The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 19, 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
kst8fan

Winchester Canadian Centennial 30-30

Found this rifle at a local gun shop. I have been in the market for a lever action, preferably one that was made years ago when they were made right. I believe this gun is a 1967. The price tag is $600 firm and I was wondering if it was worth buying. Anyone know what the value is on this gun? Needing some info as I know nothing about this gun. I believe it's a Model 94 Winchester. Should also mention the tag on it says "Unfired".
Old October 19, 2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The Canadian Centennial was made in 1967 as you have identified.
The fine old all-milled guns were made prior to 1964.
Winchester started putting some quality back in in 1968.
The Canadian Centennial and a lot of those other gaudy commemoratives were built on the most cheapened version of the 94 action.
That said, a friend had one that shot like a champ and he didn't mind the stamped lifter and other cost cutters. Apparently they did not cut corners on barrel quality. I don't know about $600 but prices are up all over.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:29 PM   #3
OJ

It's one of my favorites - if it had been used I'd say that was a little pricey but unfired - guess I'd have to see it but even then, I'd say but it. Lever guns are my favorite action - it's drilled/tapped for the Williams FP94/36 aperture rear sight meaning all you need to do is remove the two screws and install the sight - it does require a little taller front sight, though - I use the Williams white stripe one -

I'd say - go for it - it's not pre-64 but that's minor for me - they came with octagonal barrels - 20" and 26" long - the better choice - for me, at least is the shorter barrel but they're both good.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER