The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2011, 08:26 AM   #1
one more shot

Remington cases not chambering

I have been reloading on and off for almost 15 years and I ran into a problem and had to get some opinions on.

I previously owned a Ruger No.1 in 7mm Rem Mag and was reloading with RCBS dies, in different brands of cases, never having an issue. I no longer have the 7mm and a friend of mine was using the shells for his Savage 7mm. There are 3 different brands of cases, Rem, Feds, and WW. The Federal and Winchester feed fine, but the Remingtons won't chamber.

Upon close investigation of the loaded cases, there are resizing marks on the Remington cases at the base just above the belt that are not on either of the other case brands. My resizing die goes all the way to touch the case holder in the press. I use hornady sizing lube. Also, I used my micrometer to measure the case width at the bottom to get a maximum and all the other brands were a few thousandth's smaller.

I don't know how to get the cases any smaller in the base(just above the belt).
Old September 20, 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Jim Watson

There is a patent gimmick collet die that will size right in front of the belt (you still have to use a regular sizing die for the neck and body) but it is an expensive route to save some used brass. I would advise him to discard the Remingtons and move on with the other brands or some new brass fireformed in his gun.
Old September 20, 2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Savage32-20

A trick that I tried when I was having a chambering issue (although may not be best it did work) was to take a permanent marker (i used sharpie) and completely color the case black. Let it dry for a bit and then put it into the chamber. When it comes out look at the case for where it may be rubbing in the chamber of the gun. If it's only in one or two spots (a single line on one side) then there may be a burr that needs to be addressed. If it's uniformly around the case then it may be the case is too expanded to be put into that gun.

I know others have also had issues with Remington brass - so it may just be the nature of the beast. But this little trick was able to help me solve a chambering issue I was having and figure out where I went wrong.

Just make sure you clean the chamber after this procedure (i use hopes number 9) to remove any ink residue from the sharpie.

Like I said this may not be a good/great method to use - but it is something i tried that worked as well as being quick and easy.
Old September 20, 2011, 08:44 AM   #4
243winxb

Standard dies dont resize the belt. This die does.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Yup, that is the patent gimmick collet die I was talking about.
$90 to salvage some used brass fired in a different gun?
No.

Now if the problem recurs with other brands fireformed from new in that rifle, maybe.
Old September 20, 2011, 10:25 AM   #6
mrawesome22

Did you measure how far the shoulder was pushed back?
Old September 20, 2011, 11:21 AM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Yup, that is the patent gimmick collet die I was talking about.
$90 to salvage some used brass fired in a different gun?
No.

Now if the problem recurs with other brands fireformed from new in that rifle, maybe.
But, I think that you would have to agree that the die is an elegant solution. In a target only situation (1000 yd. competition), where the cases may have been sorted by weight, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes deburred, necks turned, cases trimmed and chamfered a shooter will loath to part with them...then, in that context the $90 tool seems like a legitimate investment. But, for hunting, heck no. But then, the belt on a 7MM Mag. is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem. There was no good reason to put a belt on the 7MM magnum anyway...except they wanted to use standard belted cases when they developed that cartridge.
Old September 20, 2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Sevens

While I agree that we'd all be better off NOW with no belts on .300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag cases... you'd have to call up the revenue folks at Remington Ammo cicra 1960s and ask their sales department if putting the big fat MAGNUM belt on that case was a good idea.

I think they'd say, "Why ye$, ye$ it wa$ a very good idea!"
Old September 20, 2011, 06:14 PM   #9
one more shot

Thanks for all of the posts, this is a hunting reload only. I have some other fired Remington brass that I will do a caliper check on before I reload it.
Old September 20, 2011, 06:53 PM   #10
Jim243

Quote:
I think they'd say, "Why ye$, ye$ it wa$ a very good idea!"

Sevens, you have a way with words. (LOL)

Tags
scared 7mm cases