The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 3, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Dikran Yacoubian

SP-101 .22 -- action job recommendations

I picked up a new SP101 in .22lr this weekend, and it is in desperate need of an action job.

Anybody have a recommendation on a good gunsmith to use for Ruger revolver work? And although I appreciate all good advice, I'm really not interesting in working on it myself.

Thanks,

-- Dikran Yacoubian
Old October 3, 2011, 10:26 PM   #2
wmeSha

Can you dry fire?

It's not totally unrelated, since people sometimes dry fire to smooth up an action. But mostly I'm curious. I read the manual online, and it seems to suggest that this revolver can be dry fired, but often that's sort of a no-no with rimfires.

Can the new SP101 .22lr pistols be dry fired? Just load it with fired shells to be safe?
Old October 3, 2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Ashlander

I had a Ruger SP-101 in .357. I just went to the Brownells or Midway website and ordered a Wolf (Woolf??) spring set for it. It lightened the factory 14 pound pull to 12 (with options of 11, 10, or 9 included in the kit). Cost maybe $20 or so. Very easy to install -- and if it solves your problem you save the time and expense of takling it to a smith.
Old October 3, 2011, 10:51 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

It might help (for local recommendations), if you state what area you live in.

That aside... Take it apart. Clean it. Lube it. Reassemble it.
Dry fire about 1,000 times.
Disassemble. Clean. Lube. Reassemble. See if you still desire the tune-up.
Old October 4, 2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Niner4Tango

I hear you. I bought one of the first model SP 101s in 22 LR and the out-of-the-box trigger was heavy with a bit of clunk as the cylinder went 'round. Clark Custom Guns and Gemini Customs are a couple of the high profile SP 101 gunsmiths and sure that their work is excellent, though I personally have no experience with either. Some day, maybe. There are probably good smiths close to you, too; the SP 101 is a pretty common revolver.

What I did: ran a few hundred rounds through the factory setup. Used light oil during this break in, RemOil is good. Then I picked up the Wolff spring pack with 9, 10 and 12 lb springs along with a lighter trigger return spring. The 10 lb mainspring with the factory return spring is the best for me. The 9 lb main spring gave some light strikes and the light return spring made trigger reset too sluggish for rapid fire. It is very nice to shoot now, I love it.

Midway USA has the spring pack. They have .22 snaps caps too, which I would use for dry fire.
Old October 4, 2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Mosin44az

Do you live anywhere near Phoenix? Nelson Ford works on SPs, and I have seen him with a .22 SP in his shop. Very experienced, does excellent work, he's done maybe a dozen guns for me including a couple of SPs.

Google "Gunsmith Nelson Ford" and you should find his site. Contact him to ask whatever questions you may have. People might ship stuff to him but he gets alot of business in the Phoenix area.
Old October 4, 2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Walklightly

We'll see.
Old October 4, 2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Teuthis

Just my opinion but I have never had a revolver that I felt "needed" as trigger job. It is just a matter of getting the feel for the trigger. I do not like to lighten triggers or "smooth" them, other than to shoot them and break them in. The Ruger triggers on all of my more recent revolvers have been excellent. Lightening a trigger means to me that there is alway a risk of misfire. In a pure target revolver that doesn't really matter. But in a self defense or field gun that is a lot different. I never bother with triggers; I just learn to use them.
Old October 5, 2011, 12:44 AM   #9
5whiskey

I would honestly look into replacing with a slightly lighter spring, dry firing, cleaning and lubing, and dry firing some more before I paid a smith. That's just me.

If you do insist on taking it to a gunsmith, ruger revolvers are very forgiving and most semi-competent gunsmiths can do a decent job. It also shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old October 5, 2011, 06:28 AM   #10
.wheelgunner.

As relatively inexpensive as 22 ammo is, you should be shooting the heck out of that gun before you think about an action job.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

I'd fire the hell out of it before I had an action job done. I own a .357 SP101 and after dry firing it several hundred times, the action really smoothed out. Typically dry firing a .22lr is a bad idea so you might as well put some loads down range and see if it the action smooths out for you.
Old October 5, 2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Teuthis

Frist, ask yourself why you think it needs an action job. Could it just be your unfamiliarity with the firearm? Why would Ruger produce such an in competent trigger? I have found that once I shoot a firearm enough, the trigger is just fine. I have a number of Ruger firearms and not one of them "need"s a trigger job.

Remember, when you are hunting, or shooting for self defense, you are much stronger than when you are plinking at targets.
Old October 6, 2011, 11:48 PM   #13
Dikran Yacoubian

Thanks for all the advice -- I guess I'll just send it to Clark and wait...

I'll try and answer a few of the questions posed.

>>Frist, ask yourself why you think it needs an action job.<<

Because this particular revolver should be pictured in the gun dictionary by the words "stack" and "creep." If it was just rough, I'd shoot through it. But with a double action pull this heavy, I think my finger would fall off before I saw much improvement.

>>Could it just be your unfamiliarity with the firearm?<<

No, I have plenty of SP101s and GP100s - none of them needed work. Only other Ruger wheelgun I've had an action job done on was a super redhawk.

>>Why would Ruger produce such an in competent trigger?<<

No idea. Not sure why Smith shipped a single .380 sigma. Or why Freedom Group would ship a Marlin 1895 that won't chamber a round -- but I got one of each...

Ruger makes some very fine products, and the vast majority of them have no issues. But this particular trigger is horrid.

-- Dikran Yacoubian

Tags
22 revolver , gunsmith , ruger sp101 , trigger work