The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 13, 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
silver-bullet

Beretta PX4 Storm users (.40 cal), give me some feedback!

Hello, I'm considering a .40 caliber pistol, and I'm seriously thinking about the Beretta Storm. It seems to get a little less press than other polymer guns (Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield, etc.). I'm curious to hear from actual owners/users. How's the recoil? Does the rotating barrel help in this area?

I'm especially interested in hearing from users who've shot this gun in comparison with other models. Is it better than the others? Worse? Just the same? Is the gun itself (the full-size model) any heavier or lighter? Thanks.
Old June 13, 2010, 02:24 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Beretta PX4 model C 9x19mm, 96D .40S&W....

I bought a new PX4 model C(constant action) 9mm last summer(2009). I had to sell the 9mm pistol due to $$$ problems but may be able to get it back soon.
The C or D(regular DA only) model PX4 pistols in .40 or 9mm would be great. The pistol is very easy to strip and put together. The Storm has a balanced feel and the rotation barrel system lowers felt recoil. The Super-Luminova 3 dot sights work well but I'd look into the metal 3 dot night sights from
after market firms like Trijicon.
I put different factory made FMJ & JHP 9x19mm loads in the PX4 C with 0 problems. I've owned 2 different Beretta 96D .40S&W pistols in the past(both LE surplus). The larger size and weight didn't really help as compared to the new PX4 Storm series. If you plan to use the PX4 model for CC or duty/protection, I'd suggest the C or D type. I choose the C for the light smooth trigger pull. It's safe and can be carried fully loaded but you need to be aware of the trigger(like other pistols) but the C/D models do not have manual ambi safeties or magazine safeties.
In closing there are other great polymer frame models; SIG P250, S&W military and police, HK P2000, HK USP etc but the PX4 line is worth the $.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:56 AM   #3
Mosin44az

I owned my Px4 .40 for a bit over a year. It is an excellent gun, mine was 100% reliable, accurate, recoil is very mild, maybe the mildest of all the polymer .40s. Beretta also gives you THREE mags with the gun which is really nice of them. I also think the workmanship and apparent quality are higher than most of the competition.

That said, the trigger reach with even the smallest backstrap was too much for me, the initial DA shot always hit right even after much effort and practice. Too big for my hand.

I got one with the F model, with the safety, found it very annoying to have to decock and then push the safety up when practicing DA pulls. The decocker-only version would have been better, I think it's the G model.

I can recommend it, but MAKE SURE your trigger finger easily reaches the DA trigger without stretching, and that you can pull the DA trigger straight back.

Looking at the alternatives mentioned above, I would say reliability and apparent quality is higher than the P250 ( I have one in 9mm, it's finicky, and has a plasticky feel), recoil is better than the Glock 23 and also the Smith M & P (the grip tang digs in badly with hot loads), and the price and thus value is MUCH better than the HKs. Right now I have an XD 40 which is fine and has a trigger I can shoot well, but I would not say it is a higher quality piece than the Px4.

Last edited by Mosin44az; June 14, 2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old June 14, 2010, 02:09 AM   #4
rockyl686

Good gun, never have a problem with mine and the recoil is very soft

Yes, Michael Savage does like guns. /watch?v=osOxfvtgT5g /watch?v=sbkxbNiT1eE
Old June 14, 2010, 02:14 AM   #5
LockedBreech

I just put the thousandth round through my PX4 .40 Type F on Friday, with zero failures to feed. I used Federal Champion, CCI, Federal American Eagle, Federal Hydra-Shok, as well as about 75 old .40s that had been sitting in my grandfather's ammo can for about eight years. They were rusted and literally built up with corrosion that had to be brushed off before they would fit into the magazines. I used them specifically to test how the gun handled dirty ammo. It fed this filthy, rusty ammo that had been stored in damp conditions just as if it was the Federal Premium.

I love this gun. My brother has about 2,000 rounds through his Glock 22 and has only shot about 100 through my PX4 and shoots more accurately with it.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30 | Walther PPS
Old June 14, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
silver-bullet

Great replies from everyone. Have any of you shot the Beretta in comaprison with the newer Springfield XD-M in .40? (Mosin44az mentioned owning the XD; not sure if he meant the XD-M). I think that's the only other gun I'm considering at the moment.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Bart Noir

Quote:
Good gun, never have a problem with mine and the recoil is very soft
I agree completely, but let's look at that recoil again.

We can't fool physics, so with the same cartridge and the same weight of gun, the recoil forces will be the same. But with the rotating barrel, the "perceived" recoil is different. It does seem softer.

I think that is because the barrel is not making a quick up-down motion, and that reduces the muzzle jump.

Bart Noir
Who likes his .40 S&W Px4 so much he is considering one in .45 ACP.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Bart Noir

Does it fit your hand?

That can only be answered by you.

But the rest of us can chime in about the trigger pull. I can't say anything about the double-action only version, since I haven't fired one, but I know about the model with traditional DA/SA.

The Px4 has better trigger pulls than the older Beretta models. Both trigger pulls. And the Px4 manual gives the option of partially cocking the hammer to carry in DA mode, so the DA trigger pull is shortened a little. If I carried this gun, that is how I would carry it.

But some people don't like the DA/SA type of trigger. The XD or M&P with the frame-mounted manual safety might be a good choice for a short light, yet safe, trigger.

They could call it "carrying cocked-and-locked"

Bart Noir
Who thinks the safety levers on the Px4 are too small.
Old June 14, 2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Maromero

Mossin just hit the nail on the head with his post. There is a compact coming out soon, not to be confused with the subcompact which doesn't have the rotaiting barrel.
Old June 14, 2010, 03:03 PM   #10
greyson97

if anything, id want a single stack 9mm with a 5"+ barrel....

I love my full sized 9mm though. sub compact, not so much

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old June 14, 2010, 10:37 PM   #11
Mosin44az

Mine is the regular XD 40, haven't tried or been tempted by the XD-M because of its greater size and price. But it should shoot in a similar fashion, maybe with even less felt recoil than the already mild XD.
Old June 17, 2010, 06:02 AM   #12
Steve_in_SEMich

I have the full-size PX4 in .40S&W - matched it to a CX4 carbine. I originally wanted the .45, but with a capacity of 14 (17 in the ext. mag) compared to 8, the .40 S&W was the clear choice for me. I originally thought the .40 mag capacity for the carbine was 11 based on the Beretta website info, but I guess that was for the 8000 series magazine type.

On the chronograph, the 16" carbine averaged about 200 fps faster than the pistol.

No issues with reliability, so far I like the largest grip insert over the medium - haven't tried the small insert yet. The PX4 & CX4 are my choices for bugging out if that ever becomes necessary.

Highly recommended.

You voted for who? :barf:
Old June 17, 2010, 06:40 AM   #13
Don P

My early production PX4 in 40 S&W had a terrible trigger sting. Made it very uncomfortable to shoot a 50 round box of ammo It seems the only caliber with this problem in the PX4 line of pistols was the 40 S&W. Don't know why. I sold mine and purchased a used M&P 40 S&W and am glad I did. The M&P is a much more comfy shooting 40. I also own a PX4 in 9 mm and it has no problems and has been trouble free to date.
Old June 20, 2010, 11:21 AM   #14
Win

I had a rocky start with mine, that has left me not so crazy about it.

Mine had a lot of jams (about every third or fourth round) until I figured out that the .40 (Monarch) I was using was not strong enough to properly cycle the gun. Once I figured this out and switched to stronger ammunition, it was fine, but I just haven't gotten over that initial bad impression.

My Storm is the only weapon I have that does not run properly on the Monarch .40 - every other .40 I have, and I mean everything including a Hi Point, runs just fine on it.

I do like the rotating barrel, but I think mine recoils about like any other .40, which is to say it's not bad at all. I think all the talk about .40 recoil is overstated. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's just the way it is.
Old June 20, 2010, 11:56 AM   #15
gak

Although I do not own a PX4, I like (love?) the fact it can be paired with its own carbine, and the hi cap .40 is appealing with the latter. I like the .40 and have about 15 years experience with, so that's probably what I'd stick with. I do have smallish hands ...don't recall (one way or another) the DA trigger aspect, and will have to focus on next time counter shopping.

To date I've been happy with my nifty "tri action" Daewoo DH40--fairly chunky grip for its relatively low-but-double stack cap (10/11) aside--but have been contemplating catching the hi-cap polymer bug. I'd generally narrowed the choices down to the M&P and Beretta (and to a degree XD/XDM), and the prospects for the companion CX carbine aspect may put the PX over the top. S&W would do well to copy this approach also.

Last edited by gak; June 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 12:28 PM   #16
corum72

love my px4

I bought my .40 px4 model f after scouring reviews and blogs. It was very rare to find negative reviews and have been happy with it since. I've put about 1200 rounds through mine, mainly lawman and remington umc, and only received ftf due to a dirty cartridge. I just got my cc and after reading all the newest blogs and reviews I'll probably purchase the sub compact version. I want the .40 but looks like there is a huge back order so I may settle for the 9mm. It's either that or a cz rami or hk s2000sk. Wish the hk weren't so expensive.
Old June 21, 2010, 01:40 PM   #17
DrBundy

Quote:
corum72 <snip>I want the .40 but looks like there is a huge back order so I may settle for the 9mm.
It's not back ordered, it hasn't been released yet, although Beretta says it will start shipping soon. There have been some finish issues reported with the SC 9mm, so perhaps that is why the .40 version was delayed. Who knows? Beretta certainly won't tell you.

Anyway, I've had a model F PX4 in .40 as my EDC for about 6 months. Not the easiest to conceal, but not the hardest either. Felt recoil is less than other similar guns, and recovery time from shot to shot is a mite bit faster (for me). I ran 200 rounds through her yesterday and my hands didn't feel beat up afterward unlike my old S&W 4006. It's a .40, so there WILL be some muzzle flip, but I find less on the PX4 than on similar weapons. Shooting my PX4 in .40 is akin to shooting my 92's in 9mm. I use the smallest backstrap and have no problems reaching all controls. Cleaning is a breeze. The grip is good, so even on hot days in high humidity, my hand holds it tight. The gun is balanced nearly perfectly with a full mag in place. It will gobble any ammo you have without a blink, from the dirtiest reloads to the fanciest HP's. Mags can be found cheaply now, too.

Dislikes? The Superluminova sights are junk...so much so that Beretta stopped shipping many PX4's with them and substituted regular white 3 dot sights. Regardless, plan on upgrading to some good night sights - Mepro, XS, Trijicon all offer great products. Another dislike is the DA trigger. I changed it to a D-spring and that helped somewhat. In SA, it's a dream to shoot.

Meh? Slide mounted safety. It's a Beretta thing. You love it or hate it. I'm used to it from my stable of 92's, so it's no biggie for me. If a slide-mounted safety bothers you, look to the M&P. I've never felt the so-called "trigger sting" despite my best efforts to reproduce it, so I'm inclined to think it was an early issue that Beretta has worked out.

~A
Old June 21, 2010, 02:03 PM   #18
GotTheFeaver

PX4 SC .40 now shipping

I was able to secure one for myself today. Two weeks ago, Cabellas said they had them on order and were due to arrive on the 24th. I checked today and they were still expecting them. I secured one and already sent over my FFL info. Price was $519 plus shipping. It takes about two weeks for the gun to make its way to the store where it will be shipped from.

I called Beretta and asked when additional mags would be available. They said it should ship with a standard and one click mag and additional mags will be available by the end of the year.

I also asked why it was delayed for so long. I was told they had a large military order which consumed their manufacturing and had a higher priority.

Can't wait to get it..will post pictures and report after I receive it.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:35 PM   #19
350zmiata

review px4 40cal

hello,
ive read the reviews here months ago, purchased the gun.
may 17-2011, i took it to the range soon as i got it put 40-50 rounds through. no issue ever! amazing. gun shot low right off the bat. upon cleaning i noticed the weapon had three tiny marr marks on the right slide. its different than the left side if you ever taken gun apart. it doesnt seem right, im not comfortable thinking hmm how would i ever resell this gun one day? Guy at Gun store says it looks normal.

went back to the range in july, no issues still shot low i figured i just aim higher and need to get use to it
9/9/11 yesterday. i decided i would go to the range with my pal, i grabbed my pistol from the nightstand and attempted to rack the slide to unload the bullet in the chamber, as the slide came back it jammed. i had Georgia Arms 180grain hollow points in. i cleared the jam, put the clip back in, and loaded the weapon. first round was extracted second felt tough, and then third total jam. i tried using federal 40 fmj 160 grain and they still jam just not as much.
so i call shoot straight and head up there with my proof of purchase all the different kinds of good ammo i have and the guys up there only had 3 issues and claimed to call it feed issues, and that the gun needed to be " broke in " they claim to feed it more ammo, and break it in... i think i should return it to beretta and get a new slide. at the range yesterday they were nice enough to let us shoot for an hour free, i did jam the gun with golden sabres, georgia arms, federal, winchester atleast once. first month having this pistol it would cycle beautful with all these ammos what the heck is going on, i spent an hour cleaning this thing with q tips, break free, hoppes, you name it and its still jamming. hit me up please any info advice etc.
Old September 15, 2011, 05:01 PM   #20
jayhan

I was looking at the px4 when i purchased my springfield xd. beretta really didn't impress me with the plastic trigger, guide rod and trigger