The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Lefebvre

Lightweight 22 for Bullseye Shooting

Hello,

I have recently taken a Bullseye Shooting course, and joined the League. I am really enjoying firing my Walther P22. However, it is jamming an awful lot. The experienced shooters think it has to do with my grip and stance. I have arthritis, and bilateral wrist fusions. The P22 was perfect, except the barrel is not long enough, and the jamming issue. Because of my fused wrist, I have to fire with my elbow bent, which absorbs some of the recoil, causing shells to partially eject, or the next round not to load.

I tried borrowing a League pistol, a Smith & Wesson 22A, and had no other misfires or problems, other than it's heavy for me to hold up. I really need the light weight, like the P22. Also, I need to be able to rack the slide. Any suggestions for me would be appreciated! Kim
Old September 25, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
tom234

Take a look at the Ruger 22/45 line. They are lighter than the MKIII series but shoot just as well. Lots of after market support for both the 22/45 and MKIII.
Old September 25, 2011, 09:23 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

Ruger 22/45 with the pac-lite barrel would be the lightest.
Use high velocity ammo with this lighter gun and you should have more reliable feeding.

Hammerli is making the Trailside pistol again, as the Exesse.
It is very light, but won't handle the high velocity loads.

Ditch the Walther, it is not accurate enough for bullseys, nor the smith 22A.

Tags
22 caliber , bullseye pistol , lightweight , pistol