The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 12, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
FrosSsT

Who makes the best AR-15?

There are too many manufacturers to list and then some. Short and sweet, through all your wisdom and opinion, who makes the best, highest quality, all around AR?

-Tactical use, 14.5 or 16 inch barrel
-Reliability
-Accuracy up to 500 meters
-Cost should not be a factor
-EDIT: Builds now OK
-No "Bang for the buck"
-Out of the box quality is a major factor

Let it begin....

Edited 9-14-11 To be more to the point.

Last edited by FrosSsT; September 14, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Charlie_98

Colt.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:14 PM   #3
GONIF

There is no best . In a AR15 that is used for other than a target rifle you can count on Colt,LMT,Larue,Daniel Defence,Spikes Tactical and a few more .IMHO if you want a GTG right out of the box M4 AR buy a Colt 6920 and you are in a top teir AR with a great resale value if you ever need to sell it in the future. I doubt you would find much differance in any I listed.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:21 PM   #4
TraderJack

I'm savin' my pennys, nickles and dimes for a brand new LWRC.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Charlie_98

Quote:
There is no best . In a AR15 that is used for other than a target rifle you can count on Colt,LMT,Larue,Daniel Defence,Spikes Tactical and a few more .IMHO if you want a GTG right out of the box M4 AR buy a Colt 6920 and you are in a top teir AR with a great resale value if you ever need to sell it in the future. I doubt you would find much differance in any I listed.
That's quite true... and something I didn't consider. If you are looking for an Uber-tatical rifle, the Colt out of the box probably won't cut it as well as an LMT or DD.

I just interpeted the OP as a box-stock, general purpose A2/A4-type AR (such as the Colt 6920 you mentioned.)
Old September 12, 2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Achilles11B

I'll be the jerk that throws out a single manufacturer and say LaRue.

The funny thing is, the reasons I like LaRue (accuracy, reliability, ability to do great things with an assortment of ammo) could more than likely be said about Colt, Noveske, LMT, LWRC, DD, etc. However, LaRue's customer service is outstanding. Not sure what the CS department for the other mfr's is like, though.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Abel

Mossberg.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
Old September 12, 2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Eghad

BCM is one of the better places to get one

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

There are several good makers........

I walked in the store looking to buy a AR 15 they were all 950-1100 and 1100+.

I walked over to another counter where they were selling separate uppers and lowers. I got a Spikes Tactical Upper for $525.00 and a CMMG Lower for $250 so for $775.00 I got a very good AR-15 that digests even the steel case ammo without missing a beat. That let me spend more on a good red dot optic.

Unless you just have to have it right now right now. You can buy a good upper or lower separate over a period of time and save some $$$

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; September 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:44 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Noveske, quality and accuracy. $$$$
Old September 13, 2011, 09:57 AM   #10
tirod

For an example of masculinity enhancement, just stare at all the expensive rollmarks, read the most appealing ads, and then choose a fanboy group based on their overall attitude. You will be happy in most cases.

To choose a rifle FOR A SPECIFIC JOB, you should define what it needs to do. What ranges it will be engaged at, and what kind of target - live, or inanimate. That sets the caliber and barrel length, what upper, what optic, fixed or adjustable stock, the magazine length, handguards, and trigger - in that order. It's exactly why the Army issues an M4 carbine in general, and the SDM rifle in particular. About as far apart in application for the same cartridge as the military uses, but certainly not the extremes.

Once the task list is settled out and the various features known, THEN you choose which is the "best" from the few suppliers who actually make that specific combination of parts.

"Who makes the best?" really means "What is the Brand most likely to impress my peer group?" Sorry, can't help there.

"What type gun will work for this list of needs?" - with specifics - and you'll get good advice from even beginners.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:03 AM   #11
batmann

Bravo Company is one of the best IMHO. I have also looked at the Ruger SR556 and although more money, it has more 'features' than most, including folding sights, rail on the receiver and rail handguards that are in place when you buy it making it pretty easy to add optics and a light. Both are fine weapons and you probably won't go wrong with most of the suggestions here.
Old September 13, 2011, 12:36 PM   #12
NWPilgrim

It use to be sparse pickings at the top. Now there are several superlative brands. Noveske, Knights Armament, Barret, LaRue, Wilson Combat, Daniel Defense, LMT, LWRC, Colt, Bravo Company for the more tactical style rifles.

If you are talking precision target rifles then you have companies like JP, which is an entirely different thing.

The quality is so high and available now that even the so-called second tier brands are really well made relative to other firearms. I've owned, shot and known others with some of these and they work flawlessly, are as accurate as most of the shelf hunting rifles, and eat all styles of ammo easily. You would have to work them harder than 98% of most shooters to tell the difference. Rock River Arms, S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS/Remington, DoubleStar, Stag, etc.

FN is starting to supply uppers to a few resellers like Palmetto State Armory, so in a few years they may become a top tier player in complete rifles.

For a specific purpose some brands are going to offer better models than others so you have to define what you want it to do then examine which brands offer the best models to meet those requirements.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 13, 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
tobnpr

What Tirod said....
There is no "best" - any rifle. It's no different than asking who makes the best bolt action rifle. "Best"- at what?
Old September 13, 2011, 01:25 PM   #14
TNT

I got older carbine variant and I can say this because mine is not piston operated if isnt piston operated its not a reliable AR you can flame me all you want but having seen the two side by side the piston operated ones is the ONLY way to go expensive yes but well worth it.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:47 PM   #15
graysmoke

Colt...
Old September 13, 2011, 01:50 PM   #16
tAKticool

Bushmaster bro- you'll make so many friends online on the internet gun forums an be so popualr.

it's the best AR and the best to oshow off online.

You can be just like me, get called a "obvious piece of $*# he bough a bushmaster, what more evidence do oyu need" LOl.

To tell the truth, this forum really sold me on the fact, this was the BEST FORUM for AR advice when I did buy my Bushmaster last Dec. I basically "ordered" it locally in NJ in Nov and the store was about two hours south of me, but they took online credit card "payments" - I was buying myself a present for surviving total disc replacement back surgery at the age of 29. And I have to say it hurt real bad that not only did my family not get me anything, get better soon present, glad you're alive not paralyzed etc, I didnt expect much but thought my DAD at least might do something... but hey I did myself., Anyway the guy Ibought from let me put down like $400 "deposit/order', then $400 more about two weeks later, then the balance to pick up, well when I asked about it on here ppl said "Good job congrats you did fine and you'll like it" instead of SUCH VICIOUS ATTACKS on other sites, it was embarrasing for the other people.

Literallly got personally insulted etc. for buying a certain rifle brand, I mean, what type of mama raises their kids to be prejudiced agaisnt a persons retail brand choice lol?

I'm partial to the whole ABC's of AR's, ArmaLite, Bushmaster, and Colt. Maybe someday I'll have me a $3000 Noveske and build one with a Daniel Defense/Bravo Company combo of upper/lowers, but hey.... my Bushmaster is great for me, it';s all Magpul'd up and it's awesome to look at, awesome to hold and carry, awesome to shoot, and it weas priced great for what I got so, what can IS ay,. haters gon hate, Im happy.

but seriously tho, if you buy a Bushmaster expect to get so bashed for it you'll consider not visiting the gun sites anymore, ti really got to me for a while.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:50 PM   #17
booker_t

NWPilgrim makes a good point, "tactical" vs "target" are very different beasts, it's tough to say best when there are a variety of applications out there.

If I had to buy a complete AR-15, money no object, I'd likely go with Noveske as my first choice, I have the most confidence in their barrels. If the chamber and barrel aren't right, it doesn't matter what you put around it. Bravo Company second, and Daniel Defense third.

My AR is mostly BCM and DD, with a FailZero BCG and Magpul/ARMS accessories. Saving up for that 4x ACOG. By no means do I have extensive experience with the majority of manufacturers' products, so most of my opinion is based on what I've experienced with my own rifle, and then read, heard, and seen around.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:59 PM   #18
Aiko

As stated before, no best. There may be better fits based on your specific needs. Check out the updated chart on m4carbine.com, has all the updated specs of the top manufacturers-usually very helpful.
Old September 13, 2011, 02:07 PM   #19
GONIF

How about a Colt 6920 with a trijicon acog on it with Magpull Pmags loaded with MK262 77 grain otm ammo ,and the operator being properly trained .
Old September 13, 2011, 03:40 PM   #20
Achilles11B

Eghad said it best. Buying the upper and lower separate will save money. I'm doing that with a .50 Beowulf, the upper was ordered yesterday. Once it arrives, depending on what manufacturer's name I want on the lower, I can go from there.
=
Old September 13, 2011, 04:18 PM   #21
GONIF

the OP said out of the box Rifle .
Old September 13, 2011, 06:10 PM   #22
RT

Noveske, BCM, and DD would be my top 3 favorite complete guns with Larue as my favorite uppers.

Check out the DD torture test with LAV.

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest
Old September 13, 2011, 06:11 PM   #23
BikerRN

Out of the Box:

COLT
Old September 13, 2011, 06:17 PM   #24
KChen986

Colt? I don't know about that. Some of them are a little wobbly out of the box.

I really do think Noveske makes the best out of the box DI ARs (very accurate, very pricey, all high quality components).
Old September 13, 2011, 07:43 PM   #25
kaylorinhi

No Doubt, Para's knock off of Alan's beautiful delayed impingment! Check out the TTR's.