The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 12, 2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Todd1700

Decent Bama Buck Game Cam Photo

Old September 12, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Next year, given a good year as far as food/nutrition is concerned, he'll could be a real trophy if you let him walk this year, assuming you have control of access to his range. I'm not good at 'aging' deer but I'd say that could be just his second or third rack, next year and subsequent year or three... a walking case buck fever! Last year he was probably a forkhorn or perhaps even then he was a 4X4, depending on nutrition and genetics. Prime age for antler growth (again, given diet and genetics) is about 4.5 to 7.5 years, a fully physically mature buck will shift more nutrients to antler growth once its body is mature.

Nice pic...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 12, 2011, 03:27 PM   #3
markj

He is possessed look deep into my eyes.....
Old September 12, 2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Todd1700

Quote:
he'll could be a real trophy if you let him walk this year
Oh yeah, I'll definately give him another year. But then it's on.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Win73

Here is another fairly decent Bama buck.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Todd1700

Nice!
Old September 16, 2011, 01:06 AM   #7
bamaranger

yellow oaks

Looks like he's feeding on yellow acorns to me.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Todd1700

Quote:
Looks like he's feeding on yellow acorns to me.
If you love something you have to take care of it. Well at least in the off season. We feed corn and protein pellets in the off season. Helps keep deer on our place and we have really noticed an improvement in antler size.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Win73

Some more Bama bucks

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old September 19, 2011, 11:19 AM   #10
bamaranger

just me

I've never believed in "feeding" deer for a bunch of reasons, some persoanl, some more scientific, but it is legal here in AL. You got some nice photos and a good look at a dandy buck on your place. What you do there, as long as its legal, is your business.

I have had some (well, more than that) experiences with deer feeding turning into deer baiting, of innocent hunters stumbling into areas that were baited unawares, etc, etc.

In my lease, our have outlawed feeding of game for those reasons. We "care" for out lease/game by habitat mods, food plots, thinning, fertilizing etc.

Bow season is just weeks away, good luck.
Old September 19, 2011, 11:48 AM   #11
Todd1700

Never seen any detrimental effects of supplemental feeding on our place. Nothing but positives. I have also spoken to many people in other states where it has been legal to do even during season and they have witnessed no more problems health wise than the states that restrict it. I think state biologists in states where baiting during season is illegal bend over back wards to try and find something negative to say about it. Sort of towing the party line so to speak.

As for this

Quote:
I have had some (well, more than that) experiences with deer feeding turning into deer baiting, of innocent hunters stumbling into areas that were baited unawares, etc, etc.
We stop a little over two weeks prior to season as the law requires if you intend to hunt the area. As for innocent hunters stumbling in we own our land, thousands of acres of it. So even if we did not pull our feeders (which are kept on the interior aspect of our land) anyone stumbling in as you put it would be trespassing by a helluva distance and therefore hardly innocent.

Quote:
We "care" for out lease/game by habitat mods, food plots,
As I said we obey the law and do not hunt over corn. We also plant 14 green patches on our land ever year. But I will tell you honestly I do not see the moral or ethical difference. A green patch is bait artificially placed in a specific location to lure game into shooting range. So is a corn feeder in the states where they are legal during season. Now I obey that law because I don't want the fine, loss of my hunting privileges and possibly my nursing license. (I'm a medical surgical RN). But there is no moral difference and anyone who thinks so is just drinking the kool-aide.
Old September 19, 2011, 04:12 PM   #12
markj

We plant deer stuff in our waterways and along the creeks so they are attracted to them areas. Enough free corn around here so feeding stuff like that just dont work. I have put out "deer apples" before season with good results. So many of em here just toss a rock, you will hit one...

Fog this morning almost run into a nice buck on my motorcycle. Hit one on a 1992 years ago wasnt a fun thing. Only hit 4 this summer with the truck..
Old September 19, 2011, 06:38 PM   #13
Win73

Quote:
I've never believed in "feeding" deer for a bunch of reasons, some persoanl, some more scientific, but it is legal here in AL. You got some nice photos and a good look at a dandy buck on your place. What you do there, as long as its legal, is your business.
I don't know if that was aimed at me, but I didn't say anything about feeding deer in my two posts. I don't have to. There is a soy bean field adjacent to the land I hunt on. The deer are really working it. Also on the land I hunt are oak trees which are already starting to drop acorns. And the deer are eating those also. I do have a couple of salt licks out which the deer frequent.

Old September 19, 2011, 06:51 PM   #14
Win73

By the way, here is a picture of one of my salt licks.

Old September 20, 2011, 02:16 AM   #15
bamaranger

easy

Todd, repeat, what you do on your place, long as its legal, is your business.

Think I touched a nerve.

For me, I'm not hunting deer that have been on feeders.
Old September 20, 2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Todd1700

Quote:
Think I touched a nerve.
Not at all. Just explaining myself since you choose to bring the subject up.

Quote:
For me, I'm not hunting deer that have been on feeders.
To each his own. But do not believe the TV shows where you see huge bucks at feeders in daylight hours. Most of those shows are shot in glorified pens with pen raised semi domesticated deer. We have fed deer on our land for 15 years and kept game cameras out for most of that time. In all those years I have perhaps two pictures of a mature buck visiting a feeder in daylight hours. The purpose of the supplemental feeding is one, to try and keep the deer pulled to the center of our land because we are surrounded by "if it's brown it's down" folks. And two, the pellets we feed in addition to the corn have really helped the average horn size of our deer. Many people who see the deer on my walls do not believe they were killed in our region of Alabama. But trust me, the mature bucks on our land are just as tough to get a glimpse of as any in the state.

Good luck to you and yours.
Old September 20, 2011, 03:48 PM   #17
markj

Quote:
For me, I'm not hunting deer that have been on feeders
How do you tell the diff? in the field that is?
Old September 20, 2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Todd1700

Quote:
Old September 20, 2011, 06:25 PM   #19
Win73

Quote:
Quote:
For me, I'm not hunting deer that have been on feeders

I can't help but ask the same question. I am not trying to be confrontational. I am really curious. I have been a successful deer hunter for the last five years. Even though I have not put out feeders, there is no way I could know whether or not any of the deer I have killed or the many more I have let walk were using feeders put out by someone else on nearby property.

Old September 21, 2011, 12:07 AM   #20
bamaranger

feeders

Think I touched a bunch of nerves.
Old September 21, 2011, 06:31 PM   #21
Win73

Quote:
No, seriously, I am really curious. When a deer walks by your deer stand how do you tell if he has been on feeders or not?

Old September 22, 2011, 07:01 AM   #22
tynimiller

Obviously he can't tell, but that's not his point. Some view feeders as a "cheap trick" to less work, others see it as supplementing feeding...others yet something different. I like how he stated his opinion as just that "HIS OPINION".

If I give my opinion though it'd be a little bit of both...we do supplemental feed in the off season, however we do not feed during the season. Now it's illegal to bait deer with any fashion of a feeder in our state, however even if it wasn't illegal we'd still stop for that time period...as we feel it's an unfair advantage. Besides we work our tails off trying to make our simple 20 acres be a labrynth of secret food plots that a killer on bucks. The feedings is simply a way to catch a glimpse of what bucks survived at the end of a season and then see what is out there in early antler growth stage, as we only feed like 3 or 4 months out of the year.
Old September 22, 2011, 03:29 PM   #23
markj

Quote:

No, seriously, I am really curious. When a deer walks by your deer stand how do you tell if he has been on feeders or not?
Maybe he dont hunt over a feeder? I dont either. I do plant food plots but they dont really need it here. Throw a rock, you will hit a deer drive real fast down any road, you will meet a deer