The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Bill Calley

Aftermarket 9mm mags for Taurus PT1911?

Does anyone know if all aftermarket 9mm 1911 mags will fit the 9mm Taurus PT-1911?

The reason I ask this is that whenever I find a 9mm 1911 magazine for sale -- even the Wilson Elite Tactical -- it does not state which 9mm 1911 models it fits; so I am assuming that all the 1911 9mm mags out there will fit all 1911 9mm pistols, just like the 1911s in .45ACP …???

Thanks!

-Bill
Old September 22, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
KyJim

Yes, they standard "government" size will fit. You don't want the ones for the Colt New Agent in 9mm.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old September 22, 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
David the Gnome

The 9mm 1911 mags do not interchange quite like the 45acp mags do. There are two ways to make the shorter 9mm cartridge fit inside a gun meant for 45acp, fill in space behind the cartridge or fill space in in front of the cartridge. I bought a bunch of MecGar magazines for my SA Loaded Target 9mm only to find out that they wouldn't work in my gun because the SA used the other type of mags. My RIA 9mm 1911, however, does use that type of magazine and so I ended up being able to use those mags with it instead. If memory serves me correctly, the MecGar (RIA) magazines have the spacer in the back of the magazine and the Springfield magazines have the spacer in the front.

I would suggest looking to see which kind your Taurus takes and then purchasing one magazine for testing. Once you find the magazine that works you can stock up on them and shoot away.

Alternatively you could ask on http://www.taurusarmed.net/ , I'm sure someone there would know.

Edit:

I just went and got the magazines in question. To add to the confusion even more both the factory SA magazines and the aftermarket magazines were made by MecGar. Here are pictures to show the difference.

SA on the right:

SA on the left:

SA on the left:

Last edited by David the Gnome; September 22, 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
plouffedaddy

I run wilson combat ETMs in mine and they work well. They're a little longer but with a magwell it still looks good.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Bill Calley

Thanks guys.

Yes Dave, I noticed that the mag spacer (looks like a plastic insert) is on the rear of the mag on the Taurus PT1911, so thankfully the Mec Gar mags will work. I say "thankfully" because 1). I have already ordered the "Mec-Gar 1911 Magazine 9mm 9 Round Blue", and 2.) They are only $18 each at Cheaper Than Dirt.

As mentioned by plouffedaddy, the Wilson 10 round mags are great (especially for USPSA), but at almost $40 a pop, that is a big no-can-do!

Best Regards,

-Bill

Thanks for the pics, Dave!
Old October 23, 2011, 07:46 AM   #6
tomygun57

Taurus PT1911 for sale

Hi Guys,
Must sell due to financial needs.

Taurus PT1911, Blue, 2 Taurus mags, upgraded Taurus foam insert case, with further customizations;

Front Tridium night sight, Rear adjustable sight, Wilson Combat Stainless bushing, Stainless add-0ns; Ambi thumb safety, Beavertail grip safety, skeleton aluminum trigger with trigger job. Also includes hard-to-get Taurus wood bull logo checkered walnut grips, in addition to Original black grips.

This is a unique beauty with aprox 4 boxes of ball ammo shot through it.
Excellent for either Bullseye match target or concealed carry.

$650 FIRM and FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 US only

Photos to come, serious inquiries only