 auo category. You can also look for a Browning BDA which is essential the same gun. They can be had LNIB for under $500.

Next is the CZ83 which I do not own but I do own a CZ82 which is basically the same thing as the 83. Sweet trigger on these guns. The downside of all CZs it they are harder than most guns to detail strip. Not a consdieration for all shooters but for some it is an issue.

I owned a Bersa Tunder 380 and it is OK. Trigger is not a nice as the other 2. Bersa mags are expensive and there are few if any aftermarket makers. The Bersa is a good $169 good but now that they cost closer to $300 there are better options.

Last edited by WVsig; October 24, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 24, 2011, 04:21 PM   #20
Billy Shears

I have owned all the above and would rank them as follows.

1st. CZ-83.
2nd. Beretta.
Distant 3rd. Bersa.

That's just one guy's opinion, of course, not Gospel Truth, based on what I perceived to be the most important factors for me when I purchased them...ergonomics, reliability, bang-for-the-buck, etc.

Frankly, I think the CZ-83 is a really under-appreciated pistol. This is not just a "poor man's Beretta." It's a finely made weapon that runs without quitting and is super accurate as well. Great quality at a great price is hard to turn down.

To me the Beretta was obscenely priced for what it gave me. Nice pistol, no doubt, but it had more machine marks than my CZ and was no more reliable.

The Bersa looked like it had been assembled in the Kel-Tec factory. Functional and cheap, sure, but certainly nothing to write home about.

Again, just my opinion. Worth no more than what you paid for it.
Old November 4, 2011, 12:55 PM   #21
Sheikyourbootie

Funny timing of seeing this thread, as I've been looking for a 380 BUG. I tried the Bersa, Baretta (liked it....but some ftf's with Blazer crap ammo), and CZ. The CZ had the best trigger...hands down. The bersa had a much smoother action once the trigger broke...to bad it no longer operated the hammer. Sorry, but this rental gun did NOT instill a sense of confidence in me.

The CZ had no malfunctions and ran like a sewing machine...from the crap blazer, wwb, all the way up to the Buffalo Bore hardcast +p loadings.

I ordered the CZ. Liked the looks of the baretta the best, but the function and the trigger are what mad me end up ordering the CZ...I should be getting it in a few weeks.