The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
CWKahrFan

What's The Latest Word on the Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22 Magnum?

The Kel-Tec PMR-30 seems as mythical a bird as the Phoenix. Does anyone know any up-to-date info on it? A google search doesn't bring up anything recent that I can sink my teeth in. The KelTec site doesn't have anything recent. I haven't seen any distributor that has them in stock, though I haven't looked exhaustively.

I know there were some problems... barrel, feeding... and they were doing some redesigning. But currently... What's the deal? Is production suspended again? Is the whole project on hold? Anybody know anything reliable beyond that May 10 2011 update on their site?

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!

Last edited by CWKahrFan; September 21, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old September 21, 2011, 01:39 PM   #2
tulsamal

I read the KelTec forums about it. There was some redesign work. That's all done though and any new model you buy should include it. As you said, the problem is that they are virtually impossible to find. I'm willing to get in a six month line if I know for a fact that I WILL get one in six months but even that seems unlikely.

They are a very small company. Very small. And they keep having good ideas but not expanding into a much larger company. Imagine once the new double feed shotgun is "in production!"

http://www.thektog.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90

You can always buy one on gun broker but you aren't going to get one for anything close to MSRP!

Gregg
Old September 21, 2011, 01:41 PM   #3
chris in va

Going to Knob Creek here in a bit, will see if the store has one. They are some sort of 'premier' FFL that seems to get all the hard to find stuff first.
Old September 21, 2011, 02:02 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Thanks for that link Tulsamal... I spent a few minutes perusing there. Seems that some distributors are leaking them out. One poster said he received one just last week for $380 total out the door. So it seems they are in production.

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old September 21, 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

CDNN has had them for a while. IIRC, they're $299, maybe $349...
Old September 21, 2011, 08:19 PM   #6
tulsamal

No.... they haven't.

They've been in their catalog for a long time. But call them and try to order one. Last time I called them they admitted they had actually handled only a very few and they were having trouble getting any more at all. Their waiting list was hundreds of people long so I didn't bother getting on it.

Gregg
Old February 29, 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Liddy393

mis-fires

Dude on YouTube shot off 3 clips and got 7 mis fires. Wonder what that was all about.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:23 AM   #8
PSP

The first ones had major barrel problems, did they not?
Old February 29, 2012, 01:25 PM   #9
cwok

I wait quite awhile on th PMR-30

I was excited when I read about them.
I didnt' have any specific purpose in mind, except they looked like a lot of fun to shoot.
Now I'm glad they were rare.

Kel-Tec said, on their web page, that they had problems associated with the barrel. As I recall, they said - 'some .22 ammo' had a tendancy to keyhole and they had to change the twist rate on the barrel.
Good: Admitting problems.
Bad: Letting the gun get out the door without testing it enough to find out that factory ammo (apparently CCI) can keyhole.
That is so bad of a BAD I'm going to wait a good long while before buying one so that I can track user comments.
Besides, I'd like a six-inch model even more.
Old February 29, 2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Viper99

Just wait for the much better Ruger SR-22M 30 version.

ps, just joking.
Old February 29, 2012, 09:49 PM   #11
psycho nut

Kel-Tec has a habit of designing cool stuff and than never making enough of them.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:28 AM   #12
mes228

Keltec

CDNN, told me a month or two ago they (or Keltec) had a waiting list of 12,000 waiting for the PMR30. CDNN refused to put me on the wait list. I think it's terrible that Keltec hit a home run with the pistol. And now cannot manufacture them. Crazy really, and I am no Keltec basher, as like the two PF9's I've owned.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Chesster

Sorry but I have a preference for revolvers for my .22 Mag RIMFIRE hand guns. Concept sounds good but I'm skeptical of these autoloaders
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 1, 2012, 12:29 PM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
I think it's terrible that Keltec hit a home run with the pistol. And now cannot manufacture them.
Just relax and wait until next year when the Ruger copy comes out.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:09 PM   #15
tulsamal

Quote:
Sorry but I have a preference for revolvers for my .22 Mag RIMFIRE hand guns. Concept sounds good but I'm skeptical of these autoloaders
The nicest revolver ever made for the .22 WMRF was the S&W M48. I've got a really nice one. K frame. Six inch barrel. Beautiful blue. P&R, of course. Made in 1960 and in great condition. I barely ever shoot it. Why? Because you get one cylinder. That one is a bit tight but they will eject. The second one? You have to just about pound the cylinder rod to get those out. Not even worth trying a third one until you totally clean it.

I've posted on the S&W forum about it. Lots of nodding heads. "Known problem." Nothing you can do about it. Polishing the chambers can actually make it worse. Try different brands of ammo, some are better, some are worse.

.22 WMRF is just tough to make work in a handgun. (Single actions revolvers are the exception!)

A lot of the PMR owners are just as happy as they can be. The trick is just finding one to buy. Lots of them on gunbroker now but they aren't cheap. Cheaper than they used to be but well about MSRP. I guess you can wait a couple of years and complain the whole time or you can pay $150-$200 extra now and enjoy it now!

Gregg
Old March 1, 2012, 06:02 PM   #16
trex1310

How could you design a firearm and then not test the
most popular brand of factory ammo in it? Sounds fishy to me.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old March 1, 2012, 07:04 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
Just relax and wait until next year when the Ruger copy comes out.
Probably not next year, but if the pistol proves viable, and popular, I wouldn't doubt it!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 1, 2012, 07:50 PM   #18
richard597

I was at the right place at the right time in December 2011. I was with a friend who was buying a pistol at Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth . I told the clerk that I really wanted a Kel-Tec PMR30 and he said "wait right there". He went in the backroom and came back with word that one was on a FedEx truck enroute to the store. He would have it in a couple of hours. He said if I would pay for it right then he would call me when it came in. Sure enough he called about three hours later and asked when I wanted to pick up my new gun.

I have fired about 300 rounds without a single problem. Accuracy is as good as my old eyes. This gun has given me no problems and I am ready to go back to the range for more fun.

Good luck on getting yours.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #19
DaveMN

I have one on the way and am very anxious to try it out. I searched for months before finally finding one that wasn't extremely over priced.
Old March 20, 2012, 10:44 PM   #20
TMD

I bought one back in Nov 10'. Put about 5 boxes of ammo through it, all different brands. Mine didn't have the keyholing problem but the best group I could get off a rest was about 4-5" @ 15 yrds. Damn thing couldn't hit water if it fell out of a boat. Another problem was the mags. If you put more than 25 rounds in them they would swell and were hard to inset into the gun. Needless to say I promptly sold it.

Last edited by TMD; March 21, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old March 21, 2012, 06:16 AM   #21
iblong

I really like the cartrige it is in my opinion very under rated,I want one
but It seems to be a hard cartrige to make run in autos.
Mabe in a couple of years Ill give one a try.For now I'll stick with the revolvers and bolt guns.Mine have put a lot of critters down or on the table.
Old April 16, 2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Bird3897

Looks like a neat piece, 30rds would be awsome. I really like the 22mag round but they are expensive to shoot and I just don't like the thought of counting on a rimfire for reliability. I would certainly buy one for plinking fun though if I could find one that wasn't inflated in price. Guess I'll have to stick with my ruger single six for 22mag fun for now.
Old April 16, 2012, 08:05 PM   #23
skoro

What's The Latest Word on the Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22 Magnum?

They're still pretty much unobtanium from what I've seen. None of the LGS has had one to put in their case. The ones available online are way overpriced.

I want one, but I'll wait til they become available and reasonable.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:10 PM   #24
stolivar

love mine

had it from the get go. shoots all ammo and no malfunctions.

steve
Old April 16, 2012, 10:34 PM   #25
DrBillC

Had one and sold it

I was at the right place/right time and found one for $309. I snapped it up and enjoyed it . . . Mostly. If I was extremely careful on how I loaded it AND with the right ammo it was a blast both figuratively and literally. Otherwise it was a PITA jamomatic. I sold it for $550 and got myself a new Walther P99 AS. No regrets. About the same cost ammo-wise and a vast improvement in quality and reliability (albeit an apples-to-oranges comparison).