Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 23, 2013, 01:51 PM   #51
steveNChunter

Quote:
I have no problem slapping on... leapers
I have heard Center-Point scopes are made by Leapers. Not 100% certain
Old May 23, 2013, 03:56 PM   #52
Venom1956

not be be a snob but claim what you want... centerpoint scopes are garbage.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:56 PM   #53
Rumpelhardt

Quote:
I won't spend another dollar on leupold/redfield scopes as long as I live yet I have no problem slapping on]Nikons, leapers and barskas(assuming the barska is going on a 22lr)
Nikon is actually in the mid Leupold/ Burris category. Defiantly not in the category you put them in. The cheap Nikon's are twice the money and 3 times the scope of the best Center Point.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:42 AM   #54
steveNChunter

After I bought my first Burris FFII I dont pay a whole lot of attention to many other scopes in that price range. I like their newer Fullfield E1 even better simply because of the magnification adjustment ring, instead of the whole rear part of the scope turning on the FFII. For $150 a better scope cannot be found.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:28 AM   #55
n5lyc

I will chime in here, center point scopes are manufactured to air gun recoil specs.

Having been a long time air gunner (actually anything with a trigger)
A high powered spring air gun will shoot loose MANY high dollar scopes.
Leopold, Nikon and others.

While the optics may not ne as great as those other names, the build quality, and recoil absorption is.

Just google air gun recoil, the recoil impulse is VERY different on air guns, and extremely harsh.

They even have to install recoil blocks on the scope rails to keep the mounts from "walking" over time.

Just thought I would throw in my penny's worth.

45 Bravo
Old May 29, 2013, 01:54 PM   #56
777funk

n5lyc, you are exactly right about airgun recoil. I had a spring piston (Gamo) that the scope mount would work it's way off of the gun every time I mounted it in about 100 shots. I eventually had to drill through the receiver and use a one piece mount that had a stopping pin that went down through the mount and into the receiver. This did the trick. No more walking and the harsh spring bounce back and forth (recoil) is no longer knocking the scope (centerpoint 3-9x40 that came free on another airgun) out of zero.
Old May 29, 2013, 02:20 PM   #57
777funk

I just got a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 2.5-10x40 and I had a chance to compare it side by side. It's sunny out so not exactly the time to compare... I'll do it again at dusk at some point. But here's what I found.

I could immediately see that the Bushnell Elite has better image quality. If it were a camera lens, there'd be quality differences in the resulting pictures that were noticeable. But it wasn't like, wow the Centerpoint is bad in comparison. It's just the Bushnell looked noticeably better (not night and day but definitely brighter and clearer). For shooting or hunting, I can see no problem with the CP's image quality, it's very good as far as I'm concerned and I like the Adjustable Objective for a nice sharp focus at varrying distances. Dusk and Dawn could be another story in image quality. I'd not doubt there will be quite an edge to the Bushnell in very low light although I will say I've shot a squirrel or two (head shots) at dusk with the CP and it's done just fine.

I could see some minor artifacts/reflections in the Centerpoint from the sun. It wasn't enough distraction to be a problem but I could see them. With the wrong sun angle, I'm sure the CP could be unusable. I haven't had a real bad situation to compare the two in yet but these minor artifacts weren't visible on the Elite 4200.

The Centerpoint actually wins hands down in one department so far and that happens to be what I use a scope for most often... indoor range 10 yard bullseye shooting with a PCP air rifle (QB78). With both scopes each on 10 power (max for the Bushnell) I could barely distinguish edges on the target. Actually, it was so blurred out of focus I could hardly tell what I was looking at. The CP focuses tack sharp at 10 yards. I'm sure the reason here is the Adjustable Objective. At 10 yards I could only use the Bushnell at 6 power and still have a sharp image. This is no good for me when it comes to close up target shooting. I shoot much better groups at high magnification. Groups at 4 power were about nickel size where at 10 or 12 on the CP scope, I can consistently shoot dime size or smaller and occassionally I shoot 2 or 3 through a single .177 pellet hole. With regular Crosman wadcutter (milk carton box) pellets, I find that's the best I can do with this rifle. I tried some other brands (JSB Exacts, Crosman Premier, and a few other good pellets) and they're maybe a tiny bit more consistent (same size groups but without the occasional flyer).

Accuracy wise, the CP seems to hold a zero well on this rifle as well as the harsh spring airgun that I have the other one on.

But that's my thoughts on it compared to a 'real' scope. I still don't consider it a throw away as I expected I would after buying a $500 Elite. It's a great scope for the $40 I paid (refurbished). If it holds a zero for 10 years through rough handling and frequent shooting, I'd call it a very good scope. Time will tell there.

Last edited by 777funk; May 29, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:06 AM   #58
JerryM

I have only bought scopes for hunting. If I have to hunt in bad weather I don't want the scope to fog. I have had that happen years ago with Weaver. Also the scope needs to be rugged.

I won't buy or use any scope except a first rate scope such as Leupold. Why miss the chance for a trophy of a lifetime or a trip ruined due to a cheap scope?

For me, except for a .22 for squirrel hunting or such that scope is not even worth considering.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13 *┬ÂLet us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 *For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:36 AM   #59
777funk

JerryM,
I'd second that thought about equipment working when it needs to. For me 90% of my shooting is indoor airgun or outdoor 22 and squirrel hunting. For that, these things work just fine.