The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 6, 2011, 09:03 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Most private employers ban employees from carrying weapons.
Which is why I never carry a weapon at work...

I just carry my Buck 110 in either a case or back pocket...
Brent
Old October 6, 2011, 09:09 PM   #27
BGutzman

I am not a lawyer but for whatever it might be worth you might look at it from a "hostile environment" point of view that would have some teeth especially if other employees have similar videos on you tube that violate policy and you are the only one being singled out.

I would also (me being me) get a poster of the constitution and mail it to the boss along with my resignation, but thats just me and I dont recommend that for anyone but myself.
Old October 6, 2011, 09:12 PM   #28
KyJim

Please also disregard the "advise" to publicly trash your employer. It's a good way to get fired "for cause" with a loss of unemployment benefits.

Like others, I think this is a good illustration why we should be careful about our Internet persona. I would never, ever post about the firearms I own using my real name or other information by which I could be readily identified (like a photo).
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old October 6, 2011, 09:20 PM   #29
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I would also (me being me) get a poster of the constitution and mail it to the boss along with my resignation, but thats just me and I dont recommend that for anyone but myself.
In this job market, that could have very real repercussions on his (and his family's) livelihood. There are times to make a stand, and there are times to take one's lumps. I think this case is the latter.

I concur on not mentioning the employer in any of the social media, particularly if there's anything that can identify you. The internet isn't as anonymous as people think. I once had an employee "friend" me, and when I checked his site, I was quite dismayed about what it revealed about his character.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:01 PM   #30
Crazy88Fingers

My take on everything...

You willingly cooperated, and it doesn't seem like anyone physically searched you.

I don't know how it works in your state, but an employer/security guard can't physically search you without consent in Florida. They can terminate you, however, if you already signed a waiver agreeing to searches.

It also doesn't seem like they had any probable cause to search you. Owning firearms is not a crime. So unless you made threats or displayed dangerous behavior in your YouTube videos, even a uniformed officer wouldn't have had grounds to search you if they called one in. At least that's my opinion.

But you seemingly went along with it, so I don't think you have any legal case. Next time, tell them to mind their own business.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:39 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Were your Consitutional rights violated? No. Were your civil rights violated? No. Because you voluntarily work there, and you consented to their search. Your rights cannot be violated if you consent. You gave them permission.

They have a reasonable concern. I think they acted a bit over the top, but they do have a valid concen. You posted videos of you and your guns (several, apparently) for all the world to see.

Some of the deranged people who have gone on shooting rampages have done the same thing.

Now that they have checked you out, and found out you are "harmless", they should do, and say nothing more about it. If they do (and especially if they say they are doing it because of some employee's worry/concern, THEN you need to talk with your union steward/HR rep, and a lawyer, as you may have grounds for a "hostile work environment" suit.

At this time, you have squat for a lawsuit. Sure, its offensive, and you were just showing off your guns, that you are proud of, but they don't know that. All they know is that your reported behavior matches that of known threat profiles.

Most companies have "no weapons" clauses in the employee handbooks. And, most of the time, a pocket knife is not considered a weapon, or is ignored. BUT, its in there, and they can enforce it, and be within the law doing so.

think of it like this, if you go "postal" and gun down 23 fellow employees with an office stapler, they are responsible, and will get sued. You have (OMG) GUNS!!!!! Of course they are going to be paranoid. And the fact that some other scaredy cat reported it to management makes them TOTALLY responsible, if they do nothing. Its a sad world these days.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:57 PM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Some of the deranged people who have gone on shooting rampages have done the same thing.
I bet most have not... I also think the vastest of majority of gun video makers are not going to be involved in a shooting rampage...

That is like saying a guy who has many car videos on you tube is going to plow into a crowd of people because a couple instances of such behavior was perpetrated by a guy with similar car videos...

Quote:
They have a reasonable concern. I think they acted a bit over the top, but they do have a valid concen. You posted videos of you and your guns (several, apparently) for all the world to see.
I am shocked to see 44amp say this... There are far too many gun vids on youtube posted by sane, well behaved, legit folks and so few ever posted by nut job who goes on to commit a crime.
IMHO, there is no "reasonable concern" raised by knowing a man has made videos showing his choice of legit hobby/passtime/passion etc...

Now if he was making commentary like that "Timothean" guy... maybe he might raise concern but not because of guns...

If he was snortin' cocaine in the vids... I might see some concern as well...

Brent
Old October 6, 2011, 11:31 PM   #33
zxcvbob

There's one thing good that came out of this -- you learned something about what kind of boss you have. He doesn't trust you; he bullied you and then tried to act like he was doing you a favor. (did you get the knife back or did they steal it?)
Old October 6, 2011, 11:50 PM   #34
HKFan9

Makes me glad I work for a large gun shop... where if me and my co-workers were searched.... there would be a small arsenal lol.

Your rights weren't violated, and I think that is the last you will hear of them. I would however find a new job... and once you do... tell them how you really feel.
Old October 6, 2011, 11:59 PM   #35
kilimanjaro

Someone beat me to it, but the rule is to never post anything, blog, video, email, whatever, into the public view that you would not want to see in court. Like the cops say, anything you say can and will be used against you, in court, at work, so-called friends, it can all come back and bite you one day.
Old October 7, 2011, 02:03 AM   #36
youngunz4life

face the facts...you're his b&*#$. if you fight him(which you won't), you'll most definately lose your job. he had the right due to the knives to get rid of you via company policy in 'black&white'.

kidding on the above part but just let it go. he said he didn't want to lose you.
Old October 7, 2011, 02:55 AM   #37
4V50 Gary
Staff

Violation of constitutional rights generally involves "state action." That is, someone from the government or a government agent violates a constitutionally protected right. Private property, private employers are not part of the state and were not working at behest of the state. So, there is no state action. However, just because one works for a private employer does not mean that they are totally deprived of their rights. The employer may not install a camera in the bathroom or locker room (unless some court pre-approved of it).

OK, anyone interested in continuing this discussion under a hypothetical situation is invited to start a new thread. This thread is being closed at the request of OP.