The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 13, 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Khumanos

SIG PRO 2022 vs GLOCK 17

I already have the 2022 and like it a lot. I just got the Glock 26 and love it. Was wondering what ya'lls opinions were between the two. I am tempted to get the Glock and trade my Sig in. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

-Khumanos
Old October 13, 2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I love sigs to death.. but I would say that the SP2022, while it is a great gun, is not of the same quality that the Glock 17 is. With that said, they are two very different fire control mechanisms. Which do you prefer?

If you prefer the striker fired Glock, then go that route. If you prefer the DA/SA style of the Sig, then go that route and maybe upgrade to something like a P226.

If possible, keep the SP2022 and get the G17.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:34 AM   #3
plouffedaddy

Both are good guns but if you can only have one---G17 takes the cake IMO. They are rugged, reliable, easy to work on, parts are cheap, and have average to good accuracy. It's also one of the most proven 'combat' pistols in the world. I have a Gen3 and it is one of my favorite guns. Problem is, my girl loves it too has basically claimed it as 'her gun' and I rarely get to carry/shoot it much these days . But the fact I shoot it well with very large hands and she shoots it well with very small hands is a statement in itself. Some people hate the Glock ergos (certainly no 1911, I agree) but I like them.

Last edited by plouffedaddy; October 14, 2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:55 AM   #4
jgcoastie

There's not a single thing in the world wrong with the quality of the SP2022. It is a quality handgun, just as all the "mainstream" SigSauer handguns. It has a polymer frame and they made a long ton of them, so they're selling for bargain prices. They're outstanding guns with every bit of the legacy SigSauer quality. To say the Glock 17 is of better quality is a false statement.

Now to the OP: The SP2022 is a great gun, so is the G17. The benefit you gain by getting a G17 is the ability to use your G17 magazines in your G26. While that's not a concern for some, it is an option that's available to you if you go that route.

I'd probably save up for a G17 or G19 and use it for CCW, keep the SP2022 as a nightstand gun, truck gun, or just another CCW option.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 14, 2011, 04:48 AM   #5
RT

one advantage of going all Glock is the consistent manual of arms, trigger pull and commonality of magazines.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
RC20

Quote:
I love sigs to death.. but I would say that the SP2022, while it is a great gun, is not of the same quality that the Glock 17 is. With that said, they are two very different fire control mechanisms. Which do you prefer?

I take severe exception to the statement that the Sig SP2022 is not a "quality" gun. If you do not like it, thats fine. Do not denigrate its quality because it does not suit you.

I have testimony that it matches up with a Sig Elite and while its an opinion, the shooter felt it actually was better. I have shot it side by side with an HK P30 and feel that overall its the better gun (and the P30 is one damned nice gun with some feature I would like to have on the Sig).

The eminently respected Bruce Gray carries one. Bruce and his company are and about quality.

You may not like the Sig SP2022, but to say the Glock is a quality gun and the Sig SP22 is not is pure baloney (and thats being kind) and is both a foolish statement and expresses a profound ignorance on your part.

Personally I do not like striker fired guns. Thats me. A lot of people do. Ergo, I do not care for the Glock. Not because its not a well made gun, I don't like the striker system, so I will not buy one . If someone wants a reliable striker fired gun I would tell them a Glock should be one of their top choices.

Making an informed decision means all the facts, which in the case of the Sig boil down to the magazine does not swap out.

Further than that, no the SP2022 does not have all sorts of parts for it because it does not need them. Its an excellent gun out of the box with as good as the SRT trigger that's an option on other Sigs.

Last edited by RC20; October 15, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:37 PM   #7
AustinTX

RC20, I suggest actually reading Uncle Malice's post. He didn't say the SP2022 was not a quality gun.
Beretta Billennium/Billennium/92 Steel I/92 Steel I/92FS/92FS/92FS INOX/92FS INOX/8045F/84BB—HK P7M10/P7M10/USP Elite—SIG P210-5 HF/P210-5/P210-6 HF/P210-6/P210-6/P49—SIG Sauer P229—Colt Gold Cup NM/Gold Cup NM/Python—Browning Hi-Power—USFA 1910—Mauser Luger 29/70/HSc—S&W Model 41/Model 57/Model 57/Model 48-4—Freedom Arms Model 83-PG—Walther PPS—Glock 17—CZ 52—FEG ACK—Kahr P380
Old October 15, 2011, 01:38 PM   #8
BigBrute

+1 RC20
I love my SP2022. I cannot see a time where I would ever trade it for anything. The one are in which I will concede defeat to the Glocks is in accessories.

But the hard fact is you have to go with what you like and are comfortable with.

BB
Old October 15, 2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I take severe exception to the statement that the Sig SP2022 is not a "quality" gun. If you do not like it, thats fine. Do not denigrate its quality because it does not suit you.
I never said it was not a quality gun, I said it's not to the same level of quality as a Glock 17, and I stand firm on that statement. I have owned an SP2022 and shot several other examples. The DA trigger is heavy, but smooth. The single action is.. acceptable, but certainly not the same level as the classic P-series Sigs, and definitely not even close to the SRT trigger found on the Elite models.

Quote:
I have testimony that it matches up with a Sig Elite and while its an opinion, the shooter felt it actually was better.
What is "testimony"? Here's my testimony. As someone who owns a P229 Elite Stainless, a P220 Elite Stainless, a P226 Elite, a P229 Equinox, P229R, P229, P239, P220 Compact SAS, W. German P226, and have previously owned an SP2022... I can assure you.. the trigger is not the same on the SP2022, nor is it better. However, that's not to say that it is a bad trigger either. I wish my SP2022 would have worked flawlessly, because the trigger wasn't that big of a deal. On every range trip, my trigger would fail to reset at least once, and the slide would fail to go into battery at least once - usually more of each.

I didn't bother sending it off to Sig to fix it. I wasn't in love with the gun as I usually am with Sigs and I gave it ample opportunity to see if it just needed to 'break in' with about 600 rounds through it. For the price, I decided to just sell it(yes, I let the person know what I was seeing.)

It is a good gun, and I've seen examples that were reliable - but I do not believe that their quality is the same a Glock 17. That's all I'm saying. Call me foolish or ignorant all you want, I have no desire to get into a prick-swinging contest. My opinions are worth what you paid for them.
Old October 15, 2011, 02:44 PM   #10
RC20

So, my take is you did not like the feel of the Sig SP2022 and you had a problem and put it in the not quality gun category.

I am fine with you not liking the feel, not saying that it had a problem and what it was I think is disingenuous. I think that's the second actually problem I have read or found reported for this gun and I have done a lot of research.
Glocks to have problems and fail to so I do not find that supporting that it is not the same Quality as a Glock (while Glocks are utilitarian and functional, I am of the school that is not the same as quality, though others may disagree on that).

I have handled Glocks and they do not have a "quality" feel that I have with the Sig SP2022, HK, FN and some others. I would use the terms Functional and Reliable for Glock, not qulaity, and I will agree others may thing those two amount to quality. Quality to me is something that feels good as well as the other attributes. Almost all reports on the SP2022 like its feel.

And here is the link in reference to the SP2022. Again while its a perception, I have also handle a Sig P220, and felt that the SP2022 had the same feel as that gun.

http://tacticalgunreview.com/?p=738

I think there is a preponderance of evidence that the Sig SP2022 is indeed a quality gun and I will leave it to others to comment on the Glock.
Old October 15, 2011, 02:55 PM   #11
gc70

Quote:
... and I gave it ample opportunity to see if it just needed to 'break in' with about 600 rounds through it.

On every range trip, my trigger would fail to reset at least once, and the slide would fail to go into battery at least once - usually more of each.

I didn't bother sending it off to Sig to fix it.
You own 9 'classic' Sigs; did any of them require a "break in" period? But you thought an obvious mechanical problem was going to be resolved by shooting the gun more. And sending a broken gun back to the factory to be fixed was beyond consideration.

Quote:
I wasn't in love with the gun as I usually am with Sigs ...
A lot of 'classic' Sig owners did not like Sig going polymer. The original SP2009/SP2340 models were essentially killed by that attitude before SP2022 overruns hit our shores with budget pricing.

As to quality, my son bought an SP2009 - at a much higher price than the current SP2022 guns. As an Advanced Glock Armorer, he knows a bit about Glock quality and he did not think the Sig's quality was inferior.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:04 PM   #12
predecessor

I'm not sure what side of the bed you woke up on today RC20...

Seems like offense is being taken where none was meant and that we're running around the semantics game here.

Uncle Malice said he didn't think the SP2022 was of the same "quality" of the Glock. Most of us understood him to say that he simply prefers the Glock to his experience with the SP2022.

You took offense at this and lambasted him and then later went onto say:

Quote:
I would use the terms Functional and Reliable for Glock, not qulaity
Ok for you to say it but not for him? You then go onto say that your definition of quality
Quote:
is something that feels good as well as the other attributes.
We can accept that. Why could you not accept the same definition from Uncle Malace?

The SP2022 works for some folks and I don't begrudge them or you this. But I'm one of those who felt that almost every other pistol in it's class outperformed the SIG - didn't 'feel" great to me nor did it perform in a remarkable way for me. Gonna have to leave me out of the "almost all reports"
Old October 15, 2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

Quote:
And sending a broken gun back to the factory to be fixed was beyond consideration.
No. I just didn't care enough to send it in. It was less than $400. I got a fair trade on it, so that was good enough for me. I'm impatient.

My opinion on the quality stem from the take down lever. It's not very well designed. It almost hurts your fingers trying to pop that pin out from the back side. The slide to frame fit was not very good. It didn't wobble or anything, but the rear of the slide did not line up with the frame as nicely as the P-series does. The replaceable grip panels are a bear to remove too. Not very user friendly.

It is what it is.. for $400, it's a decent gun. I do not think it's a $500+ gun. I do not think it is on par with the classic Sigs. I do not think it is on par with Glocks.

Even after my experience I do recommend them to people. For the price point, the SP2022 or the classic XD line are very good guns.

Last edited by Uncle Malice; October 15, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old October 15, 2011, 04:42 PM   #14
LockedBreech

Uncle Malice has been around TFL long enough to deserve an opinion withot being attacked for it.

RC20, on a forum, not everyone is going to like what you like. I love my Beretta PX4, and I've had people say it's ugly, the rotating barrel mechanism worries them, the ergonomics are bad, etc.

I'll only challenge claims to quality, but Uncle Malice didn't question quality at all. He said he thought the Glock 17 was of better quality.

What's so wrong with that? It's a forum! It's his opinion!

It's probably also fact, to some extent. Come on, it would be silly to suggest that a $400 gun is 100% the same quality as an $800 P229. More materials and workmanship go into the latter. We're not talking diminishing-returns expense of 1911s here. Yes, the 2022 has received large contracts. So has the 229. The price difference reflects a materials difference.

I love my PX4. I'd love a 2022. I'd love an XD-9 or XD-40. I'd trust them with my life.

However, if someone said a Glock, Beretta 92-series, HK USP, or Sig 229 was better, I wouldn't disagree. Those guns probably ARE better for a hardcore military or police-spec user, and probably have higher worksmanship standards.

Money does NOT always deliniate quality, but sometimes it really does.

And money aside, if you don't like a gun, and don't feel it's at the same level as another, why aren't you entitled to your opinion, especially on a discussion forum?
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old October 15, 2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Hard Ball

I am tempted to get the Glock and trade my Sig in. Thoughts?

You will be sorry if you do
Old October 15, 2011, 06:11 PM   #16
graysmoke

I got the Glock 19...9mm....Compact. Awesome - Simply Awesome.

I also got the Glock 23...40S&W....Even More Awesome.
Old October 15, 2011, 07:53 PM   #17
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar
Come on, it would be silly to suggest that a $400 gun is 100% the same quality as an $800 P229. More materials and workmanship go into the latter. We're not talking diminishing-returns expense of 1911s here. Yes, the 2022 has received large contracts. So has the 229. The price difference reflects a materials difference.
Price is a poor proxy for quality, and not even a good reflection of material and production costs.
Sig's 2004 prices were: SP2009 for $640, P239 for $642, and P229 for $840.
Sig's 2011 prices are: SP2022 for $494 (-23%), P239 for $858 (+34%), and P229 for $993 (+18%).
Old October 15, 2011, 07:59 PM   #18
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Price is a poor proxy for quality
Not necessarily. Introduction price, maybe. The market will eventually determine the average price. I think you're incredibly high in your estimates on the P229 though. They're more like $850, however, if no one bought P229's for $850, they would come down in price pretty quick.

Those prices are right about where they should be. The SP series was never a 600-dollar gun. Kind of like when they first released the P250 and tried to sell it for the same price... now they're like $350...

Let's not forget to take into consideration that we have seen significant inflation in the past few years. Everything is getting more expensive, not just guns.

Hell, I bought my HK P30S about a year ago for $780 out-the-door. Now I can't find them for less than about $830 (I'd like to get a regular P30 or P30L in 9mm to go with my .40)
Old October 15, 2011, 08:17 PM   #19
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
The SP series was never a 600-dollar gun.
The price on any gun is whatever the market will pay - as evidenced by the price of HKs. Sig tried to emulate HK's pricing model on the original SP series and were clobbered because people did compare Sig's metal guns to their polymer guns. HK had an easier time pricing their extensive polymer line in relation to the exotic P7 line of metal guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
I think you're incredibly high in your estimates on the P229 though.
Prices cited are Sig's prices - click on the links (see Specifications tab for 2011 prices).
Old October 15, 2011, 08:21 PM   #20
Uncle Malice

lol. Who sells guns anywhere at MSRP?
Old October 15, 2011, 08:36 PM   #21
gc70

Sure, retail prices are discounted from MSRP, but MSRP is the most consistent source of pricing information I could find. Maybe your Google-fu is more powerful and you can find consistent retail prices to compare now and a half dozen years ago.

--------------------

BTW, I don't think there is any basic quality difference between polymer Sigs and Glocks; they are all high quality guns. The difference is in the design - some like one and some like the other.

And every gun manufacturer makes a few lemons - sorry about your SP2022, Uncle Malice.

Last edited by gc70; October 15, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old October 15, 2011, 09:06 PM   #22
Marquezj16

QUOTE]I am tempted to get the Glock and trade my Sig in.[/QUOTE]

I have a good home for SP2022 no longer wanted by their owners.
Old October 16, 2011, 06:39 PM   #23
sakata8242

I actually just did the exact trade (well, almost; I ended up with a G19) the OP is thinking about.

My SP2022 was flawless during all ~1400 rounds I put through it, and had a great SA trigger that I dare say was crisper than even the "Classic" SIG triggers. However, I just never really warmed up to it. I bought it when I was still getting into shooting, not knowing what I really wanted, and not wanting to spend a lot of money. These days when I hit the range, the SP2022 sadly stayed in the safe, and my P226 or P239 came along instead.

So it was time to find it a new home. I did lose out a little bit on the trade, but I'm so far really digging the G19 that replaced it, so I'm satisfied; in the end I suppose that's what matters most.

The only thing is that if you SP2022 is a German made specimen, it may fetch a little more than the newer all-Exeter specimens, especially if you find someone who knows SIGs and understands that the German guns are hard to find these days.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:03 PM   #24
Khumanos

Thanks for all the input guys! Haven't made up my mind yet, but you have given me plenty to think about.