The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 12, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1
vaquero aleman

Bisley vs Standard

I currently have a New Model Blackhawk 7.5" 45LC on layaway. I have since read a few articles about the Blackhawk and have determined that I should have purchased a Bisley model. I would like to know if it is feasible to install a Bisley grip on the standard Blackhawk. Has anybody attempted this? I talked to a Ruger tech and he told me to look at gun shows for Blackhawk parts, but if I can't make the switch I won't bother. He also told me that to change out the fluted cylinder with a non-fluted cylinder would be possible but I have to make sure that the fore and aft cylinder play is limited and that it would be best to let a gunsmith fit the cylinder in. Any ideas?

Last edited by vaquero aleman; September 13, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old September 12, 2011, 05:53 PM   #2
hornetguy

I don't remember what I've read about replacing the grip with a Bisley style... it seems like it should be possible, IF you can find the grip.
As far as the cylinder is concerned, I'd be a lot more comfortable having a QUALIFIED gunsmith make sure it's ok before shooting it. Chances are it would be ok in that it wouldn't blow up, but you'd want the 'smith to make sure the timing is correct, and barrel cylinder gap is correct, otherwise accuracy will suffer. You would want to check the ID of the cylinder mouths, and compare them to your bore diameter, to make sure the dimensions were compatible, for best accuracy.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Charlie_98

If your Blackhawk is on layaway... why don't you just switch to a Bisley?

It's my understanding you can swap the grip frames, but a little fitting may be in order. I actually prefer the fluted cylinder, myself, but if you have another cylinder installed, like Hornetguy said... have a good 'smith do it!
I prefer the Blackhawk trigger and hammer, but I would swap them out as a set (if you were inclined to do so.)

I'm a Bisley man, I don't care for the grip on my Vaquero as much as the Bisley...

My pinky hangs off the bottom of the Blackhawk grip...

But the Bisley grip is longer and sets the hand at a different angle...

Side by side...

Old September 12, 2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Hammerhead

Don't be too quick to switch to the Bisley grip. I shoot both, and in .45 Colt I like the standard grip because it rolls up in the hand, converting much of the recoil into rotation of the gun. The Bisley grip is a better target grip, but in heavy calibers it smacks the palm harder. I like the Bisley grip on my .44 spl flat top with target loads, but when loaded up to .45 Colt power levels, it can smack you pretty good.
The only thing I don't like on the new Blackhawks is the checkered hard rubber grips. As it rolls up in the hand, the checkering can really grate the skin after a few cylinder fulls. Smooth walnut is the way to go with the standard Blackhawk, so that it rolls smoothly in the hand.
I know some people see it the opposite way, but you really need to test it out for yourself.
Besides, if you switch to the Bisley grip, you'll want to switch to the Bisley hammer as well, and the cost starts to go way up.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Hammerhead

After looking at your pic, I wouldn't change a thing on that gun. Very nice.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:02 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca

Brownells sells Ruger grip frames. I don't recall if they have a Bisley version, but check their web site (or catalog, if you have it).
Old September 13, 2011, 05:28 AM   #7
BlueTrain

I've had both the standard and Bisley frames for a Ruger as well as Colt, although the Bisley variation was a reproduction from another company. In case you're interested the Colt Bisley grip is quite different and I believe the Ruger shape is much to be preferred, if you like the Bisley shape at all. But I agree, the hammer almost needs to go with it and I liked the lower hammer a lot more. The trigger is also different, you will notice.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Ruger4Life

I converted this Blackhawk to Bisley style. Parts may still be available at Brownells.

Old September 13, 2011, 06:59 AM   #9
longfellow

Bisley Conversion

I wasn't kind enough to my mother or I would have held off getting this conversion done to a newly purchased Flat Top (New Model) just before it became a standard offering.
I am not trying to get you to doubt your decision now that what you are asking about is in fact a factory item right now. Actually I'd encourage you to do what I did- for the satisfaction of having a custom revolver, it is worth the money (to me).
I had Andy Horvath fit a Bisley grip frame, trigger and hammer (all are required) to a New Model 44 Special. The handling is a world away from the standard grip frame guns.
Yes, it can be done and it was very reasonable and I got a trigger job and reblue with the package.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:15 AM   #10
Charlie_98

Quote:
After looking at your pic, I wouldn't change a thing on that gun. Very nice.
Thank you! I waited a very long time to find a Bisley in .41Mag (about 15 years, believe it or not.) It's a shame it's about as accurate as a shotgun... (Ruger SA's and I have never gotten along... )
Old September 13, 2011, 09:52 AM   #11
pendennis

Brownell's has the Bisley grip frame. However, you should be forewarned that this is no "bolt-on, ready-to-go" part. It takes fitting by someone who has experience in the area.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...__IN_THE_WHITE
Old September 13, 2011, 11:58 AM   #12
GeauxTide

Quote:
I waited a very long time to find a Bisley in .41Mag (about 15 years, believe it or not.) It's a shame it's about as accurate as a shotgun... (Ruger SA's and I have never gotten along...
Charlie, there are a couple of things to do with a Ruger SA to make them shoot lites out. First, get a Belt Mountain Base Pin (I use the lock screw variety) Second, bring it to your Smith for a trigger job and installation of the Base Pin.

The Bisley mods you are considering - you're well down the road of a new Bisley in buying grip frame, cylinder, and installation.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:19 PM   #13
vaquero aleman

Blackhawk grip

Has anybody tried the pachmayer grip for the blackhawk. It looks kind of bulky to me, but I won't rule it out. The reason I am concerned about the grip is because of the statements that have been made about the Bisley being a lot easier on the hand. I have shot hot loads out of a Vaquero. It can be a little painful.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Charlie_98

Quote:
Charlie, there are a couple of things to do with a Ruger SA to make them shoot lites out. First, get a Belt Mountain Base Pin (I use the lock screw variety) Second, bring it to your Smith for a trigger job and installation of the Base Pin.

The Bisley mods you are considering - you're well down the road of a new Bisley in buying grip frame, cylinder, and installation.
No, no... not me. I posted those photos to show the difference to the OP in the grip frames.

I do have a BM base pin installed, it did help, but it still isn't everything I'd hoped for. I've wrestled with every... every Ruger pistol I've ever owned and I'm just tired of it. I'm going to find a nice Dan Wesson and live happily ever after...

Quote:
The reason I am concerned about the grip is because of the statements that have been made about the Bisley being a lot easier on the hand. I have shot hot loads out of a Vaquero. It can be a little painful.
I've fired some Cast Performance 250grn slugs under 19.0grn W296 in my .41 Bisley... it was stout but didn't hurt my hand. I have a pair of PAST gloves with the padding in the palm, they help if you are going to shoot a lot, or your palm is sensitive to recoil. The Bisley grip isn't super bulky, it's just a very well shaped 'handle.'
Old September 14, 2011, 11:01 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Has anybody tried the pachmayer grip for the blackhawk.
YES! All my Ruger Blackhawks wear pachmayr grips, except one .45 convertable that I leave the .45 ACP cylinder in. The grip is comfortable (for me) hand filling, and fills in behind the triggerguard. The gun still rolls in the hand, but not as much.

30 years ago, when expirimenting with stout loads for the .45 Colt, I found that the triggerguard was hitting my middle finger during recoil. Pachmayr grips solved that problem, and while I seldom shoot those monster loads anymore, I like the feel of the Pachmayr grip. SO much so that not only does my 7.5" .45 wear them, but so does my .357 and .44Mag.

Some folks scoff at them, because they are not "traditional", but I don't give a rip about that, or them. Those grips make my guns more comfortable to shoot, with all loads, and especially the stout ones.

As to putting a Bisley frame on a Blackhawk, yes, you can, but its usually not just a bolt on operation. And be aware that the Bisley hammer is different from the Balckhawk, not just the spur, but the base (or tail as I call it) is a different size. The Bisley is larger (longer?), to fit a Bisley hammer in a Blackhawk grip frame, either the hammer or the frame must be cut for clearance. Fit a Bisley grip frame on a Blackhawk with the original hammer, and there will be a gap at the back of the hammer.
Old September 14, 2011, 09:38 PM   #16
Sheikyourbootie

I just got my Bisley Blackhawk a month ago, and it is easily my most comfortable revolver to shoot HEAVY loads through. 325 Grain cast slugs at 1300fps (the group below was with the 1100fps loading), with excellent accuracy, and without getting my hands beaten up.

If it's on layaway....GET THE BISLEY!!!! You won't regret it.

Last edited by Sheikyourbootie; September 15, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old September 15, 2011, 11:42 AM   #17
True Grit

If your NM Blackhawk is on lay-a-way with a reputable dealer, he should be able to obtain a NM Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt for you. If for some reason he can't, they are readily available. No reason to convert when the Ruger Bisley configuration is still available.

True Grit