The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2011, 10:11 AM   #1
tynimiller

2011 Whitetail Harvest Thread...

I realize with this forum gun seasons will bring the most pics but figured I'd get a 2011 Whitetail Thread started...because as we all know it's a blast just seeing what everyone else is getting.

I got this guy October 15th with my Missions Venture compound and a 100gr. Grim Reaper broadhead. Pics of over 22 bucks on trail cams on our small 10 acre spot...but never a single one of this guy this year or last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 Buck.jpg (206.7 KB, 345 views)
Old October 17, 2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Logs

Just bought 42 acres next to my folks and was able to get my first muzzleloader buck. Rack looked larger in the scope Too late now.............

Old October 17, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
tynimiller

Not a bad buck at all! How many can you get in KY? I'm done now after one in Indiana.
Old October 20, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
tynimiller

wow...two deer this year...just sad. Maybe we all can't shoot bullseyes like we claim.
Old October 20, 2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Hog Buster

Or maybe deer season isn’t open yet, like here in Louisiana. While bow hunting has been open since October 1 many areas of the state won’t be open till mid November for the rifle and pistol hunters

And yes, there’s no doubt that most of the bullseyes shot on this forum are really bovine scat.

Addendum:

Limit here is 6. Three bucks and three does. Plus there's always a chance to kill a couple of more does on a managed area.

Things are looking good here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bucks.jpg (223.3 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by Hog Buster; October 20, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:28 AM   #6
PawPaw

The Primitive Firearms season opens tomorrow morning in my area of Louisiana. I'll be on the stand before daylight.

I took the rifle out last weekend and posted an 8" paper plate at 100 yards, which is the distance I normally shoot deer from my stand. I put five into the paper plate and called it good. The eyes are going the way of the rest of my body after all these years and this might be the last year I use iron sights for hunting. Next year I'll probably have a little low power scope on that rifle.

Tomorrow at daylight, we'll see what we see.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old October 21, 2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Rembrandt

No gun season here till December......but 9 year old grand daughter got her first deer during the special youth season.

Old October 22, 2011, 05:49 PM   #8
tynimiller

That's absolutely awesome!!!!
Old October 25, 2011, 10:51 PM   #9
golfballshootr

Youth rifle buck and a SMILE!

This is my son's youth rifle buck. I hunted this rascal hard with bow, and figured I better put his hiney on him for youth rifle before some of our glorious can't read signs neighbors caught a glimpse of him. I may not have gotten him, but I was there when he was taken and know where he will be from now on!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old October 26, 2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Mr Dish

Like my hunting fever wasn't bad enough...you guys had to go and get me even more excited about this years whitetail firearm season.......thanks alot fellas.
Old November 7, 2011, 09:56 AM   #11
tynimiller

alrighty gun seasons starting up in spots...let's get some deer posted here fellas!
Old November 7, 2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Legionnaire

Sorry, no pics (even forgot my smart phone), but I took my first deer with a muzzleloader this year ... a nice doe in PA's early antlerless muzzleloader season. Dropped her at 40 yards or so with a saboted 240 grain .44 caliber XTP from an Encore 209x50. Should have dragged her out of the truck and posed a shot with the rifle when I got home, but decided to take her straight to the butcher. Pics of the next one ... promise!
Old November 7, 2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Poodleshooter

I shot a small doe for meat during muzzleloader opener here in VA this weekend.
About a 40yd shot, using a .50 T/C Black Diamond (iron sights), a 250gr HP Powerbelt and 80grs of 777. Penetration was through and through. Didn't see any sign of expansion.
I was reading a good western in my stand about an hour before dusk when she walked into the clearing and gave me a broadside shot I couldn't resist. A nice drop and flop kill, so I didn't have to trail her, which was convenient.
I might take the flintlock out next time. All of my shots are 50yds or less due to the lay of the land and the cover. There's a nice 10pt that comes around to rut every now and again with the herd of does that beds down a few hundred yards from my stand. I passed up a marginal shot opportunity on him last year (head on, when his head was low and in front of his chest), which I'm still regretting.
Old November 8, 2011, 10:43 AM   #14
BombthePeasants

Only my 2nd deer ever...

Used an M1 Garand with reloads: 168gr. A-Max in front of 47.2gr IMR 4064. Deer was close, approx. 25 yards. I would like for him to have been farther away, to test my shooting skill, but it was late Sunday morning, and I had to get back home.

Myself, my daughter, and my mother's dog, staring intently at the tongue...not the best photo ever, I admit.
Old November 8, 2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My biggest ever, by far.

He's not that big by most standards but he's a real trophy in my world.
Old November 8, 2011, 11:32 AM   #16
2damnold4this

He's a nice one, peetzakilla
Old November 8, 2011, 12:46 PM   #17
Saltydog235

Took this one at daylight one morning a little earlier in the season. Definite shooter in this area.

4 Sookies in the freezer or feeding needy families as well.
Old November 8, 2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's a beaut, Salty!

Love the look on the young ladies face, BombthePeasants. She looks a lot like my daughter.
Old November 8, 2011, 03:09 PM   #19
BombthePeasants

She's quite the character. And she's very chatty. She was probably in the middle of singing a song, or asking her 1 millionth question before mid-morning. "WHATS THAT DADDY?" "WHATS THAT?" "WHATS THIS?"
Old November 8, 2011, 05:00 PM   #20
Dr. A

My Bow Buck

My son's doe from Sept. youth season.

243 at 100 yards.
Old November 9, 2011, 09:24 AM   #21
tws92E05

This guy ran 12 deer out of my field Sunday morning. He won't be doing that again. My son shot him with his new Howa in 25-06 running straight at him at about 50 yards.

Oh well I will be back out there this weekend looking for the big 10 pointer we have been seeing on camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4482.jpg (261.5 KB, 182 views)
Old November 10, 2011, 10:57 AM   #22
Sea Buck

One for my freezer!

Here in Maine the season opened Oct 29 for residents and Oct 31 for general hunting. No one that I know has a "anterless" permit. So it's been Bucks only and the harvest is down,but along the expected lines that the DIFW want,so as to increase the numbers. I tagged out yesterday with a 140 lb 4 point. Took him with my .243 and the caliber didn't make a difference to him as he was DRT and collapsed like a deflted ballon. 50 yard shot.Put the crosshairs between the shoulders with his head down browsing.That was the easy part.Thank God for ATV's or I'd be still draging him out.
Old November 10, 2011, 12:26 PM   #23
slammedsi

took this cull 8 point this morning, 166 yards. The old 257. Weatherby did the job. He didnt run an inch.

Old November 10, 2011, 04:21 PM   #24
MOshooter65202

Lot of nice deer posted.
Here in MO. our rifle season starts in 2 days 11/12/2011 i'm getting excited!!
Old November 10, 2011, 05:44 PM   #25
Hunter Customs

Yes there's some nice bucks posted here and congradulations to everyone that got a deer.

Like last year I've decided not to go deer hunting this year.
However in the last two days I've seen two big bucks, it almost made me change my mind and go buy a tag.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
wwww.huntercustoms.com