The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 22, 2011, 02:02 AM   #51
Delmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatofeo
Been shooting cap and ball revolvers for about 40 years.
I would not buy a brass frame. Not only are they less resistant to higher pressures, brass-framed revolvers tend to be less better made.
Their fit and finish is often not as good as the steel-framed guns. It's as though the factories don't put the work into brass-framed guns, and that's why they're sold at a cheaper price.
Spend a little extra money and get a steel-framed gun...
If I were only going to own one cap and ball gun ever it would be a steel frame Remi but a lot of people just plain like the brassers! My damaged Uberti 51 took some effort to get going but I got it for free and it has turned out to be a fun gun.
Old October 22, 2011, 02:21 AM   #52
dlbarr

Thanks Delmar for the explanation. Appreciate it.
Old October 22, 2011, 05:00 PM   #53
ZVP

One BP revolver?

I'd have to go with a 5 1/2" Stainless '58 Remington! I feel that the Stainless Steel is a better base metal to make Revolvers from.
My personal carry gun is a .357 Magnum, 4 5/8", Stainless, New Vaquero. It has the most power available in this short revolver and affords the ability of shooting .38Special Ammo for pratice and/or actual Social Work. The high end .38 Special is a proven manstopper through decades of Police work.
However for BP use, the Remington design has few Cap misfires/failures and the closed frame seems to keep Cap fragments from falling into the action! You can count on heavy loading the Remington cylinders and not experiencing problems.
I would advise the use of a round ball for your bullet of choice as they are really accurate and pack a good whollop to boot!
The stainless prevents rust and stains and will make clean-up less of a chore.
Besides they are shiney!!!
ZVP
Old November 11, 2011, 12:06 AM   #54
dlbarr

OK, well I'm set up for awhile now....

So I bought a brass-framed Pietta '58 Remington with an extra cylinder on gunbroker. The seller offered me a companion to it after the sale so I have the Rem and a brass '51 Navy which was NIB. Both in .44 and he sent along a BUNCH of extras: 4 tins of caps, 4 boxes of .454s, a brass flask (with BP in it), cleaning patches. I probably shouldn't say what I paid for this - it will only make you mad. I got a real deal it seems to me. (didn't even have to pay shipping) Needless to say the seller was very generous.

Now it's off to the range to see how these shoot for me.

Last edited by dlbarr; November 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:23 AM   #55
zullo74

Did your seller ship the flask (with BP in it) as Haz Mat? If not, a federal law was broken, I think.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:32 AM   #56
dlbarr

Well...no, it was not shipped hazmat. So what you say is probably correct. But I want it understood that I had nothing to do with that - I was just an innocent recipient.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:36 AM   #57
zullo74

I realized you had nothing to do with it. I was just curious. Sounds like you lucked out and got a really good deal!
Old November 13, 2011, 10:40 AM   #58
Rawg the Huug

I nerdily bought a pair of 12" barreled '51 Pietta Navies from EMF, switched the brass frames to steel, installed square-backed trigger guards & had Elen Hunting carve up one-piece stag grips. Gonna have 'em converted soon (was gonna do it myself, but Kirst Konverters are not what I'd hoped they'd be) as I can afford it.

I've also got a pair of Uberti 2nd Model Dragoons & a handful of other 51's & 61's, all Piettas. BP is a filthy load of fun, though having to step to the side to see around the smoke if I hit my target becomes tedious. I practice at a distance of at least 25 yards & don't have steel to ring my answer back at me.

From time to time I carry a black powder revolver because it's better to have a gun & not need one than to need a gun & not have one. You may sneer at my choice, but it sure beats relying on The James Brown Car Alarm.