The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2011, 05:27 PM   #1
kealil

DIY Ammunition boxes

Hey All,

As the title suggests, I'm interested in making my own ammo boxes for storage. I am currently using this from MIDWAYUSA:http://tiny.cc/oaj1y and it works great but I'm in a DIY mood lately so has anyone done this?

I want to make something similar to those in the link because I am an organization freak and love everything in their little rows all nice and tidy. So any suggestions as to the best way to do this?

Please note that I do not NEED to do this, I just WANT to.

Thanks all!
Old September 10, 2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Ultravox

I understand wanting to DIY, but when you can buy these http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=2124211427 for less than $3 I'm not sure that DIY is a good plan.

I've considered making ammo boxes out of wood - drilling a bunch of holes and making a cover, but again, the plastic ones are less than $3 and it takes a while to drill 50 holes.

I'm not sure how you would make the styrofoam inserts since the ones you linked to are injection molded and that takes a lot of equipment.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but if you want to DIY stuff there are much better projects that I can think of.
Old September 10, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
wncchester

Use 'zip-lock' bags, they self adjust to fit the remaining about of ammo. Boxes take just as much storage space for one round as fifty.
Old September 10, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Don P

Quote:
Use 'zip-lock' bags, they self adjust to fit the remaining about of ammo. Boxes take just as much storage space for one round as fifty.
+1 I concur. best ammo box out there cheap and the fit very well into 50 cal ammo boxes.
Old September 10, 2011, 05:50 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Pick up empty ammo boxes at the range.

Turn them inside-out and glue the side seam back down. You end up with a free box with a plain paperboard surface for you to write on or affix your own label. They actually look pretty good.
Old September 10, 2011, 06:20 PM   #6
spacecoast

I use empty boxes I find at the range and use yellow sticky notes to denote what's inside. Makes folks think I'm spending a fortune at the range...
Old September 10, 2011, 06:27 PM   #7
bedlamite

Ziplock bags in .50 ammo cans here, caliber marked with silver paint marker on the latch of the can. They stack nicely too.
Old September 10, 2011, 06:31 PM   #8
mo84

you could always buy a block of styrofoam what ever thickness nessary and drill the holes in them. the zip locks are cheep but I still prefer a good sturdy box.
Old September 10, 2011, 06:39 PM   #9
CherokeeT

I made ammo boxes until I discovered the factory stuff was infinately better, that was years ago. Zip lock bags are good for some but I like sturdy boxes. I still have my old Herters plastic boxes from 40 years ago. Don't like the henge top plastic, only the slip top.
Old September 12, 2011, 07:42 AM   #10
griz

I've used small boxes to hold the rounds stacked alternately up and down (like 22LR are packed in the little cardboard boxes) but it was more to save space than anything. If you are looking to make something really nice, try whipping up something like this:

Old September 12, 2011, 07:49 AM   #11
jaguarxk120

Hey picking through the trash can is the best source of ammo box's and loading tray's. I have nice 50 hole trays that fit all 30-06 base size down to 9mm/223 base size. They work and if I break one there's always more for the taking.
Old July 26, 2013, 07:59 AM   #12
jahisagod

My homemade box
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130725_124933.jpg (253.2 KB, 114 views)
Old July 26, 2013, 09:10 AM   #13
serf 'rett

I always figured dumpster diving at the local range was do-it-yourself.

Huge fan of Ziploc bag for mass storage (but I confess to owning 30+ Berry's plastic boxes and a handfull of MTM).
Old July 26, 2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Forrest68

Well before I even started reloaden, I started saven all my brass and empty ammo boxes. So I have enough plastic tray to hold well over 1000 rounds at one time, and just write on the old boxes with a sharpie. If ya want um all white, you could either use a spary paint on the outside of the box or even use a conatact cement and wrap them in cheap white paper.

Oh and griz that wood box looks awsome, but you pull that out at the range and I'd be expecting to see gold plated bullets stored inside
Old July 26, 2013, 11:52 AM   #15
g.willikers

Might as well go first class, and make a nice new box from scratch.
http://howtomakeacardboard.com/cardboard_box.html

Then make a good looking label for it.
Old July 26, 2013, 12:31 PM   #16
jag2

I understand the need to have everything neat and organized (its a sickness) but I quit using the plastic ammo boxes (MTM, etc) and am so glad. I use the plastic containers that lunch meat comes in, a tupperware box basically. It is so much easier to get the ammo out, you just dig in like you're getting a handful of popcorn, no trying to pull out each round or tipping the box and hope they all come out. Try it and I bet you'll love it. Now my loading blocking that I make on my drill press, that's another story. The rows are all straight and equally spaced.
Old July 26, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Farmland

Been there done that. I started with saving factor boxes then moved to the plastic store bought cases. That works for a low amount of ammo. However when you get to 500 then into the thousands you change. Now I use a combination of large ammo boxes and a growing amount of sip lock bags.

However since you just want to I think it would be a cool project and the link provided gives you a good base to work up your boxes.
Old July 26, 2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Real Gun

I use the kind I can bury.
Old July 26, 2013, 07:59 PM   #19
SL1

I usually use the plastic MTM boxes for revolver rounds and rifle rounds when they make one that the ammo fits. And, I usually use range pick-up boxes with the plastic inserts for auto-loader pistol ammo.

But, some ammo just doesn't seem to fit those boxes well. Then I use discarded WOODEN CIGAR BOXES, the kind with hinges and snap closures, and do a lot of drilling in a block of wood that I saw to just fit in the box. That is what holds my .30 Herrett rounds, for instance.

SL1
Old July 27, 2013, 08:22 AM   #20
Misssissippi Dave

I did have used factory boxes but I got tired of having to use packing tape to keep the cardboard from falling apart after a while. I then tried freezer zip loc bags. They work better than sandwich bags. Lately I have been using rubber made containers. The 5 and10 cup types. You can put a lot of ammo in the 10 cup ones. It is pretty easy to reach in one to load up magazines at the range. The Zip loc bags still go into the 50 cal ammo cans and you can put enough ammo in one of those to make them plenty heavy. The plastic inserts of the factory boxes are still used by me on the bench. I put ammo in them for two purposes. The first it to make it easy to check primer depth. The second is to make counting easier to do.

I go through a fair amount of ammo on a regular basis. The fancy wooden boxes just don't seem to hold enough and take too much time to create. For small amounts of ammo they are really nice. I like to be able to grab quickly 3 to 500 rounds of each caliber I plan on shooting that day to make the range trip. I probably won't come close to using it all but it is there for those times when the urge strikes to put a lot of lead down range.

I have a plastic 50 cal ammo can with the removable inner shelf. That shelf/tray is great to put fired brass in for the return trip.