The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 4, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
hircus

Help to ID old .22 please.

Hi folks,

Inherited a single shot .22 recently, but having trouble finding out what it is and where to get parts for it.

I am pretty sure this is just a mass produced/no name rifle, with the only writing on the barrel being - HNC Joosten, Hamburg Model 29D -. Mr Joosten I think was probably just an importer of goods into New Zealand some time ago (doesn't exist now) - similar to Sears in the USA? I realise the shelf value of this rifle would be next to nothing, but the sentimental side is great, so looking to get it back up to scratch is possible (others have had a go as you can see in photos).

It appears the back of the bolt needs to be pulled backward to cock the pin, it will not cock on just closing the bolt. I know there is a extractor/ejector bit missing, I can remember seeing it years ago - and would like to try and track down a possible replacement (any suggestions?).

From the internet, I think the stock looks more like a FN/Pieper/Baynard but I am not sure. The only markings on the stock are FEB 1962 scracthed in behind the butt plate, but am almost certain this is a personal rather than factory touch.

Hopefully someone out there can identify the actual model this rifle is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020233a.jpg (233.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg P1020236a.jpg (242.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg P1020238a.jpg (242.6 KB, 106 views)
Old March 5, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
SDC

The crowned N is a German proofmark, and HNC Joosten was a manufacturer based in Hamburg, but they likely went out of business in the 1920s or 30s, so it looks like you'd have to hand-make any replacement parts. I wish I had some better news for you.
Old March 5, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
PetahW

It looks a lot like this GECO (Germany), so-named because GECO arms were marketed since 1877 by the catalog (GECO) owned by Gustav Genschow & Co, Hamburg.

AFAIK, those rifles were sold in the 1930's

Old March 6, 2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Mr_Raw

I want to say it's a Cooey Canuck, but don't old me to that just yet. The bolt style and cocking method are that of Cooey.

If you could post some more photo's, such as the top of the receiver, the trigger, the bolt it would be appreciated.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:19 AM   #5
hircus

Thank you very much folks for your feedback so far, most appreciated. A few more photos attached of bolt and receiver and trigger to see if that narrows it down. Found HNC Joosten still actually exists in Hamburg, and they are importers/exporters, so have sent them the details and am awaiting reply - see what happens. Any more info out there would be greatfully received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020239a.jpg (235.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg P1020242a.jpg (236.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg P1020240a.jpg (238.5 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by hircus; March 6, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:34 AM   #6
hircus

Trigger photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020234a.jpg (157.2 KB, 61 views)
Old March 6, 2012, 01:11 PM   #7
PetahW

[If you could post some more photo's, such as the top of the receiver]

Close-up, pls.

Old March 6, 2012, 03:34 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I did a Google and turned up this:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...--10--1----0--

Could there really be two H.N.C. Joostens around? In any case, the paper is an interesting look at days gone by in NZ. In case you need more eddikayshun, Hakihea is Maori for December.

Jim
Old March 6, 2012, 06:28 PM   #9
hircus

Thanks folks, a couple photos of receiver top (hopefully they are what you are after. There are no markings any where on receiver (been over everything with magnifying glass) - except for a crown over N on R/H side of breech.

The receiver certainly looks closest to a GECO so far (thanks PetahW), but the bolt looks closest to a Cooey (thanks Mr_Raw) - but looking through alot of photos on the web there is not much difference between makes and models around this era of single shots.

I still have not however come across a trigger mechanism that even colsely resembles the straight single plate this one has. The rear sight is also a bit of an anomoly (Sp?) - is there a comb piece missing from this?

There could well be 2 Mr Joostens, Jim. Also found this little article:

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/te...dy1-d7-d6.html

Metzger, V. And Company (Victor Metzger and Henry Joosten), Importers of Oil Engines, Dynamos, and Batteries, Gore Street, Bluff. This busineess was established in 1899, and is conducted at the engineering establishment of Mr V. Metzjer.

and this is the current info from HNC Joosten in Hamburg today (via google translate):

http://web2.cylex.de/firma-home/henr...h-5463286.html

Machinery and equipment exporters, toy exporters, optics, toys, export, metal and metal goods wholesale, tools exporters trade, wholesale trade, mechanics, exporters, iron machining, sheet metal and metal goods exporters, export counseling, sheet metal and metal goods, watches and jewelery, export and import, importers, tools, flowers, bristles and animal hair exporters, metal products, iron working, iron, iron wholesaler tires exporters, machinery and equipment, flower importer, flower exporters, precision engineering and optics-exporters, sales, metal goods, buy metal, bristles and animal hair, import, exporters and importers, watches and jewelery exporters, tires, import, Export, Foreign Trade, export Agency, bed springs and down, bed springs and down-exporters, tools, game merchandise

I don't know but my simple take on it is just putting these 2 together they may be the same company?? I really don't know though.

Thanking you all very much again for your time and patience.

Top of receiver photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020243a.jpg (229.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P1020244a.jpg (238.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg P1020245a.jpg (227.3 KB, 293 views)
Old March 6, 2012, 09:46 PM   #10
PetahW

What a shame - I was hoping there'd be at least a trace of a maker's mark atop the front receiver ring.

FWIW, This is the money pic

Old March 9, 2012, 12:20 AM   #11
Mr_Raw

Victory, I suspect...

LOL, so anyways after much searching and aggravation my 90 year old gunsmith tells me it's a Gewehrfabrik, Danzig model 2, a pre ww1 German training rifle. I hope this helps
Old March 9, 2012, 07:03 AM   #12
gyvel

Google turned up this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danzig.jpg (22.8 KB, 53 views)