The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Shootest

BEST FORUM

This is the best hand loading forum on the NET, bar none. Most of you guys are a great source of information. You are always patient with the new loaders and offer great advice. Some of you are truly experts in the field. I would like to personally thank each and every one of you for your time, but I can’t type worth a damn, except with 2 fingers. Rarely does anyone talk down to or pass judgment on each other. I know we don’t always agree with everything “said” here but that is OK, what works for you or me may not be what works for others and visa versa. This is just a discussion after all. The moderators are the best too, they don’t interrupt when it is not necessary. Thanks again guys and keep it coming.
Old September 9, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2
countryboyejb

Amen to that
Old September 9, 2011, 04:29 PM   #3
engineermike

YOU CAN'T TYPE! Oh man...
Old September 9, 2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Jim243

Thanks

Jim

Quote:
Some of you are truly experts in the field.
Not really, it's just that we have made all the mistakes, and hopefully fixed them.
Old September 9, 2011, 08:30 PM   #5
GeauxTide

Glad you like it. I've enjoyed it because you get honest, experience-based, answers and opines. The Staff is truly outstanding.
Old September 9, 2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Cowboy_mo

Geauxtide, I agree with you!

Jim, LOL about the mistakes and regarding the definition of experts "anyone who is more than 25 miles from home" so this being the www we all qualify
Old September 9, 2011, 09:28 PM   #7
engineermike

That's right Shootest, "I'm virtual."
Old September 9, 2011, 09:45 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Agree with all of the above, just wish Al Gore had invented the internet about 25 yrs sooner so i could have learned reloading here instead of at my bench or at the range. Actually, I had a good mentor but I didn't always think to ask him about my latest harebrained ideas.
And yes, the newbies that have done their homework and need a little help are very welcome and seem to get lots of enthusiastic support around here. Some of us get pretty excited about helping a new guy out. A few guys around here are bona fide experts in physics, metallurgy or machine work and their posts are often textbook quality.
Agreed about the staff as well, they've been around here so long they've seen most topics dozens of times but they still read and re-direct when necessary.
Yes, Shootest, you've come to the right place.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:59 PM   #9
jmortimer

"This is the best hand loading forum on the NET, bar none"

This is a great site no doubt, but it is not the best "hand loading" site/forum, not even close. Cast Boolits and Beartooth are both better for reloaders. Over-all, this site is real good.
Old September 10, 2011, 07:57 AM   #10
hooligan1

It's fun ain't it? Also the wealth of knowledge that is daily srieved from this forum is PRICELESS!!!!!
Old September 10, 2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Kevin Rohrer

Try Castboolits and The High Road.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 10, 2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Habaz72

I love shopping around for information and reading as many forums as I can but I joined this one to ask questions on because the advice seemed really sound and didn't seem to have nearly as many armchair quarterbacks as one would find most anywhere else on the internet.
Old September 10, 2011, 11:05 AM   #13
TXGunNut

I like Castboolits and feel that for aspiring boolit casters there is no better place to gain knowledge in that area. Some of the guys there are truly awesome in their knowledge of the subject. I've spent many, many hours reading posts there over the past several weeks and have greatly expanded my knowledge of cast boolits in my time there. Castpics is a good reference site, just haven't had time to explore it thoroughly. I reloaded over 25 years before I cast my first boolit. Some reloaders have no interest in cast boolits so will likely never venture to either site. Sad, but I've come to accept that. It's not for everyone.
THR is very similar to here, just don't see the point of reading two similar forums. I'd have to give up shooting or reloading to hang out there.
As far as an all around loading forum I think Shootest is right but that may just be because I like it here.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; September 11, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:27 AM   #14
engineermike

I may be virtual, but l like hanging out here too. Always seem to find the answer or a resource I am looking for. Can't say that about the other sites, and the people here a good to each other.
Old September 17, 2011, 04:46 PM   #15
adrians

if ya want to get really into handloading without using the j word boolits then CASTBOOLITS is the site to get involved in ,,,, bar none. also an honerable mention for THE CAST BULLET ASSOCIATION web site ,(if your gig is benchrest and competition shooting).
i only say this because i am bias ,i only shoot my own cast pills and non of my rifles ever see any copper,,,(except for the occasional g/c),,,, strange but true.
this site is awesome for most of my needs regarding everything else firearm related and i love it's very well informed members.
cheers fella's and ladies,
Old September 18, 2011, 01:39 PM   #16
Crankgrinder

yes this is a great forum, and it is possible to belong to more than one but i dont as of yet. no doubt many members here have made most if not all mistakes but i believe that is what it takes to develop a masters experience though it sure helps to learn of the experience of others so you dont have to make all the mistakes. that and the sharing of load data, techniques and so forth is why i enjoy reading this site daily