The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 9, 2011, 03:34 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

"Speedloader" for the 5 shot 38spl/357 Ruger LCR

Recently purchased a Ruger 357 LCR . . .

I have "speed strips" . . . .

Does HKS make a "speedloader" that works for the LCR - 5 shot - 38spl/357?

I've been searching but haven't had a whole lot of luck - if they do, can someone give me the part number/model number to look for and a source?

Also, if you have the LCR and use a HKS "speedloader" - does it work O.K. - any interferance with the frame, etc. when dropping in a set of cartridges?

Thanks for any help/info - much appreciated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 9, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
03clyde

I recently sold an LCR and it included 2 HKS speed loaders and nylon twin pouch. I originally bought them all, used, so I can't reference the source of the speed loaders but only to say that they're out there. The gun had the smooth boot grip (without finger cut outs) and the speed loader cleared it easily - can't vouch for the other style of grips.
Old October 9, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
shootniron

Here ya go...
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/HKS225-1.html

Normally if you have problems with a speedloader that is made for a particular revolver, the grip design will be the culprit.
Old October 9, 2011, 05:16 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Thanks fellas - that was a BIG help! My LCR has the standard grips with the finger grooves - I never gave any thought to the grips causing a problem but it doesn't look like they will.

I also appreciate the link. I just ordered 2 speedloaders and the 2 pouch nylon holder. From a couple of the reviews I read on the speedloader - the posters had LCRs and they worked fine. I purchased the LCR for CC when I'm here in the winter in AZ. I do custom leatherwork so if these work OK, I'll be making a matched set of leather for the pistol - holster & speedloader holder.

Many thanks again - your help is greatly appreciated!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 9, 2011, 06:37 PM   #5
WANT A LCR 22LR

I use a HKS 36 for my LCR 38 ( they are also sold to fit a J frame SW I think ) . The early LCR grips were not clearanced for the loader to work very well. The later ones have a thinned area about where your thumb would rest. ( it is hard plastic )

In use, just get the tips of the bullets started with the loader at a bit of a angle, hold the cylinder, the turn the release. Be sure not to fully insert the bullets or get the loader jammed against the grip. What you are looking is more of a drop them from the loader than a fully insert them while still in the loader.

I have not tried these on my 357 LCR.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Webleymkv

In my experience, HKS speedloaders generally hold the cartridges loosely enough that they will work with several models with similarly sized cylinders.

For example, HKS speedloaders for a .38/.357 S&W K-Frame would work fine in the Colt Cobra that I used to own (though HKS makes speedloaders specifically for Colt D-Frames). Maxfire speedloaders, however, did not fit the Colt as well though they would still work in a pinch and Safariland Comp II's wouldn't work at all.

It would not surprise me if HKS speedloaders made for S&W J-Frames worked well with the LCR but "tighter" speedloaders like those from Safariland did not.
Old October 10, 2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Walklightly

I don't see why the HKS 5 shot wouldn't work, it works for my Ruger SP101 and my j-frames, also my buddies Taurus 605.
Old October 12, 2011, 08:53 AM   #8
MK11

Both grip and cylinder shape make the LCR chancy with speedloaders. The HKS will work with both old and new style LCRs, although you have to jiggle it. Safariland is out.

A company called 5 Star makes speedloaders specifically for the LCR. Pricey, but apparently well made. www.5starfirearms.com
Old October 12, 2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Glockfan36

Here's another idea:

Get some Bianchi Speed Strips or Tuff Products QuickStrips and use a holster with the built-in mag pouch to hold a strip. However, YMMV.
Old October 12, 2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Glockfan36

I forgot to add, HKS Speedloaders don't work well with aftermarket grips on the LCR. Five-Star makes a model that purports to work with CTC or Hogue Boot Grip LCRs.
Old October 12, 2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Deaf Smith

How about just another 5 shot 38spl/357 Ruger LCR!

The NY reload is about as fast as you can reload a revolver!

Deaf