The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old September 21, 2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Cowboy_mo

WHY are states that begin with an I against rifles?

In Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa it is illegal to hunt deer with a centerfire rifle. Yet, theses states allow the use Muzzle loaders and rifled barrels with shotguns shooting slugs.

We now have inline muzzle loaders capable of killing deer out to 250 yds. No, I wouldn't take such a shot with a muzzle loader but companies are making bdc reticle scopes for these rifles and I see reviews for some of these rifles claiming they are accurate to that range. Today's shotguns with rifled barrels and the new slugs are capable of accuracy to 150.

So, why haven't these states reconsidered their laws regarding centerfire rifles?
Old September 21, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
myshoulderissore

Notice, Idaho is cool here. Don't get it twisted, not all I's are bad!
Old September 21, 2011, 09:12 AM   #3
FrontSight

Mine should be renamed: Iew York

And the one next to mine should be renamed: Iew Jersey

Old September 21, 2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

The ostensible reason is safety for those at distances well away from the shooter. Muzzle loaders and shotgun slugs won't travel as far as rifle bullets.

That it has not been a problem in other states with the use of rifles on small tracts of land is not persuasive to those in charge of the rule-making.

The only solution would be via concerted political effort by the hunting community.

Looks to me as though any further discussion would merely descend into politics, so that's why I'm closing the thread. Venting and ranting here won't change anything.