The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 13, 2011, 01:36 PM   #26
spacecoast

Sorry to be a "buzzkilling" member of the "price-check police", a role I actually kind of enjoy , but the OP did ask for feedback on how he did. Knowing what real-world prices are for guns and how to find them may save him a lot of $$$ in the future. I have also bought several guns from my LGS, probably at prices a bit higher than average, but $400 for an ordinary Model 10 was quite a bit over the market.

Badcompany - I do hope you enjoy the gun as much as I enjoy mine. It's a great one to learn with. If you learn to reload you have the potential of saving way more than the purchase of the gun.
Old October 13, 2011, 01:46 PM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
BTW, since it is a .38 SPL, maybe it's time that someone mentioned reloading....
I'll second that! It does not get any simpler than a straight walled pistol case, and the price of .38 special is outrageous!

Factory ammo is around $14-$16 for a box of 50.....

125 gr Plated bullets from Berry's are less than 10 cents a pop, primers 3 or 4 cents, cases are free if you pick them up, will last near forever (.38 is a low pressure round) and you are unlikely to lose them (revolvers are great that way)..... powder ...... 7000 grains to a pound, 5-7 grains/shot ..... call it 7 to make the math easy ...... 2 cents for powder.......

$.16 a pop. $8 a box..... saving ..... call it $7/box.

Lee Anniversary kit and dies, $125 .........pays for itself in 18 boxes of shells.

How long does it take you to shoot 18 boxes of shells?

http://nefirearm.com/
Old October 13, 2011, 04:58 PM   #28
Vividia

Excellent pickup!

Model 10 is one of those classics everyone should own at least once, and really should keep forever and hand down to the kids/grandkids, etc.

It will last forever.

Revolvers are art more than they are tools
Old October 13, 2011, 08:00 PM   #29
Buzzcook

Shoot that gun a lot. Take some lessons get into competition.

imho the Model 10 is the prototypical double action revolver.

$400 is a bit high compared to the bargain basement. But it's not out of line for a fairly modern -9.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:39 AM   #30
2damnold4this

Nice revolver!
Old October 14, 2011, 12:00 PM   #31
Paladin7

You did fine...price was a little high, but you will get many, many years of enjoyment out of that Model 10...it is a classic in every sense of the word.

Definitely get into reloading and you will save a lot of money and craft more accurate ammunition tuned to your individual gun.

I'm currently loading 4.2 gr of Unique under a 158gr LSWC bullet in Starline Cases and CCI Primer. Very accurate load for me...

Consider also that your Model 10 makes a great field revolver for small game and plinking...

I love the way the pencil barrel model 10's balance...

Tags
.38 special , first gun , smith and wesson