The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2011, 05:32 AM   #1
Chris84

69gr .223 load ?

I have been through my speer manual like 4 times to make sure I didn't miss it. I have email alliant and not got anything back yet, so I am asking here. I need to know the starting charge and max charge using Reloader 15 powder for..
69gr sierra HPBT Match bullet and CCI no. 41 primer. My manual has nothing for the 69gr bullet in it. Been hearing good stuff about this bullet so really wanting to get out and work up a load for it. But I want some solid info on where to start and where to for sure stop. Thanks guys.
Old October 5, 2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Sport45

I'd start with the starting load for a 68gr HPBT bullet and stop when the accuracy was satisfactory, I saw pressure signs, or hit the max load for that bullet. (Whichever comes first.)

I don't see RL-15 listed on Alliant's sight for the 68gr HPBT. Do you have a RL-15 load for any 68-70gr bullets in your manuals?
Old October 5, 2011, 07:11 AM   #3
CowTowner

Here is a site with info on the 68 grain bullet with RL-15.
THIS IS NOT A MANUFACTURER'S SITE! BE CAREFUL!

http://www.reloadammo.com/223load.htm
Old October 5, 2011, 07:39 AM   #4
jaguarxk120

Try calling Sierra, they have a great help dept.
Old October 5, 2011, 08:16 AM   #5
tom234

+ 1 , Email Sierra and they will promptly send you back a PDF file for all their .223 bullet loads.
Old October 5, 2011, 08:35 AM   #6
UtopiaTexasG19

Here is the Sierra page you need....
http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
Just scroll down to the section with the bullet weight you are re-loading.
Old October 5, 2011, 05:51 PM   #7
flashhole

Thanks for the link.
Old October 5, 2011, 06:11 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I have so far for 69 grain Sierra HPBT Match gotten the best results in my Model 12 LRPV Savage with Varget. Next two would be AA 2015. Next after that is Reloader 15. I have had good results with Varget for 68 grain Hornady HPBT Match bullets also. Though they are a bit longer than the Sierra bullets.

For the Hornady 75 Grain HPBT Match Reloader 15 at Nostler's recomended acuracy load has netted some very impressive groups.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Chris84

Thanks guys
Old October 5, 2011, 09:14 PM   #10
hagar

Start charge would be 24 grains for me, and 25 as max charge, but not with the CCI #41's. These primers are quite hot and I would drop at least 0.5 grains.
Old October 6, 2011, 07:44 AM   #11
sundog

I've been shooting the 69 Sie BTHP for 200 yard reduced course High Power. Loaded over 2230-C and a CCI 41, it will shoot better than I can. Good bullet.
Old October 6, 2011, 08:01 AM   #12
alloy

Reloader 15 and a Sierra 69 Matchking shoots great out of my 1 in 7 twist 16" barrel at 25.3 grains with no flat primers using Federal cases @ 2.262".
Well under an inch might be a hot load near the top of the scale, but it doesn't act like it.
Old October 6, 2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Tim R

WOP recommends 24.0 24.8 grs of Reloder 15 using a Rem 7 1/2 primer for the 69 gr SMK. I used the suggestion in my WOP upper with great results. My rifle liked the 24.8 grs of Reloder 15. Of course this might not work in yours so work it up please.
Old October 7, 2011, 09:40 AM   #14
amamnn

Akkiant has the info posted on their website in the reloader's guide--for EXACTLY this load..............http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...46&bulletid=91

They post MAX load info only, so be careful and start lower..............the fed 205m is a match primer, same as the 205, just inspected more carefully.
Old October 8, 2011, 05:31 AM   #15
Chris84

AMAMNN, I saw that on Alliants site to but it is not EXACTLY the same sine they are using a federal primer and I am using CCI's. Also I knew I could just go a couple of grains below that 25.5gr and start my way up but still not what I was looking for I wanted a published starting load.

I had an email this morning, finally from Alliant and I am glad that I didn't go with that max cause in the email I was told the min was 23.5 and the max was jusr 25 not the 25.5 that is on the website. I am going to believe that is becuase of how hot the CCI no 41 in compared to the Federal primer that they used.
Old October 8, 2011, 05:50 AM   #16
darkgael

Lazy

Lazy shooter here. I use 24 grs of Reloader 15 for all bullets 69 -77 grs.
Winchester factory primed brass. Mostly, I use the Sierra 77s; the 69s shoot well for practice.
Pete
Old October 8, 2011, 06:34 AM   #17
alloy

Here's Sierra's AR15 load data direct from the manual.
Oddly, RL-15 tracks grain for grain right along with Varget and thier accuracy load worked out to be the mirror of what I use.

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf
Old October 8, 2011, 09:04 AM   #18
m&p45acp10+1

I am going to do some testing with 75 Grain Hornady HPBT Match bullets, and Reloader 15 using Federal Gold Medal Match primers, with Federal Brass today. I am killing a bit of time before the range opens. I will give you guys the results when I get home. I was tesiting last week for sweet spot in COL for my 1 in 9 24 inch Savage Model 12, now to go for charge weight.

Oh and I typicaly like to find at least 3 powders that give me good results wth a wide spectrum of bullet weights in my rifles. Kind of a just incase measure in the event I run out of my prefered powder, and have to use something else I already have back up load worked out.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:36 AM   #19
amamnn

And for other beginners who might read the thread:

When you see a particular primer or bullet posted on a website or in a manual it is for reference only. The publisher has been around long enough to know that we don't all have every primer or bullet or case on hand. Probably, the publisher should refer to that fact on every page especially on the internet, but most, if not all DO recommend starting low and working up for that reason, among others. Some do actually mention this in connection with component substitution elsewhere in the manual, which is a good reason to buy one and actually read pages other than just the specific load one is wanting. In this case, the original poster, had he done so, would have seen signs of incipient high pressure before going over the max load, we assume.