The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2011, 05:43 PM   #1
dc88

Colt 22 Target model

Hey yall

I have a colt 22 target model and want to buy some new mags for it.

However, after lookin online some, I haven't been able to find any and read that the mags are hard to come by now a days.
Do any of yall have any idea where I can find some, and how much they would run?

This is a link to a picture of what my colt looks like, mine also only has the 4" barrel, not the 6" like in the picture. Its NOT my gun though
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Colt_.22_Target_Model
Old October 8, 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
James K
Staff

Colt didn't make that gun for very long, so factory Colt magazines might be hard to get. They are listed by www.gunpartscorp.com but their mags are often repros.

That gun started out as the High Standard Duramatic, then Colt picked it up and made it for a while, then Beretta gave it a try as the U22 Neos. I don't know if the similarities of the guns extended to interchangeable magazines.

Jim
Old October 8, 2011, 06:18 PM   #3
dc88

It doesn't have to be a factory colt mag, just something that fits.
I should have mentioned that.

As far as that website you recommended, all I can say is ...wow.
That site is amazing, looks like it has anything you would possibly need.

I found the mags on there for 26.90. A little on the high side of what I expected to pay, but I can deal with it.

Thanks a ton for the website recommendation, I'll find myself on there a bit.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
James K
Staff

The problem with after-market magazines is that they often are inferior to factory magazines and sometimes don't work. If you get good mags, it doesn't matter whose name is on them.

Jim
Old October 8, 2011, 06:49 PM   #5
dc88

I will keep that in mind, will look for factory first.

Do you happen to know anything about this gun?
All I really know about it is the model and that it wasn't in production to long.
Old October 8, 2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Stonefly_Soldier

cdnnsports.com almost always has some in stock... they are listed under colt cadet
Old October 8, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
dc88

I saw those there, but wasn't too sure if they were the same so just figured they wernt.

I should have asked about those.
Old October 9, 2011, 02:28 AM   #8
Stonefly_Soldier

the colt 22 pistol and the cadet are the same. they had to change the name due to some copyright infringement
Old October 9, 2011, 02:43 AM   #9
gyvel

Colt "Cadet" and the third generation Woodsman magazines are the same with the exception of the height of the follower button. I haven't examined a beretta NEOS mag up close, but they sure look identical in the photos.
Old October 9, 2011, 11:11 AM   #10
dc88

Good to know that the cadet is the same, now I know to look out for that one too
Old October 10, 2011, 05:40 PM   #11
1/2 cocked

Beretta Neos mags. fit and work perfectly.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Dragonheart2

I know this was an old post, but I too have been looking for magazines for my Colt Target 22. After talking with a Colt rep, I was told the magazines for this handgun are unique and other Colt magazines like the Cadet, Woodsman, etc. DO NOT FIT. I personally tried a Cadet and although it looks similar it doesn't work. However, the good news is there is a work around. The Beretta Neos 22 magazines are almost identical to the Colt Target 22 magazines with the exception of the feed lips and a slightly extended plastic base. The feed lip on the Neos has a slight forward bulge and left unaltered the magazine will not work without jambing. Using some electrical nippers to squeeze out the bulge and needle nose pliers to align the lips I was able to adjust the Neos magazine in a couple of minutes. It now functions flawlessly in my Colt Target. The Neos magazines can be had for about $20 each. I ordered several from Midway, but they are easy to find.