The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2011, 03:26 PM   #1
studman5578

Gap under sprue plate on lee mold

So on both of my lee molds, a 125 gr 9mm and a 200 gr swc, there are starting to be little flanges on the base of the bullets caused by what I suspect is a gap in the sprue and the top of the mold. Has anybody overcame this problem with some ingenious fix? I tried simply tightening the bolt at the pivot of the plate because that is the primary place of formation for the extra lead. I've put about 4,000 between each of the molds. Thanks!
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old September 23, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2
floydster

I had the same problem with my Lee two cavity molds.
I removed the spure plate and cleaned the top of the mold real good and the underside of the spure plate also, put it back together and now when I open the spure plate I make sure I push down on it---seems to work ok.
I used 600 grit paper and a very flat surface to clean the top of the mold and the underside of the spure plate.
Old September 25, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
studman5578

Ok thanks! I'll give that a try this week and test it out on Tuesday.
Rev 5:13 "To him who sits on the throne and the Lamb be praise honor and glory and power, for ever and ever"
Old September 26, 2011, 08:40 AM   #4
floydster

stud, let us know how this worked out for you.
Thanks,Floyd
Old September 26, 2011, 11:26 PM   #5
chris in va

My 358-125-RF developed a severe gap on the outside hole due to rounding of the mold corner where the plate swings open.

Called Lee, they said to send it back and they'd send another mold for half price.

Not to be deterred, I clamped the sprue plate in a vise and bent it in slightly at the bolt hole. Now it works beautifully. Last session was 800 boolits and only two throwbacks, mainly due to a cool mold.
Old October 5, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
studman5578

Solution

So i think I found a solution to the problem. It was a pretty easy solution and it doesn't take much effort. First I took some 320 grit sand paper and sanded a nice smooth surface on the mold face. I used something long and firm with a straight sharp edge so that I don't remove the corners on the inside of the mold.

The second thing I did (the more important part I think) was take another mold I had (another lee, but because I only have 2 sets of handles, I don't use it at the same time as my other two) and removed the spring washers from it. There is one on the sprue pivot screw as well as on the locking nut for the sprue. What I found to be the problem was that the spring washer that was in the mold lost its elasticity and wasn't applying enough pressure to the sprue plate to actually push the seal around the base of the bullet.

I took the spring washer I removed and doubled it up on the pivot of the sprue plate.

I was having 2 of every 3 bullets have some major flanges of lead on it but after doing what i described above, I had about 10 from over a thousand.