The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 3, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1
MrGreen

S&W M&P 9x19 Ammo

To date I have only shot Winchester white out of it and have really been happy. However since I live in a small town sometimes it is tough to get that Ammo. The only place that I have seen carry it is WalMart and sometimes they run out. What other Ammo goes well with a 9mm Smith and Wesson M&P? Today I bought 50 rounds of Sellier and Bellot because the guy at the store said it was better than Winchester (they don't carry it) because it is cleaner. Any brands to pick up or avoid?
Old September 3, 2011, 10:09 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I like Federal Champion. Cheap and usually pretty good.

Winchester White Box is god awful filthy and has given me personally the highest number of hard primers for my revolvers and some crazy bad rounds.

On the whole, however, I haev found my M&P to be the least picky gun I own. It generally eats anything, If it doesn't eat a round then you really know it was bad.
Old September 3, 2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Will Beararms

Wall of China Mart also carries RWS and Remington UMC from time to time.
Old September 3, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Online sources for factory 9x19mm ammunition....

These online sources have good prices & customer service;

www.Cabelas.com www.cheaperthandirt.com www.brownells.com www.shopcorbon.com www.sgammo.com
Old September 4, 2011, 07:17 AM   #5
plouffedaddy

I run tons of Silver Bear through mine. Works like a champ. you can get 500 rounds for $85 at militaryshooters.com
Old September 4, 2011, 07:50 AM   #6
excelerater

M&P will eat any ammo U use,
Old September 4, 2011, 04:50 PM   #7
KyJim

I'll shoot just about anything through mine, though only limited amounts of steel cased ammo (Russian stuff). I've shot WWB, RWS, Sellier and Bellot, Remington UMC, Aguilla, Blazer Brass, Blazer aluminum case, Federal Champion, American Eagle (Federal), Dynamit Nobel, and probably some others that don't come to mind immediately.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:09 PM   #8
MrGreen

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback and the links. I figured this gun was pretty much good to go with any ammo but wanted some feedback.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:19 PM   #9
phatspeed7x

I own a Sigma 9mm, and it eats anything I feed it. I'm sure your M&P9 would do the same.
Old September 4, 2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Webleymkv

While I don't own a S&W M&P, I used WWB, Federal Champion, Blazer Brass, UMC, American Eagle, S&B, Fiocchi, RWS, Geco, and Armscor for 9mm range ammo and never had issues with any of them. Lately, I've been shooting more Federal Champion than anything because that's what my local Wally World has the cheapest next to steel-cased TulAmmo.
Old September 5, 2011, 02:56 AM   #11
tahunua001

sellier and bellot isn't better than WWB. but it's still reliable and cheaper so it's a good choice for plinking ammo. I have about 3000 rounds of 9mm stockpiled and about 1000 of that is S&B. it's easy to come by and is fairly clean but it's easier to get bulk than wwb which is probably why LGS carries it instead.
CCI blazers and blazer brass
federal red box
american eagle
magtech
USA ammo(lake city brass reload)
sellier and bellot
and winchester white box are all very good options for range ammo.

your M&P will also eat up remington/umc brass cased and tula and wolf steel case but I normally stay away from it due to personal prejudice(inconsistency, extra cleaning requirements, degrading quality control and slightly elevated chance of KaBooms). M&Ps are pretty reliable so I cant really see them jamming on anything other than super blunt hollowpoints.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 5, 2011, 07:44 AM   #12
TBT

The M&P will eat any ammunition that you feed it but the faster rounds will be more accurate in the gun because of the way that the gun locks up. All things equal, grab the highest velocity round you can find for practice.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:24 AM   #13
theycallmeingot

Quote:
The M&P will eat any ammunition that you feed it but the faster rounds will be more accurate in the gun because of the way that the gun locks up. All things equal, grab the highest velocity round you can find for practice.
would you care to elaborate on this?
Old September 5, 2011, 11:35 AM   #14
Don Glock

avoid UMC. that stuff is crap. also, based on all the reports of WWB bullets getting lodged in the barrel, i've started to avoid that as well.

good stuff: s&b, pmc bronze, blazer brass (or aluminum), and federal champion.

just don't get that s&b "range safe" ammo in the grey box. that's garbage. get the green/red box stuff.

Quote:
nonsense.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:40 AM   #15
TBT

The M&P 9mm unlocks a little early and as a result the faster rounds (the gun was designed around NATO velocities) are a little more accurate. Going into more detail than that I would probably be over my head (I'm no gunsmith) and I wouldn't want to lead anyone down the wrong path. Perhaps I can get Randy or one of the guys from Apex Tactical to stop in and explain it better. He's posted a few videos on the subject and has even gone so far as to design a custom fit replacement barrel with Irv from Barsto to eliminate the problem.

It's definitely not nonsense and I would encourage everyone to ignore posts like that and do the homework yourself.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:54 AM   #16
Sparks1957

Living in a small town, ammo choices tend not to be very broad, and I try to avoid going to Walmart at all costs.

I have become a big fan of online ammo purchasing, though you do have to be careful about which one you choose due to variations in shipping costs. It's always cheaper in bulk as well.

I like these guys, in NJ. All shipping is free, and they're quick and reliable.

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_home.htm
Old September 11, 2011, 08:10 AM   #17
TacticalDefense1911

An M&P is going to eat anything, as it should. If it runs fine on WWB box then I wouldn't worry about it running on something different.
Old September 11, 2011, 09:05 AM   #18
wheel

Georgia Arms. Their quality is great and their "canned heat" deals are usually pretty good:

http://georgia-arms.com/9mmluger-2.aspx

Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.
Old September 11, 2011, 10:43 AM   #19
saddlerocker

Buy online

ammoseek.com
gun-deals.com

Brass 9mm is about $0.20/rd
Old September 11, 2011, 01:00 PM   #20
theycallmeingot

Quote:
The M&P 9mm unlocks a little early and as a result the faster rounds (the gun was designed around NATO velocities) are a little more accurate.
thanks for the explaination.
Old September 15, 2011, 05:03 PM   #21
TBT

Not a problem. For a better explanation just give the guys at Apex a shout.
Old September 15, 2011, 06:18 PM   #22
chewie146

I've shot everything from Federal HST (defense ammo) to Brown Bear Russian ammo. It ate and spit out everything with varying levels of accuracy. From my experience, it's a Glock. Feed it and oil sparingly.