The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 13, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1
podre3

.22 Long Rifle purchase delay please help? =[

Okay so, i went to Dick's Sporting Goods, on new years eve (a Saturday) and tried to buy a .22 long rifle. I filled out the form and even included my SSN. When they called on me they sayed it was going to be delayed . So i originally figured it was because it was a Saturday and new years eve and new years day right after. But now it is 2 weeks later and Dick's says they are still waiting to hear back.

I am 19 years old, and have a clean record! I haven't even gotten one traffic ticket. Why is this happening?

Just for some background info, i did use to work at an International airport, so i know for that i needed to have a major background check done, and i passed that and had an airport id etc etc. But since then i do not work for that same company.

What is going on here? =[ they are making me feel like a criminal and i have a clean record!
Old January 14, 2012, 12:00 AM   #2
podre3

bump please help guys.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:05 AM   #3
RubenX

Don't know man. I bought 2 rifles recently and went with a friend who bought one too. All 3 calls took less than 5 minutes each. Ask the store to call again?
Old January 14, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4
Jim243

What State do you live in??

Jim
Old January 14, 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
bejay

would probably have them try again also shouldnt take that long to get a response, from what ive read even if its delayed they should of responded with approval or denial within 3 business days.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:09 AM   #6
tahunua001

I bought 2 handguns on the same day on new years eve and I walked out of the store with them. I would go back in and have them recheck, a lot of the "all around" sports shops like garts or dicks don't specialize in guns so a lot of their employees might not be fully trained on the entire process of running a NICS check and some states have required waiting periods which would also interfere with the process.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 14, 2012, 08:19 AM   #7
podre3

Jim, im from NY
Old January 14, 2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

You can't "still" be delayed. Delays are for 3 business days, not counting Saturdays, Sundays, the day of the check or days that are "holidays".

Completing the sale is at the discretion of the dealer if no update is received from ATF after 3 business days.

I would suspect that Dicks has a policy to NOT sell on a delayed transaction but that's just a guess.

Find a local gun store. They might be able to match the price. If not, order it from Buds Gun Shop online (or some other place) and have it shipped to the local guy. (Transfer fees will apply)
Old January 14, 2012, 09:31 AM   #9
podre3

Oh okay. I thought i read about stories where people were delayed 1-2 weeks and then finally got the proceed to sale. Although i did also read that 3 days is usually all it should take. So do you think my paperwork was lost or forgotten about? Or do you think they mistypes my SSN or name or something?
Old January 14, 2012, 09:51 AM   #10
jonnyc

Call them, ask for a manager, ask him what's up.
Old January 14, 2012, 09:55 AM   #11
AH.74

I would agree that the People at Dick's probably dropped the ball.

Call them back and see if they can tell you what's going on. Otherwise, tell them that you'll bring your business elsewhere and then do so as suggested above.
Old January 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #12
podre3

I called them , and the supervisor said that, the still have not heard back from the FBI. I dont know if the guy who orginally called me in, sad my name wrong or social wrong, or mabye the FBI agent typed my name or social in wrong. This is absurd because i have no record at all lol
Old January 14, 2012, 11:14 AM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

If you really want to buy the gun there, I'd try two things... first, I'd ask them to run it again. If they won't, I'd bring in a copy of regulation from the ATF website that says they are clear to sell the gun after 3 business days.

This page here has the ATF answer to delayed transactions.

Chances are, the gun can be had for less money elsewhere. Like I said, talk to a local guy, check Bud's Gun Shop. Dicks is not exactly the premier firearms retailer.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 16, 2012, 03:12 AM   #14
imlistening2it

while were on the topic.

can anyone tell me what forms of ID will be accepted to purchase my first rifle? Im in Northern NY.
Old January 16, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlistening2it View Post
can anyone tell me what forms of ID will be accepted to purchase my first rifle? Im in Northern NY.
Drivers license or state issued ID card.
Old January 16, 2012, 03:40 PM   #16
22-rimfire

Most dealers don't want to fool with you if you don't have a state issued ID.

On the Dicks sale... have you already paid them? That is normal when they run the NICs check?

Quote:
I would suspect that Dicks has a policy to NOT sell on a delayed transaction but that's just a guess.
That would be my guess as well and I would be looking at getting my money back if money has changed hands. You can take the regs with you, but I suspect Dicks just does not want to fool with the sale under the circumstances. I hope that is not the case.
Old January 16, 2012, 04:11 PM   #17
mrawesome22

I'd buy somewhere else. After 3 business days if they haven't heard back, they should, and have every legal right to sell you the gun.

Now they can refuse service to anyone... but it sounds like you are just dealing with bafoons.

Edit: As said above, it could be company policy to not sell until they hear back.
Old January 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #18
mr.t7024

Dicks

I believe like MA, that after 3 days and you do not hear from Dicks. you can pick up the firearm.Cliff
Old January 16, 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
rbursek

First mistake was going to Dicks, the one here is full of idiots, 2 year old gun order catalog, their customer service department is just as bad.
I have been delayed on firearms purchase all the time because of a hyphenated last name, I just go after the 3 day period and pick up my gun all the time at Cabelas.
Passport will work for ID, but then need to show them a proof of address.