The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 24, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
roc1

Winchester model 70 Recoil

I have a new model 70 in 30-06 featherweight that kicks like a mule. It has a good pad and even with my light reloads it kicks a lot worse than my old Ruger 06 or a Remington 30-06 and a Remington 270 with a synthetic stock. What can I do other than get rid of it?
Thanks
roc1
Old September 24, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2
warbirdlover

Put a limb saver recoil pad on it. It tamed my .300 Win Mag.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Dave R

Buy factory ammo with lighter bullets (150gr. or 130gr.) or handload lighter loads.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:29 PM   #4
TXGunNut

PAST recoil pads help when shooting any centerfire rifle over about .243 on a bench. May also help to fire from a slightly more upright position.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:43 PM   #5
roc1

I use the past pad and I loaded 110 grain bullets and it stills kicks hard. It feels a lot worse than my other rifles . It has the Pachmeyer pad on it which is a good one.
roc1
Old September 24, 2011, 08:46 PM   #6
TX Hunter

Trade it back in for a Standard Weight Model 70, The Featherweight will kick harder because its lighter. Everything is give and take, give up weight, take more recoil. Good luck
Old September 24, 2011, 09:14 PM   #7
codyb1991

I have a Winchester 670 in .30-06, like you said, kicks like a mule. What I did helps manage the recoil if you're out target shooting, fold up a hand towel into about 3 or 4 layers and put over your shoulder. If you're out hunting, then screw it just take your shot
Old September 24, 2011, 09:28 PM   #8
rbursek

stock design has a lot to do with it too, a stock the has no drop at the heel feels less recoil since it is in line with the bore and the recoil comes straight back and keeps the muzzle down too, so you do not get just the bitting into your shoulder as much. I have a 6lb #3 Ruger in 45/70, load that to the max with a 500 grain bullet, now you got some recoil with a curved metal butt plate!!!!!!
Old September 24, 2011, 10:29 PM   #9
roc1

I agree with stock design as well. It seems Winchester always kick harder in my experience
Roc1
Old September 24, 2011, 11:27 PM   #10
NWCP

Funny thing about recoil. When getting the rifles and scopes ready to hunt at the range recoil is really noticeable. Seems that when you're putting a round into your favorite meal on four legs the adrenaline and focus of the hunt makes you forget about all of that. You might go through 3 rounds on a hunt when at the gun range you can easily burn a box, or more. The previous posters were right about the weight. A light rifle will be more punishing that a heavier model. It's a trade off.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:51 AM   #11
American Made

"I have a new model 70 in 30-06 featherweight that kicks like a mule."

Some years ago my friend purchased one of those in 7MM Mag. ( I went with for sighting in )After about five rounds I noticed him rubbing his arm and shoulder I ended up sighting his rifle in that day! That thing had me looking for my Parka in the middle of summer. Shooting from the bench with that featherweight sure ain't for the timid.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:58 AM   #12
hooligan1

Roc, just send that sucker to me (it's all I came up with sorry) Get a new stock like a H&S, or Hogue, MacMillian. Maybe that'll tame it a bit.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:17 AM   #13
ligonierbill

I'm surprised nobody suggested a lead sled. I have used one, and they work to absorb recoil. That said, I gave it up because it got in the way and interfered with good form. Good form does help, and I use a little gel pad for heavier rounds (.338 WM). Recoil is measurable, but most of it is perception, and practice and familiarity with the rifle help. Or just get a lighter caliber.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:42 AM   #14
TXGunNut

Featherweight was designed as lightweight hunting rifle. It's enoyable to carry, shooting it from the bench is another story.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 25, 2011, 08:58 AM   #15
kraigwy

I don't know what kind or what its made of but the recoil pad on the New FN Model 70 Featherweight takes a lot of the recoil out.

I have the FN Featherweight in 270 Win which felt recoil is less then my Post -64 Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

You might try and find one of the newer recoil pads and install it.

Now having said, I believe that recoil can be handled by proper position, (the way you hold the rifle).

I have a Standard Weight Model 70 in 375 H&H and have gotten where I can handle that quite well. Shooting from the bench wont cut it, set up straight, keep you head upright and straight, hold the rifle tight, and roll with the recoil would help with any gun.

Another Option. When I use to shoot a lot of Trap and Skeet, I put a Edwards Recoil Reducer in the stock. It worked quite well, in fact it worked too well in my Over and Under Ithica 12 gage, That gun used the recoil of the first barrel to cock the second barrel. The Edwards Recoil Reducer worked so good, it wouldn't allow the second barrel to cock. That wouldnt be a problem in a bolt action rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 25, 2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Skadoosh

Quote:
Trade it back in for a Standard Weight Model 70, The Featherweight will kick harder because its lighter. Everything is give and take, give up weight, take more recoil.
This. While very easy to carry on long and hard hunts, that gun will never be fun to shoot.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:23 AM   #17
roc1

Thanks guys this is the FN gun. I would like to trade for smaller caliber. I got a good deal on this rifle but it kicks to much to enjoy it. I hunt but I love to shoot my rifles on a regular basis as well. My Remington 270 xcr will not kick near as bad and weighs about the same. It has to be in stock design. My oldest son had a 7mm mag in a model 70 that would beat you to death. It was synthetic stock which contributed.
Thanks
Roc1
Old September 25, 2011, 11:27 AM   #18
American Made

How much would you sell it for?
Old September 25, 2011, 11:42 AM   #19
FairWarning

I've never encountered a rifle that I though I couldn't carry with ease all day. Compared to the weight one lifts at the gym, they are minor objects.

I have, however, felt guns that kicked more than I like. If I coudln't get around it with a good recoil pad, I'd move on.

A slip on recoil pad solved my lightweight sporter 8mm's kicking with ease.
Old September 25, 2011, 12:45 PM   #20
gunmoney

I have the same exact rifle and it is torture to shoot from a bench. I use a recoil pad when bench shooting but take it off for field use.
Old September 25, 2011, 02:08 PM   #21
jmr40

Quote:
Featherweight was designed as lightweight hunting rifle. It's enoyable to carry, shooting it from the bench is another story.
True 50 years ago, but at 7 lbs. the Winchester Featherweight is a featherweight in name only compared to most rifles today. Put it on some scales and I'll bet it is heavier than the Remingtons you have, about the same as a Ruger in a factory synthetic stock.

Recoil effects different folks differently and it is often more between the ears than anywhere else. While it has the "Featherweight" name stamped on it they are actually a bit on the heavy side compared to most rifles made today. With a scope and mounts you are right at 8 lbs all up. That is about as much as I'd want a hunting rifle to weigh. I cannot explain why you think it kicks's hard. I've several Featherweights as well as several rifles considerably lighter that are quite pleasant to shoot in 30-06 caliber and even larger. The new hi-tech recoil pads make even lightweight magnum rifles tame.
Old September 25, 2011, 02:33 PM   #22
roc1

I understand the weight is 7 lb but I do know recoil and this rifle kicks more than my Remington and my Ruger plain and simple. I think it is the stock personally as the 7 mag model 70 was really bad that my son had
Old September 25, 2011, 02:48 PM   #23
4winds

What is your body shape?

Close your eyes. Draw the rifle. Then think about a few things when you open your eyes.

Does the heel fill the entirety of your shoulder area, or is the bottom tip of the heel in contact with your collar bone area?

Do you crane your neck down to when looking through the scope? Can you hold it more than 30 seconds without feeling sore in this position?

Straightline standard stocks are not the best factor when it comes to reducing recoil, ALOT depends on the fit. I bought an xbolt with the same dimensions stockwise to your featherweight and really loved the gun. It was in 280, so not a punishing round, but it hurt like he11 to shoot the rifle because I have sloping shoulders, a long neck and high cheek bones. This put me into a weatherby style stock with the heel drop around 1 1/2 inches. What a world of difference! Also, raising your rings to skyscraper heights will not help because you won't have a cheekweld and your consistency will suffer.

If the above circumstances apply to you, check out the mcmillan stocks for your model 70, they have models with greater heel drops or other dimensions that might better suit you. Keep that model 70, they are excellent rifles.

Just a thought, best of luck!
Old September 25, 2011, 02:50 PM   #24
RickE

I was just about to search for a new pad for my Mod 70 in .300 Win Mag. I went thru a box last fall, and had major bruising.
Old September 25, 2011, 04:58 PM   #25
modgodcom

Try changing the heel angle

Get in touch with a stock maker, ask him to change the heel angle to help with recoil. As well, if the rake on the stock is positive (the stock is higher at the comb than the heel) youre going to feel alot more recoil because the stock is transferring it directly to your face.

If the stock is wooden, these fixes are easy, and any stockmaker could accomodate. If you want you can get a fiberglass stock and have it properly fitted. A well fitted stock can make almost any rifle feel like a kitten compared to how it kicked before you had it fitted.